Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ha ha i sense a pro-jc debate heating up here. phhew! it's getting kinda hot here! ha ha. sounds like nelly's song "it's getting hot in here so take off all your clothes..." jus tat it's not visual here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    But if you look at Zinc's post above...

A school can't possible be selective and comprehensive.

Or maybe i'm just missing something.
    state comprehensives like mine have to accept everyone within the catchment area. and comprehensive does mean accepting everyone.

i havent heard a grammar being called a selective comp. before but it may be that it means they accept anyone (regardless of race, religion etc.) but still based on academics. i dont know. this is really weird, i also dont understand how they can be seletive and a comp. as the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avril_elvina)
    ha ha i sense a pro-jc debate heating up here. phhew! it's getting kinda hot here! ha ha. sounds like nelly's song "it's getting hot in here so take off all your clothes..." jus tat it's not visual here.
    haha. not only pro-jc but pro-top5-jc coz alot of the posters here are from the those five.

when i was still in singapore i also aspired to go to RJC, VJ(coz most people from my ex-school flock to vj). But the RJ uniform for girls is ugly. haha. Temasek and NJ even uglier. And yes, uniform is very very important. lol .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    haha. not only pro-jc but pro-top5-jc coz alot of the posters here are from the those five.

when i was still in singapore i also aspired to go to RJC, VJ(coz most people from my ex-school flock to vj). But the RJ uniform for girls is ugly. haha. Temasek and NJ even uglier. And yes, uniform is very very important. lol .
    really? i like e environment in RJ. e play-hard-and-study-hard spirit. well thats what i observe from my frens there. e uniform looks al e same! HA HA. well sajc and acjc ones look nice. whch jc were u from? i prefer not wearing uniform tho like e sixth formers here. it's more relaxed n fun. tho some peeps do find it hard to choose their clothes. and e locals somehow haf to put make up ev dae when they spend 3/4 of their time in sch. it's jus funny. lol

ReputationRep:
    VJ uniforms are translucent. Can ANYTHING beat that? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    VJ uniforms are translucent. Can ANYTHING beat that? :rofl:
    tsk2 u r one obscene timon.

ReputationRep:
    Knogle and Nutter: ooooorite you just wait. *scowl.

Haha although granted, nobody paid much attention to asthetics when they made the TJ uniform :p:

ReputationRep:
    tsk2 u r one obscene timon.
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: hahahahaha!

Erm.

I've met a fair number of excellent guys from HC, and also snobbish folks from RJ.

VJ beats 'em all! ;yes;

Yes. I couldn't agree more.

Sigh. don't come back to visit VJ these few weeks. An air of menace is hanging over the whole school.

which reminds me. I have to go mug for eoys. :eek: wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acezhiquan)

Sigh. don't come back to visit VJ these few weeks. An air of menace is hanging over the whole school.

Good luck for them! I'll probably be back on College Day Open House... should be great fun! Anything special happening that day?

ReputationRep:

And tell us about Open House 2006 as well. I remember not particularly enjoying it last year (seemed like too few people around really). Are there any extraordinary plans for this year, and have you got the details of the programme by any chance? I can't even remember the exact date right now, though I know some of my batchmates intend to go and grab the opportunity to meet some teachers as well while they're at it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you can check out the website. it's gonna be on 14 Oct Sat. I'll be there...at my cca stall....

Details of programme on website as well

- Tour of college facilities
    - Subject Enquiry
    - CCA Booths
    - Principal's Presentation
    - Mass Dances, Goodies Bag and Lots of Fun Activities (not sure what this is, possibility of carnival rides, but not sure yet)

should be alright. see how this batch of SCs can pull it off. publicity seems ok. same nautical theme.. starboard

haha.... do tell me if you're going..... and say hi to me...(though that means both your highly elusive identities will be revealed)

ReputationRep:
    i remember going to the vjc open house 2 years ago. it was quite fun. there was this band trying to play marron 5 but they were not good. lol

really? i like e environment in RJ. e play-hard-and-study-hard spirit. well thats what i observe from my frens there. e uniform looks al e same! HA HA. well sajc and acjc ones look nice. whch jc were u from? i prefer not wearing uniform tho like e sixth formers here. it's more relaxed n fun. tho some peeps do find it hard to choose their clothes. and e locals somehow haf to put make up ev dae when they spend 3/4 of their time in sch. it's jus funny. lol
    i dont know what the environment is like. The uniform for girls in RJ is white blouse and green skirt which is a bit ewwww. Hm, i think all green uniform just suck. I like the acjc and sajc uniform as well as cjc - baby blue. but for boys thats not nice. lol.

I didnt go to JC. didnt even take my O levels. and yeah, I like not wearing uniform. I just throw on a pair of jeans and a tee shirt and grab a hoddie each day so its not too bad for me. My uniform last year was quite smart ->any black/grey trousers, white shirt with school tie and black blazer.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to be in 6th form..And I plan to crash JCs during my holidays..lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    i remember going to the vjc open house 2 years ago. it was quite fun. there was this band trying to play marron 5 but they were not good. lol

i dont know what the environment is like. The uniform for girls in RJ is white blouse and green skirt which is a bit ewwww. Hm, i think all green uniform just suck. I like the acjc and sajc uniform as well as cjc - baby blue. but for boys thats not nice. lol.

I didnt go to JC. didnt even take my O levels. and yeah, I like not wearing uniform. I just throw on a pair of jeans and a tee shirt and grab a hoddie each day so its not too bad for me. My uniform last year was quite smart ->any black/grey trousers, white shirt with school tie and black blazer.
    yeah argh. i didnt go t jc as well. flew off here after o lev. shld haf gone t acjc orientation come t think of it. now u make me miss jc! ha ha. i missed all e fun bits. (not mentioning the super stressy part when it comes to promo and busy cca life, juggling it with studies) yeah i noe jus grab hoodies here. easy and convenient. they probably wont care even if u jus climb outta bed n go t sch in pyjamas. lol.it's getting colder ev dae. bah. tho yestd is super hot. n 2dae is super cold. temp jus fluctuates again. jus like summer but a lil better. i hate BOILING HEAT. I can even fry eggs in my bedroom. lol. jk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the ceiling)
    I can't wait to be in 6th form..And I plan to crash JCs during my holidays..lol
    ha ha tat reminds me. i was thinkin of crashin rj during teachers dae. but my frens said i might b e only one in my sec sch u. and i dont noe anyone who can lend me rj u. so backed out of it. shld haf done one crazy thing or two during college life. while i still can

ReputationRep:
    oh general question to anyone:

What are UMS scores? Is it like exam marks in the A level's? How is it calculated? And for an international applying to cambridge/ucl/imperial, would a few points higher or lower make any difference to an application?

ReputationRep:
    oh general question to anyone:

What are UMS scores? Is it like exam marks in the A level's? How is it calculated? And for an international applying to cambridge/ucl/imperial, would a few points higher or lower make any difference to an application?
    Yup, UMS scores refer to the scores of your individual A Level modules/total AS/A2 grade. The maximum UMS score is always 600 for a subject taken at A Level. Those in the UK take several modules for the same subject, so each module is assigned a number of marks. Students ARE told their exact UMS score but this score is not revealed to universities, except in the case of Cambridge which asks applicants for their exact UMS scores in the additional CAF. Oxford and some other top universities will begin to receive your individual module GRADES beginning this application cycle, but there are plans for all universities to be given information about a student's exact UMS scores from next year onwards.

At A level (AS+A2 combined):
    240 = E
    300 = D
    360 = C
    420 = B
    480 = A

At just AS level (taken at the end of Year 1 - maximum score is 300):
    120 = e
    150 = d
    180 = c
    210 = b
    240 = a

Note that if someone tells you that they achieved AAAa, it usually means 3 As at A level and 1 A at AS level in a fourth subject.

Hope that cleared things up.

ReputationRep:
    And regarding the difference it makes to applications, I think it'll matter because surely someone with a UMS score of 590 for all 4 subjects is more academically inclined then someone with 480 in 4 subjects, although their grades may be the same. I doubt it matters much if the scores are similar though - there are other aspects of your application (interview for Oxbridge, for example) that would be taken into consideration. This is just probably used as a final distinguishing criteria, and perhaps considered when deciding offer conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Nutter: Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.