Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    next weeks episode looks awesome!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    This episode was very poorly written, in my opinion. The plot was poor; the characters were uninteresting and even annoying - honestly, I hate those kids so much; any mystery was just so blatantly obvious that there really was no mystery at all. Warwick Davis was blatantly the emperor from the first interaction with the group's captain. It was really just a hodge-podge of crap. Most of this episode could have been prevented by a lack of stupidity from what are seemingly meant to be intelligent characters: the Doctor, having encountered seemingly 'dead' cybermen a multitude of times before thought it'd be a great idea to leave two stupid kids sleeping alone with these "funny insects" and the cyberman husk floating about, instead of - I don't know - sending them back to sleep in the TARDIS and locking the door.

Then Clara, being fully aware that Doctor/Cyberplanner has full control of his hands, thinks it's a great idea to wave a remote detonator within arm's reach of his face; being already doubtful that it's actually the Doctor. Sure, the Cyberplanner didn't grab it in that moment, but she proceeds to do it again - then it grabs her arm - and instead of throwing it out of reach after the initial grab, she just holds it there until he works his way up her wrist, stealing the trigger, then pulverising it - apparently the Doctor's arm contains the strength to do that.

And of course, the cybermen are able to move at such a speed that time (practically) stops relative to the cyberman. Only when it wants to kidnap a little girl, however. Not when they want to assault a castle or anything. Then a marriage proposal out of complete nowhere? What the **** did that add to the story? Completely out of left field on that one. Those examples are only the beginning of stuff that made NO sense this episode!

The dialogue was boring; the characters were uninteresting - even Clara wasn't that special this time round: the only highlights of the episode were the "how do I know you're really the Doctor?" scene purely for her facial expressions, and the amusement gained in seeing her be bossy to a bunch of pussyfooting army rejects. The 'fight' scenes inside of the Doctor's head were pretty great, in my opinion, but the constant spinning and arguing when he was first took over made me feel uncomfortable more than anything.

I missed the writer of this episode on the intro sequence, so checked after the episode was over. I honestly can't believe that it was Neil Gaiman that wrote something like this: after publishing some fantastic sci-fi novels himself, and writing the massive success of an episode that was The Doctor's Wife (a favourite episode of mine!)...I just find it hard to believe that he wrote an episode of such poor quality.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a hard critic of Doctor Who, having been a fan of it since series 1 in 2005 and I have to say that this episode excited me. A lot! The cybermen were actually amazing in this episode. I loved how they can upgrade so easily to avoid being defeated by the same thing. It keeps it fresh and exciting. The dialogue in this wasn't so annoying as it was before. I actually thought the fight in the Doctor's head was brilliantly done. The kids didn't ruin it at all. They were good. Overall - 8/10 for this episode

Next episode is going to be AMAZING!

ReputationRep:
    Thought the episode was great.

I loved the use of chess to battle an opponent reminded me of The Curse of Fenric

Was worried the kids would be annoying... and then they spend most the story standing around with blue flashing lights and without lines.

ReputationRep:
    Overall it wasn't what I expected from a Niel Gaiman episode. Finale looks very promising though!

ReputationRep:
    This trailer seems to reveal who Clara is?

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Verdict; good but not great

Moffat's spin on every part of the episode irritated me but that's nothing new. Concept Ok, but patched together and feeling forced somehow. Despite that, I thought the pacing was brilliant, a thousand times better than last weeks!

I liked the new cybermen; didn't think I would like new reversions of monsters after the skittles darleks but actually thought they added something fresh and exciting to the storyline. The kids were predictably cheesy; didn't really add much to the episode and the girls acting annoyed me (or maybe it was the writing?)

Unsure about the struggle in the doctors head but guess I didn't hate it.
    I also liked Clara in this one, probably most so far out of all the episodes.

Like I said; good but not great by any means. Not bad

ReputationRep:
    What could have been one of the great episodes turned out to be pathetic. The cybermen should be saved only for the big episodes, they should not be used for useless fillers. I do not want to sound mean, but the actors who play the kids are ****ing terrible. The girl was on and off with her acting, half of the time it was very good, other it was mediocre. But the boy, it was just terrible throughout. He read all of his lines the same way with no expression and as if he hadn't studied them at all. I know they're young and will hopefully get better oevr time with experience but they shouldn't have gotten a role on such a high profile show with that type of performance.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I haven't been keeping up with the news recently but have they redesigned the faces to look more classic?

ReputationRep:
    Very good episode.. 8/10

Was not a fan of the girl and thought the episode was a little slower paced than it should have been, would have also preferred a larger battle than a band of rag tags.

Almost certainly however the best episode since the Pandorica and perhaps the best single episode since the Tennant years.

Next week's finale looks very good.

Can anybody link me to the 3 minute prequel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wild Youth)
    Verdict; good but not great

Moffat's spin on every part of the episode irritated me but that's nothing new. Concept Ok, but patched together and feeling forced somehow. Despite that, I thought the pacing was brilliant, a thousand times better than last weeks!

I liked the new cybermen; didn't think I would like new reversions of monsters after the skittles darleks but actually thought they added something fresh and exciting to the storyline. The kids were predictably cheesy; didn't really add much to the episode and the girls acting annoyed me (or maybe it was the writing?)

Unsure about the struggle in the doctors head but guess I didn't hate it.
    I also liked Clara in this one, probably most so far out of all the episodes.

Like I said; good but not great by any means. Not bad
    I thought Neil Gaiman did this ep...? I agree with what you said though, essentially the cybermen were good but everything else was either mediocore or bad. Although I didnt like the pacing much...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitched)

Spoiler:
    Show
    It doesn't to me?

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Can anybody link me to the 3 minute prequel?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018wbj2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    It doesn't to me?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018wbj2
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "I'm Clara Oswald I was born to save The Doctor"

I'm guessing there's more to the Clara mystery than that.

ReputationRep:
    I thought his name was going to be revealed in the 50th. Seems a more fitting date.

The wait to November is going to be horrible though

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Clara is River Song?

We see River's grave, in the tardis it's almost like River knows what she is about to do, we know he whispered River his name when they married.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "I'm Clara Oswald I was born to save The Doctor"

I'm guessing there's more to the Clara mystery than that.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That particular phrase is very (un-) like River

ReputationRep:
    I loved that episode, made the Cybermen a credible threat again. Brilliant. More like that please.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Clara is River Song?

We see River's grave, in the tardis it's almost like River knows what she is about to do, we know he whispered River his name when they married.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That doesn't explain the whole dying several times thing...

ReputationRep:
    Liked the characters and the Doctor's argument with himself. I [think] I like how the Doctor fancies Clara. But the plot overall was a bit 'meh' and didn't really see the point of having the children there. Also, I don't know why the cybermen were supposed to be scarier: personally, I thought they had baby faces!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Clara is River Song?

I thought he just said "look into my eye."

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Born to save the doctor" - supports that theory floating around a few weeks ago that she was created by Rose to save the Doctor (the prequel seems to support that as well).

Although if we find out who Clara is next week, then that will be a bit tricky to explain.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.