Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys have I left revision too late?
    I'm doing GCSEs and my first exams in 12th May.

Please help me.

How did you all get A* and As in each subject, please share tips because For the past few weeks in really feeling depressed! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)

Please help me.

How did you all get A* and As in each subject, please share tips because For the past few weeks in really feeling depressed! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got three B's when i did my gcse's and i did not take them at all seriously, I know you are obviously not aiming for B's but if you can start now I wold say you are the odds on favorite to get mainly A's especially at Gcse level. I started in April and honestly I did max 1.30hrs a night of non effective notes not to mention i was not really a focused student. Try to finish off all of your notes but make sure that you DO PAST PAPERS! you will not get A's otherwise trust me from first hand exp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)

Please help me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey! Don't worry! For my GCSEs I wasn't doing proper revision at this point. I really cracked down at the beginning of my easter holidays, because I figured it wouldnt really go in while I was still having lessons etc.

I'm doing my AS's around the same time that you're starting your exams and I haven't really started either, but I'm feeling pretty confident!

I'm no expert with revision and things but I did pretty well in my GCSEs. My main tip would be make a clear revision timetable, with what subjects you're going to revise each day and which topics to cover. Then make sure you have a balance of doing past questions in timed conditions (they really helped me) and actually learning the information. Although definitely make sure you know the stuff before attempting the questions. You will be able to find tons of past papers on the exam boards websites, or just ask your teachers!

And I'd definitely make sure you have some down time after you revise because you don't want to overwhelm yourself. Its good to give yourself time after you've revised to let it all sink in.

Hope it all goes well for you and sorry about the long reply! Good luck and don't fret!

ReputationRep:
    everyday from 11-2

at night

ReputationRep:
    1 hour a day at the moment will be upping to 2 hours a day during Easter holiday or jugs before and then 3+ hours a day during study leave.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys
    I'm feeling a bit better now but I still can't help being nervous.
    It's so depressing when your watching TV or something and you get the feeling that your wrecking your future and you should be constantly revising.

The problem is it's really hard to begin revision and when I do start I feel even more worried that the revision I'm doing is not effective and I'm not really absorbing much.

Anyways it's good to see that I'm not the only one and I love how you all support each other

Thank you very much guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)
    Thanks guys
    It's so depressing when your watching TV or something and you get the feeling that your wrecking your future and you should be constantly revising.

The problem is it's really hard to begin revision and when I do start I feel even more worried that the revision I'm doing is not effective and I'm not really absorbing much.

Anyways it's good to see that I'm not the only one and I love how you all support each other

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem! I'm sure you'll do really well!

What I do is I revise and then watch TV after as a sort of reward for it, so I don't feel too guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Started revision today with biology, first 10 minutes were a bit chaotic to be honest... nothing really went in and I wasn't 100% focused, but after that things started to go in haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)
    Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had the exact same feeling if I wasn't revising. I started my revision around April and when I did have breaks I just got on with something that took my mind off what I was just revising.

As for starting, it is hard, but you will ease into it, trust me. Always think positively, don't doubt yourself with what you're doing.

Good luck in your exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)
    Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I started revising properly for GCSEs towards the end of March/beginning of April and started making notes from my science revision guides (they were so good). For maths I found GCSE really easy so I didn't do much but what I would particularly advice is to do lots and lots of practice questions, be that from a revision guide, online or past papers. For English (I didn't really like the subjects) but I wrote essays and went over my poems but essentially English is just about exam technique. History I did mind maps as opposed to notes as I found it was easier to condense with lots of arrows. Similarly with music I did mind maps and short notes on each set work etc. I found music one of the most difficult subjects to revise for GCSE!

I was quite silly and didn't realise how beneficial it was to do all the past papers possible during GCSEs and so only did a few. I would say that the most important things to do are:
    - try and stay motivated! Start by doing 30 minute slots and then gradually build up to 1 hour with 10 minute breaks.
    - make sure you get enough sleep!
    - exercise. no, seriously it helps.
    - allow yourself time off! Go out with friends, watch TV etc. but only after
    you've done some revision!

Don't worry too much about revising hardcore yet, I'd start in the Easter hols but build it up. Start doing around an hour a night from now
    I ended up with 10A* and 5As so feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help give advice!

Sorry for the long reply, hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    3hunna

ReputationRep:
    Every day since I have started September . I read the chapter before class. So I can ask sensible questions. Then practise questions after. I have a self imposed midterm review where I do a paper from each subject . Then up to the exam is past papers to work on technique

ReputationRep:
    I'm finishing my assessments & cwk's. Then I will start revising/learning each topic. Do a couple of questions on that specific topic then do exam style questions. I currently do 2 hours but when I start exam preparation; definitely 6/7 hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got mocks starting Monday, so have started some heavy revision for them. I will ease it down after the mocks, then increase over the weeks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    Hey,

How is revision going for A2? (especially Biology)
    Good Luck. All the best.

When are you planning to finish revising content and focus on exam practise?
    Jatz
    It's going good thanks, Biology is also pretty good (especially F214) :P

I plan to finish revising the content by the end of April or early May at the latest. That gives me a month and a bit to tackle past papers and revise content for bits I get wrong on the papers.

How is your revision going for A2?

Good luck to you also!

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing 3 subjects a day for around 45 minutes.

Once Easter holidays come I'll probably be doing around 1 hour per subject, I find it hard to concentrate after this amount of time as I find I just try and do something else too get out of revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeS1)
    Currently doing 3 subjects a day for around 45 minutes.

Once Easter holidays come I'll probably be doing around 1 hour per subject, I find it hard to concentrate after this amount of time as I find I just try and do something else too get out of revision.
    Change your style of revision if you lose concentration! I end up singing something or teaching my cat and it works!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)
    Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This was me when i did my AS's last year! I literally made myself ill if i didn't revise because i panicked so much! It paid off in the end but my teachers now keep an eye on me to make sure i actually have a life now and don't lock myself up 24 hours a day to revise! I'm revising for my A2's this year and i'm much calmer, i'm only doing about 2-3 hours a day now! I've realised now that if you do too much it will have the same effect as if you do too less! Don't stress yourself out, its not worth it! Take it from someone who knows!

ReputationRep:
    how many people still have crazy fantasies of getting A*s like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muf_mur)
    how many people still have crazy fantasies of getting A*s like me?
    Crazy fantasies? Pfft I'm obviously getting an A* in maths (I hope)!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.