Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by The Assassin)
    The game's at Stamford Bridge.
    Ah. :beard:

(Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I think you have to put in into the perspective that most people would have expected Spurs to win yesterday and us to lose today. It's all ifs and buts at this stage, but I'm confident that we can win our last 3 matches which will make it tough for the other teams. To be honest if we don't win all three we probably don't deserve top 4.
    Yes, and I was one of those people. :p: I suppose I'm tending towards the side of pessimism, but I do agree that it's still at the point where anything could happen.

ReputationRep:
    Such a shame that we lose those two crucial points to a ridiculously stupid mistake. That would give us so much room to breathe. However, I would've taken a draw at the start of the match which allows us to get 73 points at the end of the season (that will be enough for the top 4 and potentially top 3).

Chelsea won't beat Utd at Old Trafford imo and Chelsea will probably draw with Tottenham meaning top 3 isn't entirely out of our grasp.

ReputationRep:
    I think Chelsea and Arsenal will finish in the top four. I always feel Tottenham are inconsistent. More inconsistent than Chelsea and Arsenal.

I just wonder where Arsenal want to be as a football club. I'd be bitterly bitterly disappointed having won trophies regularly up until 2005, and then nothing since. No one really cares about having a sound financial model or a great stadium, it has to be backed up by silverware, as that is what football is all about - winning trophies. I just wonder where the club is going. They have it in them to consistently finish in the top 4/5, but is that what they want? I'd go for it this summer, spend 100 million. I'd rather see Arsenal up there than Chelsea or Manchester City.

Sagna is really poor, he needs to be gone. Ramsey has always been a disappointment for me, glad we didn't sign him, and Gervino and Podolski and Giroud leave a lot to be desired.

Cheers for RVP anyway, and best of luck with the rest of the season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Once again inferior tools. Wenger fielded strong team in both those games, the players failed him. Wenger revolutionised the way arsenal played, before he came we played dire football that's how the whole "one nil to the Arsenal" tag came along, we would only win by 1 or 2 goals. Our style of pay works best when the right tools are in place, we saw that in the past we went a whole season unbeaten there nothing wrong with Wenger's tactics its just players who are not good enough
    The season we went unbeaten we played totally different football than we do now. That team had players who were strong and could beat people. Also players who wouldn't take **** from anybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronHayward)
    you mean that old man who is retiring?
    The one that's about to win the CL? Yeah, I think we're on about the same person. He's only retiring because they want Pep in but they don't want to "kick him out".

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoyed that game tbh, had an edge to it like the classic Arsenal/Utd games from 10 years ago. Also not ashamed to say I enjoyed booing RVP, good to get that out of my system finally.

A draw is fine for us, but I wouldnt be saying that had Spurs not dropped 2 y'day. No excuses for not beating a relegated QPR team at Loftus or Wigan at home(although they'll be up for it, we will be too) but Newcastle will be tough for us away, although we cant really be too intimidated by a relegation threatened side that just got spanked 6-0 etc.

The first half performance was pretty much what Utd used to do to us and just hassle and press effectively. Never thought I'd see the day a Fergie side was physically bullied by a Wenger side and I enjoyed every minute of it It was clear we needed a 2nd at 1-0 up and had Cazorla slipped Walcott in like he should have we would been fine but apart from that we completely lacked final ball/cutting edge in the final third. Expected more from Cazorla here and Rosicky to a lesser extent who was playing further back. No clue why Wilshere was brought on at all, hes clearly not fit and especially with Tommy pulling the strings like a boss.

Szczesny 7
    Sagna 3
    Koscielny 8
    Mertesacker 8
    Gibbs 7
    Arteta 6
    Ramsey 8
    Rosicky 8
    Cazorla 6
    Walcott 7
    Podolski 5
    Gervinho 6
    Wilshere 6
    AOC 6

Sagna is finished for me, the standard of his all round play is shocking generally but the mistakes that are now part of his game are the final straw. Such a turnaround from the most dependable member of our team to the weak link. We're also crying out for a striker and a playmaking winger like Pires who can keep bring others into the game. The last 10 minutes with Gervinho/Walcott/AOC up top was pathetic, I was just praying for a set peice of some kind to win it for us. Also I think Ramsey is basically a better version of Arteta and that next season, if we dont sign a DM that it, we should go for Ramsey/Wilshere/Cazorla with a new player on the left in place of Arteta. Not that Arteta played particularly badly or anything, just that his role in the team seems less and less necessary by the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Szczesny 7
    Sagna 3
    Koscielny 8
    Mertesacker 8
    Gibbs 7
    Arteta 7
    Ramsey 8
    Rosicky 8
    Cazorla 6
    Walcott 7
    Podolski 5
    Gervinho 6
    Wilshere 6
    AOC 7

Sagna is finished for me, the standard of his all round play is shocking generally but the mistakes that are now part of his game are the final straw. Such a turnaround from the most dependable member of our team to the weak link.
    Firstly agree with you on both. Our defence again :coma: Kos and Rambo (work rate) deserve adulation, though, Rambo made 2 crucial mistakes for where, with better decision, we could have gone 2-0 up.

The thing is with the mistake that Sagna makes, it was in the making for a while now. He was gets himselves into a situation where he stops the balls and does like 10000 gazillion shimmies/ half turns, as if he was in some dance contest, before he nevitable either gets tackle and gives the ball away, or makes the wrong decision. It happens way too much every game. Forever appearing clueless. I knew something like this was bound to happen.

I've said befroe, although I'm not a fan of Jenko as most people are and still unsure about him, he should be starting ahead of Sagna. To me, he is either ambivalence about the club or he's lost it. I think its the former.

I hope this game bring to an end the 'Play-Podolski-Through-The-Middle' campaign. I've never understood how people think he will be good through the middle given his perennial disapperance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    Ramsey has always been a disappointment for me, glad we didn't sign him
    Maybe would have agreed with last year, but the last few months has been a huge improvement from Aaron and he's still just 22. It's no coincidence that our best part of the season has coincided with his better form.

I'd be bitterly bitterly disappointed having won trophies regularly up until 2005, and then nothing since. No one really cares about having a sound financial model or a great stadium, it has to be backed up by silverware, as that is what football is all about - winning trophies
    I cannot agree with this. Of course, football is about winning trophies, but the whole point of Arsenal building a new stadium was so that we can compete in the future, and in order to sustain even a modicum of competitiveness whilst building a stadium a sound financial model is needed, otherwise we'd be trying to pay off a stadium with no money to do it! I've said this many times but I'll say it again, if we hadn't built the Emirates we'd be in limbo. Similarly to now we wouldn't be able to compete for trophies due to a lack of money, but without the Emirates we would have no chance in the future either. At least the Emirates is an incredible source of income for the future, a huge improvement on Highbury in that sense. The Emirates project was a long term one at a short term cost, and I think that will ultimately be shown in the next few years. The failure to build a new stadium could really hold the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool back in the future. We've got it out of the way and it's going to start to pay off, especially when we can finally increase our commercial revenue (the current deals were front loaded in order to pay off the stadium debt, you could call it an achilles heel of ours for the past 10 years).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Firstly agree with you on both. Our defence again :coma: Kos and Rambo (work rate) deserve adulation, though, Rambo made 2 crucial mistakes for where, with better decision, we could have gone 2-0 up.

The thing is with the mistake that Sagna makes, it was in the making for a while now. He was gets himselves into a situation where he stops the balls and does like 10000 gazillion shimmies/ half turns, as if he was in some dance contest, before he nevitable either gets tackle and gives the ball away, or makes the wrong decision. It happens way too much every game. Forever appearing clueless. I knew something like this was bound to happen.

I've said befroe, although I'm not a fan of Jenko as most people are and still unsure about him, he should be starting ahead of Sagna. To me, he is either ambivalence about the club or he's lost it. I think its the former.

I hope this game bring to an end the 'Play-Podolski-Through-The-Middle' campaign. I've never understood how people think he will be good through the middle given his perennial disapperance.
    Koscielny was so up for this game. Noticed that he was furious and had some off the ball words with RVP after his lunge on Mertesacker that RVP seemed unhappy about. Dont think he likes RVP very much(remember seeing a video just before RVP left where he was showing them a trick where Kosc was basically just eyeballing RVP and refusing to participate)

Mertesacker made a crazy number of interceptions and Kosc won all his 1v1s all day. Both were very very clued up on aerial threats.

The game showed Ramsey at his best mainly. Will admit that I sometimes go overboard on Ramsey sometimes but he is genuinely the hardest working Arsenal player in years. Similar to Norwich/Everton/Fulham, he was all over the opposition. But offensively I thought he once again slowed the game down and didnt really threaten to do anything threatening once he got forward. But I guess that was Cazorla/Rosicky's responsibility more than his. overall he was very good.

Agree on Sagna that he's just sloppy these days. He was once our most dependable and focused player but now he just slows the play up offensively, or just hoofs the ball , and is liable to do stupid **** at the back. I'm a huge fan of Jenkinson but he's extremely raw. Ideally we'd get 7m-ish for Sagna and reinvest in a new RB.

Podolski struggled today but I like him as a player. He's scored some important goals, has very good assists considering his limited playing time. For me, he's neither a striker or a winger but an old fashioned inside forward. Handy player to have.

ReputationRep:
    United deserved to win that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Koscielny was so up for this game. Noticed that he had some off the ball words with RVP after his lunge on Mertesacker that RVP seemed unhappy about. Dont think he likes RVP very much(remember seeing a video just before RVP left where he was showing them a trick where Kosc was basically just eyeballing RVP and refusing to participate)

Mertesacker made a crazy number of interceptions and Kosc won all his 1v1s all day. Both were very very clued up on aerial threats.

The game showed Ramsey at his best mainly. Will admit that I sometimes go overboard on Ramsey sometimes but he is genuinely the hardest working Arsenal player in years. Similar to Norwich/Everton/Fulham, he was all over the opposition. But offensively I thought he once again slowed the game down and didnt really threaten to do anything. But overall he was very good.

Agree on Sagna that he's just sloppy these days. He was once our most dependable and focused player but now he just slows the play up offensively, or just hoofs the ball , and is liable to do stupid **** at the back. I'm a huge fan of Jenkinson but he's extremely raw. Ideally we'd get 7m-ish for Sagna and reinvest in a new RB.
    Yep really agree with you (especially about being too harsh on Ramsey). I think he was really good today, obviously incredibly hard-working but also going forward he was trying to drive our team forward where he could. I was a bit frustrated with some of his loose passes, and on the break he should have passed to Walcott instead of Podolski, but all in all I think he should be taking over from Arteta, he just seems to offer more.

Sagna was really poor today, could have easily gotten himself sent off as well, leaving us screwed, Jenkinson has been consistently performing better than him and I think he should be starting games, Sagna just looks like he's had enough.

Another thing is that I absolutely love Rosicky, his drive and directness is so crucial for us, especially when we get bogged down around the edge of the opponents six yard box. His assist was really good too, a quick turn and splitting through ball, even though Theo was offside. He's probably my favourite player in our team right now, it's a shame he doesn't play more imo.

ReputationRep:
    happy with a point in the end they had about 5 clear cut opportunities to score, nice start but it feathered away in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    The one that's about to win the CL? Yeah, I think we're on about the same person. He's only retiring because they want Pep in but they don't want to "kick him out".
    i think you're failing to see the difference between the words resigning and RETIRING. Retiring means he's leaving football management.

ReputationRep:
    Thought on Podolski as CF today, I thought he was very mobile today, he movement was good and link up play decent. He's a bit rusty with his positioning and instincts but all in all he put in a decent shift although he was beaten to most headers. I would like to see him start upfront next game he's bound to get more comfortable in the position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zubby77)
    Yep really agree with you (especially about being too harsh on Ramsey). I think he was really good today, obviously incredibly hard-working but also going forward he was trying to drive our team forward where he could. I was a bit frustrated with some of his loose passes, and on the break he should have passed to Walcott instead of Podolski, but all in all I think he should be taking over from Arteta, he just seems to offer more.

Sagna was really poor today, could have easily gotten himself sent off as well, leaving us screwed, Jenkinson has been consistently performing better than him and I think he should be starting games, Sagna just looks like he's had enough.

Another thing is that I absolutely love Rosicky, his drive and directness is so crucial for us, especially when we get bogged down around the edge of the opponents six yard box. His assist was really good too, a quick turn and splitting through ball, even though Theo was offside. He's probably my favourite player in our team right now, it's a shame he doesn't play more imo.
    Ramsey is just a more effective version of Arteta personally and I dont think they should play together. Would be interested to read Arteta's job description....

I think pretty much everyone knows that Rosicky is a wonderful player on his day. Always seems to manage to turn out of trouble and takes reponsbility to make things happen up front.

Thought on Podolski as CF today, I thought he was very mobile today, he movement was good and link up play decent. He's a bit rusty with his positioning and instincts but all in all he put in a decent shift although he was beaten to most headers. I would like to see him start upfront next game he's bound to get more comfortable in the position
    He struggled all the way throughout. Rio/Evans played a blinder to be honest, but I still think he could have had more of an impact. Still a big fan of his though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronHayward)
    i think you're failing to see the difference between the words resigning and RETIRING. Retiring means he's leaving football management.
    It's pretty much a forced retirement though, I remember reading about how he's incredibly reluctant to be leaving this team he's got, and was obviously really frustrated about how Bayern have gone and got Pep Guardiola.

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...rely-voluntary

However, I don't agree that Wenger should leave or be sacked or whatever's being suggested. I think since his contract is up in 2014 this is his last crack at it, he's got money to spend, and positions that clearly need to be strengthened. If at the end of next season we are still in this position of not even challenging for anything I think he'll leave.

ReputationRep:
    IMO he was poor today - our worst player bar sagna

It's pretty obvious he is not suited to the lone striker role

I don't think he should be put up front and I would use Walcott up front from now or change our formation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not happy today instead of our usual lack of fight we displayed a distinct lack of quality man utd never got up to speed but were still doing us while cruising in 3rd gear and had the lions share of the chances

ReputationRep:
    Boy you guys missed Giroud today, told you Podolski can't play upfront on his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Not happy today instead of our usual lack of fight we displayed a distinct lack of quality man utd never got up to speed but were still doing us while cruising in 3rd gear and had the lions share of the chances
    pretty much sums it up. But in fairness Rio/Evans/Rafeal played out of their skin and with Podolski finding his feet up front, we were always going to struggle to score.

Fact of the matter is that we have some average players in key positions at the minute and have done all season.

(Original post by Basiji)
    Boy you guys missed Giroud today, told you Podolski can't play upfront on his own.
    he definitely can and scored 20 odd Bundesloga goals there for Koln last season. Very hard for him just to slot in and start filling his boots against United, especially when he's barely played for 3 months.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.