Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    there's so much deadwood in our squad, it's painful. .
    I don't think it's that bad..

ST: Sturridge, [buy new striker], Origi, Lambert
    AM: Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic, [buy one star attacking midfield player]
    CM: Henderson, Can, Lucas, Allen
    LB: Moreno, [buy another LB]
    RB: [buy new starting RB], keep one of Johnson/Flanagan/Wisdom
    CB: Sakho, Skrtel, [buy two new CBs, a starter and a 4th choice]
    GK: Buy a new GK and new backup

Striker: 15-35mil
    AM: 15-35mil
    LB: 5-15mil
    RB: 5-20mil
    CB: 20mil + less than 10mil
    GK: 10mil + less than 5mil

Sell: Enrique, Lovren, Assaidi, Mignolet, Borini, Balotelli, Coates, Alberto, Aspas - maybe we could scramble 50mil out of those?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I don't think it's that bad..

ST: Sturridge, [buy new striker], Origi, Lambert
    AM: Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic, [buy one star attacking midfield player]
    CM: Henderson, Can, Lucas, Allen
    LB: Moreno, [buy another LB]
    RB: [buy new starting RB], keep one of Johnson/Flanagan/Wisdom
    CB: Sakho, Skrtel, [buy two new CBs, a starter and a 4th choice]
    GK: Buy a new GK and new backup

Striker: 15-35mil(15-20m rotation, 30m first team)
    AM: 15-35mil (30-40m star player)
    LB: 5-15mil (no more than 10m for a moreno-backup)
    RB: 5-20mil (5-8m for very experienced, 12-20m for high quality depending on who he plays for)
    CB: 20mil + less than 10mil (20m solid commander is essential, 10m back up is decent)
    GK: 10mil + less than 5mil (10-15m for a consistent, quality keeper, 5m for a young backup)

Sell: Enrique (3-5m), Lovren (8-10m), Assaidi (5-7m), Mignolet (5-7m), Borini (6-7m), Balotelli (8-10m), Coates (2-3m), Alberto (4-6m), Aspas (4-6m) - maybe we could scramble 50mil out of those?
    at a fairly low estimate, you're looking at around the 50m mark for selling those, yeah
    we're still talking about investing at least another 50m on top of that, likely to be closer to 75m.

i would either spend big on a striker or spend big on an AM, not both.
    gotta be careful - arsenal spent big on ozil and didn't get a striker and it cost them because he didn't perform.
    likely to be around 50m for either a top AM and decent striker, or a top striker and decent AM.

(prsom)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    at a fairly low estimate, you're looking at around the 50m mark for selling those, yeah
    we're still talking about investing at least another 50m on top of that, likely to be closer to 75m.

i would either spend big on a striker or spend big on an AM, not both.
    gotta be careful - arsenal spent big on ozil and didn't get a striker and it cost them because he didn't perform.
    likely to be around 50m for either a top AM and decent striker, or a top striker and decent AM.

(prsom)
    Well I presume we make revenues on top of our costs which means we can invest some money back into the squad? I'd guess 20-30mil?

It's never that simple or easy but it shows that if we make a few good signings then the squad looks in good shape.

ReputationRep:
    Well I presume we make revenues on top of our costs which means we can invest some money back into the squad? I'd guess 20-30mil?

It's never that simple or easy but it shows that if we make a few good signings then the squad looks in good shape.
    i'm just worried the owners will be conscious of how much we spent last summer and not want to invest much more :/

yeah, it'll never work out like that - we'll probably won't sell half of those players
    not bothered about a star AM because i'm confident in the ones we have, although if we were to make a big signing like that, i'd hope it was only after we'd bought where we need to buy.

we do need a big player to boost morale and to make the world take notice; we aren't really a club that brings in superstars
    if we ever have one, it's because we've developed them here.
    would just be nice to see us go big on a player that is well known and proven quality.

ReputationRep:
    How can you dismiss Lovren after half a season? I doubt Rogers will be willing to sell either tbh but If he's going for £10M I expect Arsene to pounce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    How can you dismiss Lovren after half a season? I doubt Rogers will be willing to sell either tbh but If he's going for £10M I expect Arsene to pounce
    lovren + 5m for koscielny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i'm just worried the owners will be conscious of how much we spent last summer and not want to invest much more :/

yeah, it'll never work out like that - we'll probably won't sell half of those players
    not bothered about a star AM because i'm confident in the ones we have, although if we were to make a big signing like that, i'd hope it was only after we'd bought where we need to buy.

we do need a big player to boost morale and to make the world take notice; we aren't really a club that brings in superstars
    if we ever have one, it's because we've developed them here.
    would just be nice to see us go big on a player that is well known and proven quality.
    The owners are learning as they go along but I think they understand that if you standstill then you get left behind. They continued to make sure money was invested into the team at the Red Sox who have the 5th biggest wage bill in baseball.

Part of the problem is that football signings are so hit and miss. Even big money signings do flop quite badly (see Torres) so perhaps FSG are reluctant to overspend on one signing? The flip side is that they sanctioned the money for Sanchez so they do know they need top quality to make the waves.

The other issue is that we have so many issues in the squad that we can't do a Chelsea and make 3 strong signings (Costa, Fabregas, Luis) since we have more like 5-6 positions that we need to sort.

ReputationRep:
    Because were Liverpool fans, of course we overreact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    lovren + 5m for koscielny
    You really rate Kos don't you? Surprised Sakho isn't on the sell list tbh

ReputationRep:
    Cos he's been really bad and we massively overpaid.

I imagine we'll hold onto Sakho, Skrtel and Lovren going into next season. Toure will probably leave on a free and we'll either buy a youngster or bring back Iloris/Wisdom to be 4th choice.

ReputationRep:
    Sakho has been much better since he's come back into the side. Personally I think he's our best ball player CB.

ReputationRep:
    without him your defence would be laughable.
    nah, sakho is quality, just needs a little more time to gain some consistenct and composure on the ball.
    sometimes he's ridiculously nervy, sometimes he can play a great ball forward.

I imagine we'll hold onto Sakho, Skrtel and Lovren going into next season. Toure will probably leave on a free and we'll either buy a youngster or bring back Iloris/Wisdom to be 4th choice.
    paying 20m for a new defender and he turns out worse than the reserve CB we all berated and laughed at last season?
    is there any reason to keep him?

sakho, skrtel and a new addition would be nice.
    although i don't think rodgers will have the balls to admit he messed up on lovren and just sell him for a cut price.
    wisdom has been impressive on loan, might be worth keeping him next season as a 4th.

ReputationRep:
    The owners are learning as they go along but I think they understand that if you standstill then you get left behind. They continued to make sure money was invested into the team at the Red Sox who have the 5th biggest wage bill in baseball.

Part of the problem is that football signings are so hit and miss. Even big money signings do flop quite badly (see Torres) so perhaps FSG are reluctant to overspend on one signing? The flip side is that they sanctioned the money for Sanchez so they do know they need top quality to make the waves.

The other issue is that we have so many issues in the squad that we can't do a Chelsea and make 3 strong signings (Costa, Fabregas, Luis) since we have more like 5-6 positions that we need to sort.
    i hope you're right.
    i do like our owners; they know how to run a business but they also listen and that's key.

true, signings are unpredictable but the problem is that we can't afford ours to be.
    torres was one of the biggest flops in history, but what is 50m to chelsea?
    if we bought a big money flop, it could completely ruin our season simply because we don't have the finances/investment to bail ourselves our like united/city/chelsea can.

yes, we do have our problems however there are clear priorities.
    a GK and a striker would sort the two biggest issues in our side.
    our defence wouldn't be instantly fixed but it would be a little more solid, allowing us to hold out until the summer when we could invest more in to it.

ReputationRep:

You could have said the same about Lovren this season.

Going into next season Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren and possibly Reid? with proper defensive coaching, New keeper and Schneiderlin as a proper holding midfielder will increase defensive stability

(Original post by Lúcio)
    without him your defence would be laughable.
    nah, sakho is quality, just needs a little more time to gain some consistenct and composure on the ball.
    sometimes he's ridiculously nervy, sometimes he can play a great ball forward.

paying 20m for a new defender and he turns out worse than the reserve CB we all berated and laughed at last season?
    is there any reason to keep him?
    Isn't Sakho an example of player improvement after a unconvincing poor first season

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Sakho an example of player improvement after a unconvincing poor first season
    tbh he was always a beast, you could see his core qualities and domination in the air and on the ball when he played for france.
    the difference is that we could see at an international level what he could do, so it's much easier to stick with him and hope he develops similar consistency at liverpool.

with lovren, there isn't really anything to compare with.
    i don't see any standout qualities that sets him apart from the defenders we currently have.
    i understand it's harsh to not give him that much of an opportunity, but this season is absolutely essential for us and we can't afford to have an idiot in defence who makes a critical error every single match.

ReputationRep:
    Assaidi to Al-Ahli for £4.7m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Just being honest. Don't see how we'll manage it. The points gap isn't significant, but I think we'll continue to keep losing silly points imo.
    Agreed. Looking at it from a systematic perspective it just means Liverpool can't afford any other slip ups. A draw again Leicester when you need a 40 point second half of season was the final part of an already fragile straw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Agreed. Looking at it from a systematic perspective it just means Liverpool can't afford any other slip ups. A draw again Leicester when you need a 40 point second half of season was the final part of an already fragile straw.
    over the last 5 years, the average points total for a 4th placed team was 71.8 points - let's round to 72.
    now this year will most likely be a very low scoring 4th place which is pretty good for us

after 21 games, 4th place holds 37 points.
    extrapolating that to the end of the season, 4th place is predicted to have about 67 points.
    this is of course assuming that the general form of the league continues (which it may well not).

i understand we cannot afford silly little slip ups, but considering where we are right now, nearly the entire season so far without our best player, it isn't as bad as you all think.

tbh, instead of calculating and predicting how many points we'll get, i always prefer to just look at the table.
    4 points behind arsenal who are up against city, villa and spurs
    we have villa, west ham and everton

all 3 of our games are winnable - we'll certainly want retribution for our losses to the first two, and everton are abysmal this season; wouldn't be out of the question for us to get 9 points there (especially with sturridge back) and suddenly we're right up in the mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    It's more than possible. Squad is quite large when players are fully fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    over the last 5 years, the average points total for a 4th placed team was 71.8 points - let's round to 72.
    now this year will most likely be a very low scoring 4th place which is pretty good for us

after 21 games, 4th place holds 37 points.
    extrapolating that to the end of the season, 4th place is predicted to have about 67 points.
    this is of course assuming that the general form of the league continues (which it may well not).

i understand we cannot afford silly little slip ups, but considering where we are right now, nearly the entire season so far without our best player, it isn't as bad as you all think.

tbh, instead of calculating and predicting how many points we'll get, i always prefer to just look at the table.
    4 points behind arsenal who are up against city, villa and spurs
    we have villa, west ham and everton

all 3 of our games are winnable - we'll certainly want retribution for our losses to the first two, and everton are abysmal this season; wouldn't be out of the question for us to get 9 points there (especially with sturridge back) and suddenly we're right up in the mix.
    I look at a things on more of a systematic basis. I just struggle to see Liverpool achieving 68 points to be honest. I think 64 is more realistic. We'll see, I hope Liverpool and Southampton get third and fourth, I really do. But I can't see anything else other than Arsenal 3rd and Man United 4th unfortunately.

(Original post by jam277)
    It's more than possible. Squad is quite large when players are fully fit.
    Fair enough, I just don't think it's likely. I may be just being pessimistic, but I would think it's more realist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.