Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Diaby is still a good squad player, no doubt about that.

Vela offers something a little different but he's not really made for the English game, he'd be excellent in Spain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Diaby is still a good squad player, no doubt about that.
    No he isn't.

Denilson is actually better, in the sense that he knows how to do a job against mid-range teams. Diaby is a persistent liability.

Diaby under Mourinho/Ferguson could possibly work. Under Wenger, no chance in hell.

ReputationRep:
    Besides, there is no such thing as a 'good squad player.' You're either a good player or you're not, and Diaby is most definitely not.

It's time to build this squad from the ground up.

Fabregas is going to go sooner or later, we all know that. It'll be a miracle if he doesn't go this year. I say let him go now, as I did last season. Better to be pro-active and buy where required rather than wait until he leaves and try to fill the hole he vacates. It's no good building a team around him (as we always do) then this year or next year when he goes having a complete 'oh $hit' moment.

Diaby needs to go, Rosicky needs to go, Denilson, Bendtner all should leave. None of them offer Arsenal anything.

Arshavin stays because he's just off-form.

Van Persie stays but only just. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're injured half the time. If you have a tool and can't use it then it's not really a tool.

Almunia goes, Fabianski goes, Szcezezezeezny given one more season to improve (he really isn't good at all, just better than the alternative).

Of course this will never happen, because we'd barely have 11 men to put on the pitch. Just a sad state of affairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    No he isn't.

Denilson is actually better, in the sense that he knows how to do a job against mid-range teams. Diaby is a persistent liability.

Diaby under Mourinho/Ferguson could possibly work. Under Wenger, no chance in hell.
    Denilson looks like a player who won a competition in order to turn out for his favourite team.

ReputationRep:
    Diaby always runs like he has a woman's play toy in his backside.

Yes, dinosaurs are still alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatest21)
    Diaby always runs like he has a woman's play toy in his backside.

Yes, dinosaurs are still alive.
    Yes, he does run like a T-rex. But he's still good at running, his height helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Yes, he does run like a T-rex. But he's still good at running, his height helps
    I just hope whomever is in charge come the end of the season, that they purchase some good players worthy of the Arsenal shirt. Not like a few I can mention **cough** Bendtner **cough**

ReputationRep:
    Bendtner is just a tramp found on the streets whos been given an Arsenal shirt. Who on earth EVER told him he could be a striker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    I still think Diaby has it in him, maybe a change of manager will bring the best out of him.

Such a frustrating player but the quality is so clear. He can dribble past a whole team like they don't exist, he has a mean right foot and is very good on the left as well, he's also defensively sound when he tries.
    Wasnt there a game a few seasons ago on Match of the Day where they pointed out Diaby only touched the ball with his left foot 4 times?

I do agree though, Diaby has the attributes to be similar to Yaya Toure for instance, I wouldn't get rid of him this season.

ReputationRep:
    Watched the press conference, it seems the more pressure Arsene comes under, the more he seems to become more stubborn as he runs out of ideas. He doesn't respond kindly to journalists who are being quite reasonable and makes it difficult for them.

ReputationRep:
    Diaby is a decent player but he doesn't fit the Arsenal system at all he takes an absolute age on the ball even to give it square, every quick move breaks down when it gets to him

ReputationRep:
    I cannot sit there and be placid like I am on dope - Arsene Wenger

Instead of always playing a DM such as Diaby, Song, Denilson etc... I think we need to change our formation, or at least have a holding midfielder who can consistently keep possession and everything organized, something which I can't see the likes of Denllson or Diaby doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Besides, there is no such thing as a 'good squad player.' You're either a good player or you're not, and Diaby is most definitely not.

Fabregas is going to go sooner or later, we all know that. It'll be a miracle if he doesn't go this year. I say let him go now, as I did last season. Better to be pro-active and buy where required rather than wait until he leaves and try to fill the hole he vacates. It's no good building a team around him (as we always do) then this year or next year when he goes having a complete 'oh $hit' moment.

Diaby needs to go, Rosicky needs to go, Denilson, Bendtner all should leave. None of them offer Arsenal anything.

Van Persie stays but only just. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're injured half the time. If you have a tool and can't use it then it's not really a tool.

Almunia goes, Fabianski goes, Szcezezezeezny given one more season to improve (he really isn't good at all, just better than the alternative).

Of course this will never happen, because we'd barely have 11 men to put on the pitch. Just a sad state of affairs.
    I think you are the only person that thought about Van Perise acrually leaving. And you think Van Persie stays only "just". He may be injured half of the time, but when he isn't, he is one of the best forwards around. I think we should buy another striker to support him and he could replace him when he gets injured. All depending on what formation we play of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    Bendtner is just a tramp found on the streets whos been given an Arsenal shirt. Who on earth EVER told him he could be a striker?
    Lol, who on earth told him he could be a footballer, let alone a striker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)

Wouldn't it be easier to just mention the players you think should stay?

Arshavin's only gonna get worse. We might as well let him go while we can still get good money for him. As for the goalkeeper situation, Szczensy isn't bad. I think he's got number 1 potential. But we do need a better number 1, though. We're not gonna win trophies with potential. Unfortunately Wenger refuses to see that.

ReputationRep:
    Highly doubt we'll be switching from 4-2-3-1 next season.

Those talking about Diaby, thought you might like to see these chalkboards of his performance vs 'Pool:

48/52 passes.

7/8 tackles.

Both impressive, especially considering this was his second game back and a game where once a lot of the team were being sloppy and lacking concentration under the pressure of needing a result. I'm not gonna deny getting pissed off with the guy myself at times; his style of play, seeming lack of care and the fact that he could clearly be so much more are often infuriating, but there's no denying he can do a job for us, even if it isn't what he's capable of. Selling him? I think it'd be worth considering if we could get a figure that's close to the value of player he could be, it'd help add funds to bring in some other types of player and it'd show the team that natural talent isn't enough, you need to work to be your best if you're playing for us. In all honesty though, he's a good player to keep around, he has the physical element to his game, is a fantastic dribbler and with more gametime could start showing the form he did around Christmas/New year last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad4footie)
    Wouldn't it be easier to just mention the players you think should stay?

Arshavin's only gonna get worse. We might as well let him go while we can still get good money for him. As for the goalkeeper situation, Szczensy isn't bad. I think he's got number 1 potential. But we do need a better number 1, though. We're not gonna win trophies with potential. Unfortunately Wenger refuses to see that.
    He's number 1 quality already and he'll never reach his full potential unless he gets gametime at the top level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    How does that mean he isn't/wasn't a goalkeeper? Are being a countdown contestant and a goalkeeper mutually exclusive or something?
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Yes, because I had to take more than a day out of my life to appear on Countdown. :rolleyes:

What makes you say I'm no 'keeper? I'm not in amazing shape, but I've just won our team's player of the year award for the second consecutive season and was told last year by our then-captain that a lot of the other managers had been praising my ability.

It's important to remember that being a 'keeper isn't just about reflexes and agility (which I still have to some extent), it's more about co-ordinating and communicating with your defence, bravery when going to win the ball from strikers' feet (my specialty) and positioning.

I'm sure you can verify that I'm most certainly not a **** 'keeper (even though the game you watched me in I had an obviously damaged elbow).

Either way, the comment you've made, Ziz, is frankly preposterous and irrelevant. Being on Countdown has no correlation to footballing ability.

If you're going to say 'how come no footballers are ever on it then?' bear in mind that less people have been on Countdown in its entire history than there are players at clubs in the Football League, and Clarke Carlisle was in fact on it recently (not long after me, in fact).
    My statement had nothing to do with the fact that you appeared on Countdown. I was saying that through Countdown I saw you. I'm sorry, there is absolutely no way that you are a quality goal keeper. I say this for several reasons. Firstly, it wasn't long ago that you made it clear in your 'about me' section that you were not playing for the Uni team(s), instead you said you were a utility player for the Maths Society team and often ended up in goal. Secondly, your football understanding was never your strength. RobbieC and you used to run this thread with exciting vocabulary and consistent optimism, however understanding of football was never present and we have since witnessed RobbieC give up his leadership due to this. Without a good understanding of what's happening on the pitch then there is no way you can play in goal. Thirdly, what I saw on Countdown was certainly no goalkeeper. If you are a decent goal keeper, then David Mitchell is Iker Cassilas.

ReputationRep:
    Diaby out for Bolton game and big doubt for ManU game.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I haven't tried out for the Uni team is because of the extortionate membership fees I'd have to pay - they're desperately short of keepers. :fyi:

Other than that, obvious troll is obvious. You've never seen me play, until then you can keep your stupid trap shut. You know no more about Arsenal than I do. :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.