Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Na Spurs will miss out on top 4 imo. Arsenal will come 4th personally as I believe they have enough to finish above Liverpool and Spurs(if you consider Chelsea, City and United as the top 3 candidates).

I don't think Leicester will be above 6th place either without Kante.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Psff Man Utd have an average squad at best.
    But they ain't going to take europa seriously until the latter stages, they're likely to have Paul Pogba in midfield, just bought Ibra and Mkhitaryan, regardless of whether the signings are overrated it is at the very least stronger than Arsenal, which essentially is the barometer of making top 4.

If Arsenal were to get a striker and a winger, then there's title talk though. So really it's a fine balance. Arsenal will still have enough for top 4 imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    But they ain't going to take europa seriously until the latter stages, they're likely to have Paul Pogba in midfield, just bought Ibra and Mkhitaryan, regardless of whether the signings are overrated it is at the very least stronger than Arsenal, which essentially is the barometer of making top 4.

If Arsenal were to get a striker and a winger, then there's title talk though. So really it's a fine balance. Arsenal will still have enough for top 4 imo.
    I dunno.. I'm still not convinced.
    In their defence, DDG is world class, Smalling is a good CB. Shaw coming back after a season of injury and the rest are functional but average. Midfield looks better with Pogba but it's a lot of pressure being the most expensive player in the world, the pace will be quicker and he'll be in a less dominant team compared to Juventus. Not sure if he'll be 100% ready from the get go. Ibra's lack of pace will probably be an issue. Mkhitaryan will do well. Not that many quality players and Mourinho has to gel them all..

ReputationRep:
    In their defence, DDG is world class, Smalling is a good CB. Shaw coming back after a season of injury and the rest are functional but average. Midfield looks better with Pogba but it's a lot of pressure being the most expensive player in the world, the pace will be quicker and he'll be in a less dominant team compared to Juventus. Not sure if he'll be 100% ready from the get go. Ibra's lack of pace will probably be an issue. Mkhitaryan will do well. Not that many quality players and Mourinho has to gel them all..
    The pace will be quicker but pretty sure that will suit Pogba. Mourinho is pretty good with functional defences with one or two good defensive players, he used a past it Ivanovic for the whole of 2014/15 and made the defence work e.g. I think the issue will be how Mourinho balances the defence and attack as that has often been a criticism of him in the past but he'd be able to play a higher line with Smalling and Bailly as the CBs instead of Terry and Cahill, when you look at it that way Ibra will benefit as he's closer to goal.

I think Mourinho will move the line deeper and press less as the season goes on which will eventually isolate Ibra in order to preserve the team over all competitions but I think he'll get enough points earlier in the season to make up for it.

Basically I don't think any team other than City or Chelsea can go above United, Liverpool have no europe but rely on a guy who's constantly injured for goals and while Klopp has tried to solve that by buying goalscoring midfielders in Mane and Wijnaldum, it is much less known how good they actually will be, questionable buys I'm essentially trying to say even if the logic in buying them is completely sound. Basically you're a Sturridge+Origi injury from being 8th imo. There's also the gelling part for you lot. Although if you were to gel, Sturridge is fit, Matip works out and the goalscoring midfielders actually score goals then really you could probably win the title.

Also I don't rate Spurs, they're completely irrelevant to me wrt title race and I don't think they're better than Arsenal so won't make top 4.

ReputationRep:
    Martial tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igggy)
    hope lallana doesnt get benched with all the new signings coming in. Really fits klopps style and put in some great performances last season. Had a decent euros too and should have started the iceland game. If he adds a few more goals he will have a special season
    Firmino should eat the bench more than lallana

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    3rd kit
    3rd kits are useless. U remember in 2014 they only used 3rd kit once

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    The pace will be quicker but pretty sure that will suit Pogba. Mourinho is pretty good with functional defences with one or two good defensive players, he used a past it Ivanovic for the whole of 2014/15 and made the defence work e.g. I think the issue will be how Mourinho balances the defence and attack as that has often been a criticism of him in the past but he'd be able to play a higher line with Smalling and Bailly as the CBs instead of Terry and Cahill, when you look at it that way Ibra will benefit as he's closer to goal.

I think Mourinho will move the line deeper and press less as the season goes on which will eventually isolate Ibra in order to preserve the team over all competitions but I think he'll get enough points earlier in the season to make up for it.

Basically I don't think any team other than City or Chelsea can go above United, Liverpool have no europe but rely on a guy who's constantly injured for goals and while Klopp has tried to solve that by buying goalscoring midfielders in Mane and Wijnaldum, it is much less known how good they actually will be, questionable buys I'm essentially trying to say even if the logic in buying them is completely sound. Basically you're a Sturridge+Origi injury from being 8th imo. There's also the gelling part for you lot. Although if you were to gel, Sturridge is fit, Matip works out and the goalscoring midfielders actually score goals then really you could probably win the title.

Also I don't rate Spurs, they're completely irrelevant to me wrt title race and I don't think they're better than Arsenal so won't make top 4.
    Yea I guess there are a lot of ifs and buts for every team. I don't think the Liverpool squad is any better than the Man Utd (just that Klopp has had 10 months to implement his ideas whereas Mourinho is still trying to sort his team and we have no European football).

Man City - better squad but new manager to adjust to the league
    Chelsea - no Europe and settled squad but new manager to adjust to the league
    Arsenal - settled squad and manager who always finished top 4
    Spurs - settled squad and team has done well for the last two seasons

I just think they are all better placed than Man Utd. Throw in the fact that the press will focus on every (bad) thing Man Utd do - with it being Man Utd + Mourinho + world's most expensive player.

ReputationRep:
    That kit is truly horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    3rd kits are useless. U remember in 2014 they only used 3rd kit once

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Twice, Stoke and Southampton away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Twice, Stoke and Southampton away.
    Twice, Southampton and Arsenal away The away game against Stoke we wore was the following season's third kit (which is a bit weird, I know some teams wear the new home kit for the final game of the season but not a third). We'll probably only wear this third strip against Bournemouth as well unless NB want it to be worn a certain number of times like Puma getting Arsenal to wear their away strip for every away game.
    At least the designs are different to Adidas and Nike cut and paste template on every club's kit. I thought NB produced the most consistent set of kits last season but this time they've gone back to the standard of the dreadful Warrior kits we had (though the goalkeeper ones they've released look nice).
    At least our NB kits are better than Celtic's, fluorescent yellow away and fluorescent pink third

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    That kit is truly horrific.
    It's not that bad.. they just are going for that highlighter look

ReputationRep:
    Yea I guess there are a lot of ifs and buts for every team. I don't think the Liverpool squad is any better than the Man Utd (just that Klopp has had 10 months to implement his ideas whereas Mourinho is still trying to sort his team and we have no European football).

Man City - better squad but new manager to adjust to the league
    Chelsea - no Europe and settled squad but new manager to adjust to the league
    Arsenal - settled squad and manager who always finished top 4
    Spurs - settled squad and team has done well for the last two seasons

I just think they are all better placed than Man Utd. Throw in the fact that the press will focus on every (bad) thing Man Utd do - with it being Man Utd + Mourinho + world's most expensive player.
    United have a fairly settled squad, not any less settled than Man City. Spurs will have extra time to gel but I simply don't think they're good enough over a season to go above United(well under Mourinho) who in all of his full seasons gets a team to 80 points. Plus I don't think United will take europa as seriously or will need to take it as seriously as City will with the CL(Pep's going to be judged on the CL as he's been doing a Mourinho and lost 4 CL semi finals in a row now)

I can see Arsenal being better placed than United if they got a striker/winger though but with Spurs I don't think the role players are strong enough over a season. United have the likes of Mata/Herrera/Rashford/Depay who can do a job from the bench but who do Spurs turn to? Nacer Chadli and a dutch striker who's quality is questionable considering the strength of that league.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...b-anymore.html

Klopp making digs at Man Utd already

ReputationRep:
    Press don't mean ****. These are professionals paid to do a job.

Also where's this idea of City having such a good squad. We forgetting that they just scraped 4th against a LVG United side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Press don't mean ****. These are professionals paid to do a job.

Also where's this idea of City having such a good squad. We forgetting that they just scraped 4th against a LVG United side.
    Come back when you've had a professional football career at the top level. Plenty of players have come out and said that the press scrutiny and fans in stadiums have affected them. Just because they're paid a lot doesn't change the fact they are human (and generally very athletic man-children in many cases).

ReputationRep:
    Come back when you've had a professional football career at the top level. Plenty of players have come out and said that the press scrutiny and fans in stadiums have affected them. Just because they're paid a lot doesn't change the fact they are human (and generally very athletic man-children in many cases).
    Might affect the players from mid table clubs e.g. Liverpool but when you're playing for one of the biggest teams in the world, things like press shouldn't affect your performances or else there's something wrong.

Being criticised when you're a footballer is part of the game, always has been and always will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Might affect the players from mid table clubs e.g. Liverpool but when you're playing for one of the biggest teams in the world, things like press shouldn't affect your performances or else there's something wrong.

Being criticised when you're a footballer is part of the game, always has been and always will be.
    Right.. playing on a bigger stage, in front of more fans, with more press scrutiny and criticism should effect your performances less :rolleyes:

While it is obviously part of the game, that doesn't mean it doesn't impact that footballers are still players. I guess OT is a library these days so Man Utd fans don't notice it but there's a reason why non-prawn sandwich brigade clubs try to have a hostile atmosphere - to affect the opposition and boost their own players.

ReputationRep:
    Right.. playing on a bigger stage, in front of more fans, with more press scrutiny and criticism should effect your performances less :rolleyes:

While it is obviously part of the game, that doesn't mean it doesn't impact that footballers are still players. I guess OT is a library these days so Man Utd fans don't notice it but there's a reason why non-prawn sandwich brigade clubs try to have a hostile atmosphere - to affect the opposition and boost their own players.
    Yes it should because there's a reason why you're playing on a bigger stage, in front of more fans with more press scrutiny. Not necessarily saying it won't impact players, but when you're at the top it shouldn't affect you. Players like Ronaldo and Ibra thrive off being hated and don't let it hinder their performances.

All bout that mentality.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Loris Karius out for 2 months, will return to UK. Broken hand.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.