The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
Barca would like Neymar to join after the Olympics.....
Mmm i dunno whether we can afford it though. We made profits this year and we would sort of be taking a step back if we were to sign him although after his performances I wouldn't exactly mind. Also we need a Center back desperately.
TheInvincibles14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by johnharris19944)
Mmm i dunno whether we can afford it though. We made profits this year and we would sort of be taking a step back if we were to sign him although after his performances I wouldn't exactly mind. Also we need a Center back desperately.
The thing is, Neymar is a superstar signing and if you get him it shows that the club is serious about having another season of domination. Last year was a disappointing season (by Barca's outrageous standards) and it's the perfect way to go in terms of appeasing the fan's and your also signing an extremely talented player who could become one of the world's best under the right guidance.

Yeah I think you need a CB, that's why you were after Koscielny but he signed a new contract at Arsenal. You have Puyol (although he's going to retire soon), Pique, Mascherano and Abidal (not many years left in him), which is alright but it's definitely an area in which you need to improve. Shame you missed out on Thiago Silva, the guy's a monster.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
The thing is, Neymar is a superstar signing and if you get him it shows that the club is serious about having another season of domination. Last year was a disappointing season (by Barca's outrageous standards) and it's the perfect way to go in terms of appeasing the fan's and your also signing an extremely talented player who could become one of the world's best under the right guidance.

Yeah I think you need a CB, that's why you were after Koscielny but he signed a new contract at Arsenal. You have Puyol (although he's going to retire soon), Pique, Mascherano and Abidal (not many years left in him), which is alright but it's definitely an area in which you need to improve. Shame you missed out on Thiago Silva, the guy's a monster.
Thiago went to PSG so we stood no chance in outbidding them. Who im really disappointed we havent made a big push for is Mats Hummels, he would be perfect to replace Puyol. Also Benedikt Howedes and Daniel Agger i wouldn't mind them going after. Another player i would like to see them go for is Brazil League center back Dede who was voted by fans and players as the player of the season not Neymar. Hes fast and brilliant in the air as well as composed on the ball.
simoncino
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by johnharris19944)
Thiago went chasing after the money so in a way im glad we didnt get him. Who im really disappointed we havent made a big push for is Mats Hummels, he would be perfect to replace Puyol. Also Benedikt Howedes and Daniel Agger i wouldn't mind them going after. Another player i would like to see them go for is Brazil League center back Dede who was voted by fans and players as the player of the season not Neymar. Hes fast and brilliant in the air as well as composed on the ball.
Not true at all. He didn't want to leave Milan one bit. The club pushed him out.

EDIT: Whoever negged me.. why? Please speak up rather than pettily clicking a thumb..
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
Juve are going to walk Serie A at this rate. They've weakened both Inter and Udinese directly whilst PSG has weakened Milan and Napoli. Truly astounding.
Tbf, it was all inter domination after the calciopolli scandal, juve have Serie A, predict inter for 2nd and milan for 3rd.

There's always lazio and roma too, dunno what's happening with roma while lazio have a pretty good team overall. I think roma/napoli/lazio will get 4th place.
I Kant Spall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If Conte does indeed accept a plea and get suspended for 3-4 months or more, I doubt Juve will repeat. Inter have undoubtedly improved while Milan has their weakest squad I have ever seen. Every year I say Udinese will struggle to finish in the top half of the table but then they surprise me so I won't do it again this year.

At any rate, Serie A will hopefully have a major reshuffling this year. If Conte stays:

1) Juve
2) Inter
3) Roma
4) Fiorentina

If Conte leaves:

1) Inter
2) Roma
3) Fiorentina
4) Juve

Going down, I predict:

18) Parma
19) Pescara
20) Siena

Fiore has a new, great manager in Montella and already made some nice moves in the transfer market by picking up Matias Fernández and some young Egyptian CB who looks promising.

If you want to start following Serie A but were never really sure where/when/how to start, this is a good year. No one team looks really dominant, and here's a decent blog posting on choosing an Italian team to follow.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by I Kant Spall)
If Conte does indeed accept a plea and get suspended for 3-4 months or more, I doubt Juve will repeat. Inter have undoubtedly improved while Milan has their weakest squad I have ever seen. Every year I say Udinese will struggle to finish in the top half of the table but then they surprise me so I won't do it again this year.

At any rate, Serie A will hopefully have a major reshuffling this year. If Conte stays:

1) Juve
2) Inter
3) Roma
4) Fiorentina

If Conte leaves:

1) Inter
2) Roma
3) Fiorentina
4) Juve

Going down, I predict:

18) Parma
19) Pescara
20) Siena

Fiore has a new, great manager in Montella and already made some nice moves in the transfer market by picking up Matias Fernández and some young Egyptian CB who looks promising.

If you want to start following Serie A but were never really sure where/when/how to start, this is a good year. No one team looks really dominant, and here's a decent blog posting on choosing an Italian team to follow.
Can't see parma going down, I think donadoni has turned their fortunes from when he took over and with giovinco potentially staying they'll be fine in the bottom half, I think genoa are potentially a team that can go down.
I Kant Spall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
Can't see parma going down, I think donadoni has turned their fortunes from when he took over and with giovinco potentially staying they'll be fine in the bottom half, I think genoa are potentially a team that can go down.
As a Sampdoria fan I'd love it if Genoa went down but last year was probably just a fluke. They have a strong squad, and cash from the Palacio sale. Giovinco is officially with Juve now, which leaves Parma without their star player. The reason for their run at the end was Donadoni tried the 3-5-2, like Udinese and Juve have had success with, and allowed Giovinco to just roam. His loss will be massive.
Straight up G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
****ing hate Spain. They won the World Cup, the Euros twice, all the age group tournaments the U-21 Euros last year, the Olympics...

Oh. What's that you say? Spain lost to Japan? Anomaly, they've been robbed by the ref as usual, they'll steamroller the other two teams who don't even deserve to be on the same pitch as Spain. Spain's under-15 reserves could probably thrash them. Then they'll go on to sleepwalk their way through the knockout rounds as usual until they school their opponents in the final.

teehehehe
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 6 years ago
Spain :facepalm2:

That is all tbh.

Oh, and the 2014 and the 2018 world cup isn't looking so good at this rate
TheBallWinner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can't see Inter getting past AC or Juventus.
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by S-man10)
Spain :facepalm2:

That is all tbh.

Oh, and the 2014 and the 2018 world cup isn't looking so good at this rate
:facepalm2: You are so over dramatic at times. It will be basically the same squad at Brazil '14.
DH1'
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Serie A fixtures announced

First week: (25th/26th August)

Fiorentina v Udinese
Juventus v Parma
Milan v Sampdoria
Atalanta v Lazio
ChievoVerona v Bologna
Genoa v Cagliari
Palermo v Napoli
Pescara v Inter
Roma v Catania
Siena v Torino
DH1'
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ever Banega and cars just don't mix do they. :eek:
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
:facepalm2: You are so over dramatic at times. It will be basically the same squad at Brazil '14.
Yup, literally the only key player that wouldn't play in the world cup would be xavi, who was poor in the euros anyway and(dare I say it) there are other alternatives for the guy.

I still think world cup is brazils for the taking and spain 2nd, germany will have another piece of humbling semi final heartache again after smashing their group stages.
(Original post by TheBallWinner)
Can't see Inter getting past AC or Juventus.
I can, Inter have weakened themselves with selling lucio and cesar, handanovic is a more than capable replacement for cesar, I haven't looked too much at ranocchia though so can't say. Now look at milan, they've weakened themselves heavily by selling ibra, nesta and thiago silva.

Juve look stupidly strong this year, still expect them to get nowhere in the champions league though, they'll get to the quarters if they don't face a CL heavyweight.
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
2018 and 2022, mind
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by S-man10)
2018 and 2022, mind
Spain will be contenders at 2018 as well imo. It would probably be the last tournament for players like Casillas, Pique, Ramos, Alba, Fabregas, Mata, Busquets and a few others.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
Spain will be contenders at 2018 as well imo. It would probably be the last tournament for players like Casillas, Pique, Ramos, Alba, Fabregas, Mata, Busquets and a few others.
Really? Casillas I can understand and would be surprised if he continues beyond 2016 Euros, but the rest will only be between 29 and 32.
Darth Vader 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been following Malaga's financial situation for the last few days (for obvious reasons) and it looks like that today is their deadline to clear all their debt. Punishment is that they get relegated from La Liga and disqualified from competing in the Champions League.

Personally, I don't see them actually getting that punishment even if they fail to meet the deadline but it's interesting that their "Oil-Money" owner isn't willing to clear the debt.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
I've been following Malaga's financial situation for the last few days (for obvious reasons) and it looks like that today is their deadline to clear all their debt. Punishment is that they get relegated from La Liga and disqualified from competing in the Champions League.

Personally, I don't see them actually getting that punishment even if they fail to meet the deadline but it's interesting that their "Oil-Money" owner isn't willing to clear the debt.
He still wants to sell the club, doesn't he? It would probably behoove him to clear debts either way, then - he'd probably get a significantly lower price for a Segunda side, not to mention all the players subsequently wanting to leave as well.

With regards to Cazorla in particular, though, Sky reported the other day that the potential sale of the club won't affect him (in terms of wanting to leave).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.74%
No (573)
60.32%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.95%

Watched Threads