Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohlittlewolf)
    Anyone else Cambridge-bound and would like to stay as sober as possible? I suppose Cambridge is probably one of the unis most likely to have a decent proportion of non-drinkers, but I'm still a little worried.
    Also going tee-total has been quite a recent life decision for me... it's going to sound awful but I'm not sure how I'm going to make friends / hang out with strangers in an effort to make friends with them without alcohol, how do you do it?! Any advice appreciated
    Me too! Just hoping there are more of us!

ReputationRep:
    Me too! Which college are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senz72)
    I'm doing Economics. Yourself?
    Environmental Geography at Derwent Which college are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zafrin)
    Hey I'm going to Surrey too and also staying in Manor Park, studying Politics and International Realtions and I'm not a drinker either

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool which block you in?? I'm in AF 44-51

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerShortcake)
    Environmental Geography at Derwent Which college are you?
    Derwent but Eden's court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    Cool which block you in?? I'm in AF 44-51
    I'm in RR 50-57

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at York?
    I am too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerShortcake)
    Yep, there are quite a few York people on here!
    That's good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zafrin)
    I'm in RR 50-57

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not too far from me then

ReputationRep:
    I'm in freshers week at the moment, I have quite enjoyed it, but there really is a big drinking culture in students. I thought it was just over-exaggeration but yeh pretty much everyone in my flat does pre drinking for 2+ hours, then go to the club to drink and party more.

I'll have like one cider or something, but I don't get drunk. I do join my flatmates but I don't really feel like its 'me', like I'm not being genuine as I am with my old friends. Also the main club events are absolutely packed- the first night was really hot and it was so cramped I couldn't move and left after about 10 mins, last night I didn't even get into the main venue despite queuing for ages, as they let in all the wristband students first.

I ended up going to a different club with random people in the queue, and strangely I actually enjoyed it more than with my flatmates. Though it was helped by the fact it was a lot less crowded as most were in the main venue. I'd quite like to go to an alternative event like the quizzes and film nights, but none of my flat seem to want to. I think tonight I'll just stay in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rivernile)
    I am too
    Oh nice! You moving in on Saturday or Sunday?

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster University student here - gonna study International Law!
    Moving in on Sunday.

Luckily, some new friends I've met (who don't drink too) have planned on staying in and having a Game of Thrones marathon so I should be entertained while the rest of the housemates are out drinking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    I'm in freshers week at the moment, I have quite enjoyed it, but there really is a big drinking culture in students. I thought it was just over-exaggeration but yeh pretty much everyone in my flat does pre drinking for 2+ hours, then go to the club to drink and party more.

I'll have like one cider or something, but I don't get drunk. I do join my flatmates but I don't really feel like its 'me', like I'm not being genuine as I am with my old friends. Also the main club events are absolutely packed- the first night was really hot and it was so cramped I couldn't move and left after about 10 mins, last night I didn't even get into the main venue despite queuing for ages, as they let in all the wristband students first.

I ended up going to a different club with random people in the queue, and strangely I actually enjoyed it more than with my flatmates. Though it was helped by the fact it was a lot less crowded as most were in the main venue. I'd quite like to go to an alternative event like the quizzes and film nights, but none of my flat seem to want to. I think tonight I'll just stay in.
    Go to the alternative events if you want to! You'll make friends and meet new people there That's what I've been doing so far

ReputationRep:
    Oh nice! You moving in on Saturday or Sunday?
    Saturday

ReputationRep:
    Saturday
    Nice!

Did you have to do a booking slot too?

ReputationRep:
    Nice!

Did you have to do a booking slot too?
    Are you arriving on Saturday too?

Yeah I did, though it was a bit pointless because I got an email from my college saying that you can arrive whenever you want

ReputationRep:
    Are you arriving on Saturday too?

Yeah I did, though it was a bit pointless because I got an email from my college saying that you can arrive whenever you want
    Oh, I didn't get an email like that.

I'm on Saturday too.

So so nervous.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at York?
    I'm going to York & I am pretty terrified! Staying in Langwith & studying economics. Can't seem to find much information about any events except for clubbing but I am trying to remain optimistic that they are out there somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by troyandabed)
    i'm going to york & i am pretty terrified! Staying in langwith & studying economics. Can't seem to find much information about any events except for clubbing but i am trying to remain optimistic that they are out there somewhere!
    I've found an economist!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyAndAbed)
    I'm going to York & I am pretty terrified! Staying in Langwith & studying economics. Can't seem to find much information about any events except for clubbing but I am trying to remain optimistic that they are out there somewhere!
    There's about 6 of us on here I think! This is good news .

I think all the colleges have got daytime activities and alternative evening events too. I'm in James and apparently the info for that is released tomorrow. There will be talks and tours and stuff so you might meet other people through that who don't want to go clubbing .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.