Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Nooo, 7 days. Can't be true. How time flies!

I was at the doctor's this morning with a perforated eardrum and it's a really miserable day. That, and I can't hear anything out of my right ear apart from an annoying ringing. I was up all night with pain, and I said to Dad in the waiting room, "what a horrid way to spend a Thursday morning". He then replied, "what, so worse than next Thursday? " My face was like :eek::eek::eek: "Sheesh, don't remind me!"

Good luck everyone. May the odds be in your favour!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JOR2010)
    You have unwittingly given away your name, Simon. Buying yourself a birthday cookie?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Simon... really?! And there was me thinking I'd given my name away (unwittingly) through my username. Doh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuya)
    Probably a stupid question, but is CCC the actual average? I've never seen anyone who genuinely couldn't do better than that...
    You've never seen someone achieve CCC or below? Do you go to private school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aptenodytes)
    Worst case scenario; you have to resit some modules and reapply OR you go to a uni you arent completely happy with.

It's not really that bad, is it? Compared to people who can't/don't go into further education or people who wouldnt even dream of ABB.

for example, I ate a grape this morning thinking it was seedless but it had seeds and i didnt like it. This got me thinking; why didnt I eat an orange instead? Even if the orange had seeds, at least I would have been more prepared. But then the orange could have been sour, and I inadvertently made the correct decision with the grape.
    Alright mate, calm down.
    I wasn't asking for your life story.

I don't give a **** about other people :') they hold no relevance here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky8761)
    I did PSYA4 this summer
    I did your mum this summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TauMuon)
    You really lepton that one

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    £10 says you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andaxay)
    Same here. Those little mistakes have a way of sneaking up on us D:

One week from today I'll know my results by now. Oh dear.
    one week from now and life could be different!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by kate_louise21)
    If on results day your firm says unsuccessful does this mean your not allowed to ring up the university ?
    You're *allowed* to it's just not really worth it unless you're
    a) have met your offer and the rejection is a mistake
    b) getting a priority remark
    c) are a glutton for punishment and want to have your day made even worse by hearing someone say "no we don't want you" in person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuya)
    Probably a stupid question, but is CCC the actual average? I've never seen anyone who genuinely couldn't do better than that...
    http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm
    It seems mostly to be B or C depending on the subject, so I'd guess the average is BBC or BCC. I imagine the median is probably AAA though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ColourDog)
    Does anyone know where you'd stand if you applied for a different course through clearing? (If you don't get grades for firm etc)?
    Is it allowed?
    It's not only allowed it's downright common!

If you do this then it's worth having a think about it now about which subjects might be worth looking into - you should at the very least have a bullet point style PS about why you are interested in the subject that you can refer while you're on the phone to clearing unis if need be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    If it says unsuccessful, they have made their decision - you are unlikely to convince them to give you a place.

I never really understood saying this. It's like saying that some people in Zimbabwe are as rich as some in the UK - yes it's true, but the general rules still apply; people in the UK are richer. There's a tendency on TSR to assume that all generalisation is automatically bad, which is simply untrue. Of course there are individual differences.
    I like you. Your posts make sense.

ReputationRep:
    jokes on you, my moms dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate113855)
    Alright mate, calm down.
    I wasn't asking for your life story.

I don't give a **** about other people :') they hold no relevance here.
    I'm sorry if you interpretted my post this way; I was just trying to be helpful/positive by saying that even if things go South, you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

i do have this other really good story about a boat, an ice cream and a rather clumsy waitress.

ReputationRep:
    i do have this other really good story about a boat, an ice cream and a rather clumsy waitress.
    I'd love to hear it in another life!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if you interpretted my post this way; I was just trying to be helpful/positive by saying that even if things go South, you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
    It's okay haha. I'm sorry.

I'm super ratty today because I've had no sleep due to bed/duvet hogs

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday, not a single individual from my school was messaging me about next Thursday.

Today, I've already had 5 messages asking me how I'm going to open my sodding envelope.

Trying to take my mind off of Results Day? An absolute exercise in futility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate113855)
    I feel like I've been way too confident; haven't even got a plan B for if I get less than ABB

I 100% am not going to my insurance >:C
    Where do you plan on going for uni may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedd)
    Where do you plan on going for uni may I ask?
    Fingers crossed I'm going to Keele my insurance is Lincoln but I haven't even visited it, or looked at the course in particular depth

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's not only allowed it's downright common!

If you do this then it's worth having a think about it now about which subjects might be worth looking into - you should at the very least have a bullet point style PS about why you are interested in the subject that you can refer while you're on the phone to clearing unis if need be.
    It's not that I want to change subject; I already have! my personal statement is for a subject I'm not doing, so if I do go not clearing then I was just hoping I would be able to still try or another Uni
    Thanks for the bullet point idea though: think will do that just in case!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.