The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by jjgoth
The commercial department can be broken into 4 different components. Warehouse/reception with Warehouse Assistants which deals with receiving depot and supplier deliveries, sorting them and sending back roll cages, pallets, etc.. General office with Admin Assistants who deal with central stores orders (carrier bags, deli wrap, anything non saleable really) and delivery paperwork checking. Cash office with Admin Assistants who do filling the ATMs, receiving and depositing money, counting and balancing cash from tills. Finally price control with Admin Assistants and Price & Advertising Controllers who look after the store ticketing, shelf edge advertising, hanging adverts, posters, deal with scanning errors and complete other pricing paperwork. There is often a Warehouse team leader and Admin team leader who look after each relevant bit whilst the Commercial Manager also investigates till shorts, contractor issues and store controllable costs. :-)

Hey thanks,

I saw a vacancy for a commercial team leader today but I am not sure if i can apply because today was my first shift and i am on probation for 3 months?
Does anyone know if i can apply?

I am inclined to leave it and get through at least 6 months before thinking of moving on.
Reply 861
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
That kind of thing is a little confusing at first, but it is the same for every new starter.

You will pick up the hang of it eventually, and it will take less time than you think. Supervisors are always on hand (just a press of a button away) to help you out if need be. :cool:

Good luck tomorrow.

Hey thanks,

Today was a bit manic for me! Not 1 second rest. Still havent got through with everything such as fruit and veg, had to ask the lady behind to tell me most of them and stuff like giftcards and coinstar but hopefully it will come to me. It does seem straightforward, its just learning how to get on top of it all!
Reply 862
Original post by Jamin
They also did away with automatic doors into the warehouse which really seemed like a step backwards...

if the auto doors were replaced by two sets of plastic door then it is to make the store more energy efficient in terms of heating. making it warmer in the store.

Original post by RJ100
Hey thanks,

Today was a bit manic for me! Not 1 second rest. Still havent got through with everything such as fruit and veg, had to ask the lady behind to tell me most of them and stuff like giftcards and coinstar but hopefully it will come to me. It does seem straightforward, its just learning how to get on top of it all!

when i'm called on to checkouts, i always look down the conveyor belt to see if they have any fruit/veg that requires going into the plu menu, if so I do my mega quick two haded scanning to pile loads at the customers end just before getting to the fruit/veg to give me time to go through the menu :colondollar:.
Original post by mug51
when i'm called on to checkouts, i always look down the conveyor belt to see if they have any fruit/veg that requires going into the plu menu, if so I do my mega quick two haded scanning to pile loads at the customers end just before getting to the fruit/veg to give me time to go through the menu :colondollar:.

If you're good with numbers, it might help to learn the PLU codes for some of the more common fruit and veg. I'm not allowed on checkouts anymore but I still know most of them:

1131086 - turnips
2332 - bananas
7375 - onions
6118 - garlic
3017 - pears
3107 - oranges
994 - lemons
7665 - limes
and the first 8 numbers of the discount card are the same for everybody :wink:.

Here's a link to more if you're really keen. :tongue:
Original post by RJ100
Hey thanks,

I saw a vacancy for a commercial team leader today but I am not sure if i can apply because today was my first shift and i am on probation for 3 months?
Does anyone know if i can apply?

I am inclined to leave it and get through at least 6 months before thinking of moving on.

I'm a commercial team leader and it can be quite a challenging job. I think it would be very difficult for a new starter, although it won't hurt to try
Original post by DarkMagic
If you're good with numbers, it might help to learn the PLU codes for some of the more common fruit and veg. I'm not allowed on checkouts anymore but I still know most of them:

1131086 - turnips
2332 - bananas
7375 - onions
6118 - garlic
3017 - pears
3107 - oranges
994 - lemons
7665 - limes
and the first 8 numbers of the discount card are the same for everybody :wink:.

Here's a link to more if you're really keen. :tongue:

I use turnips 4811 its a bit easier to remember:tongue:
Reply 866
Original post by daveriley
I'm a commercial team leader and it can be quite a challenging job. I think it would be very difficult for a new starter, although it won't hurt to try

What does the job mainly entail? Is it full time and how much money do you get?
Reply 867
I served customers after i did my pick up and i left the money in the till, was that ok? I was told that it is.

Also I forgot to give someone their change and waited for next transaction for the till to open and gave them their change, was that ok?
Original post by RJ100
I served customers after i did my pick up and i left the money in the till, was that ok? I was told that it is.

If a pick up is the same as a flight, then yes, that's fine. :smile:

Original post by RJ100
Also I forgot to give someone their change and waited for next transaction for the till to open and gave them their change, was that ok?

That's fine, too. You could also have done a No Sale between the two transactions if you wanted.
Reply 869
Original post by Liam6993
If a pick up is the same as a flight, then yes, that's fine. :smile:

That's fine, too. You could also have done a No Sale between the two transactions if you wanted.

Cheers :smile:
How do you check the balance on your love card?
Original post by Negotiator
How do you check the balance on your love card?

Ask a cashier to check, or if you are going through self-scan you can press gift card at the end and swipe it to see the balance :smile:
Reply 872
Had my Colleague performance review today - went VERY well!!

We've got the doors on the tobacco kiosk now!! NOOOOOO!!!
Reply 873
The new regional manager is visiting the store tomorrow. Never seen it so clean or the carts so level. Wonder where they hid everything......
I have my induction as a General Assistant at Sainbury's Local tomorrow :biggrin:

I have one question though... The guy on the phone told me to dress smart casual - I should have asked him really, but will I be okay wearing a dress? Or do I have to wear black work trousers? Does anyone know? Also, what shoes should I wear? Will open black pumps do or should I wear something more work-y?

I wouldn't be so worried, but the induction is 6 hours long, so I'm assuming I'll be given a uniform and put out to work for the last couple of hours at least? So I just want to make sure I'm dressed correctly!
Reply 875
Original post by mimimimi
I have my induction...

I just wore black trousers and a shirt with black pumps. You do get given a uniform but thats for you to ware the second day ( and beyond!). When you do actauly start working you cant ware pumps (health and safty apparently). The induction is lots of video watching and paper work, so no actual work.
Original post by NonaxD
I just wore black trousers and a shirt with black pumps. You do get given a uniform but thats for you to ware the second day ( and beyond!). When you do actauly start working you cant ware pumps (health and safty apparently). The induction is lots of video watching and paper work, so no actual work.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I think I'll just stick with a smart office-y dress and black pumps then... That's what I wore to the interview and that was fine anyway, I suppose. Video watching and paperwork... How exciting :wink:
Reply 877
I'm wondering, do Sainsbury's have prayer rooms for employees who might want to pray in their breaks?
Original post by tif49
I'm wondering, do Sainsbury's have prayer rooms for employees who might want to pray in their breaks?

In my store, our security guard prays in the TU Clothing changing rooms.
Does anyone know whether I give my resignation into my manager or HR? I've told her already but forgot to ask that and also what happens in terms of giving uniform back etc? Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending