Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Pity most of the other results didn't go our way!!

So so so happy we won though
    Could have been better but could have been worse. At least Villa lost!
    Actually glad Millwall won though, cos my housemate is a Nottingham Forest fan

Millwall was fun, me and me dad got on Midlands Today and Central News for a few seconds. Atmosphere was good, it was intimidating, but fun. Not many barneys off the pitch tho :lolwut:

(Original post by Midlander)
    Who cares about being found guilty of fraud, we'll just let anyone own a football club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A minor charge for not paying tax really. As long as he has the money to keep the club going and improving I don't think too many people care about his past. Most Leeds fans are happy at this new development. The alternative is administration, almost certain relegation, and potential liquidation afterwards.

Plus, The Football League have had no problems accepting obviously corrupt and unreliable owners in the past, so why wouldn't they let the man who's owned a top flight football club for years take over? That's a far greater example of reliability than practically anything else.

Edit: And since he's owned Cagliari since 1992 without them going down the tubes I welcome the stability. He's Leeds United's best chance of returning to the Premier League.

I would also say Cellino was going to take over regardless of the decision of his appeal. He was in talks with a rival consortium, who were open to accepting him. They would have taken over the club and he would have run it and bankrolled it from the shadows. The consortium would have been a middle man so it's sort of irrelevant.

It's like when Ken Bates took over and was disqualified. A mysterious trust bought the club, which we never found out the identity of. Later on Ken Bates was not disqualified and this trust discounted all over bids in favour of his. It was strange how this trust was in the exact place where Ken Bates bases himself. A lot of Leeds fans suspect it was Ken Bates controlled all along.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Is a spell in administration not better in the long term than another dodgy moneyman selling them down the river?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, it's absolutely not. It's just another step back about five years. They go into administration and they're relegated next year. They'll start with minus 15 points and their best players will leave because of money issues. At the rate they're leaking money they won't be able to bring anyone in and administration won't solve the problem.

Plus, Cellino isn't just a dodgy money man. He's owned an Italian A football club for years without any problems. that makes him far more reliable than any first time owner coming in and taking over.

He's incredibly rich so the risk is well worth it. Plus, he actually has a passion for football, which is shown by the fact he's remained in it for so long alongside his normal business.

ReputationRep:
    I said Brentford and I'm going to stick by it, but Rotherham have a amazing way of getting the result they need right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    ^ This. If someone who wanted to buy Brentford failed the fit and proper person test I wouldn't want them anywhere near my club regardless of how much money they had to offer us.

Brentford won again today, and hopefully we've turned around our rough patch. Our last 6 fixtures aren't by any means easy though, we're playing Preston, two teams chasing the play offs and two teams fighting relegation. We really really should go up. Urrgh football. Still, could be Coventry
    Must be a hard life!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    A minor charge for not paying tax really. As long as he has the money to keep the club going and improving I don't think too many people care about his past. Most Leeds fans are happy at this new development. The alternative is administration, almost certain relegation, and potential liquidation afterwards.

Plus, The Football League have had no problems accepting obviously corrupt and unreliable owners in the past, so why wouldn't they let the man who's owned a top flight football club for years take over? That's a far greater example of reliability than practically anything else.

Edit: And since he's owned Cagliari since 1992 without them going down the tubes I welcome the stability. He's Leeds United's best chance of returning to the Premier League.

I would also say Cellino was going to take over regardless of the decision of his appeal. He was in talks with a rival consortium, who were open to accepting him. They would have taken over the club and he would have run it and bankrolled it from the shadows. The consortium would have been a middle man so it's sort of irrelevant.

It's like when Ken Bates took over and was disqualified. A mysterious trust bought the club, which we never found out the identity of. Later on Ken Bates was not disqualified and this trust discounted all over bids in favour of his. It was strange how this trust was in the exact place where Ken Bates bases himself. A lot of Leeds fans suspect it was Ken Bates controlled all along.
    Posts like yours show what is wrong with the way football is run in this country. Who cares what someone's background is, it's all about the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posts like yours show what is wrong with the way football is run in this country. Who cares what someone's background is, it's all about the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's been all about the money for decades. Football clubs are still businesses. If you don't understand that you're living in a different era. Whether we like it or not that's the way of the world.

I'd love it if the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City couldn't just buy leagues through foreign owners, but they can. The only way to get to the top is to spend spend spend and spend some more.

Unless you're some sort of moral martyr you'd rather watch a cashed up Chelsea playing the likes of Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Barcelona, and Liverpool over watching a dejected club playing Doncaster, Yeovil, and Barnsley. And that's why I'm delighted at the decision to allow Cellino in.

ReputationRep:
    It's been all about the money for decades. Football clubs are still businesses. If you don't understand that you're living in a different era. Whether we like it or not that's the way of the world.

I'd love it if the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City couldn't just buy leagues through foreign owners, but they can. The only way to get to the top is to spend spend spend and spend some more.

Unless you're some sort of moral martyr you'd rather watch a cashed up Chelsea playing the likes of Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Barcelona, and Liverpool over watching a dejected club playing Doncaster, Yeovil, and Barnsley. And that's why I'm delighted at the decision to allow Cellino in.
    I understand it perfectly, I just don't like it-at all. We were quite happy letting SISU rescue us from administration and 7 years on we are in Northampton in the third division before crowds of 1500.

English football is run in such a short termist way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Follow your dreams is the moral from todays game. Because if Stuart Attwell can make a career out of refereeing, your average Joe can become an astronaut.

All in all, if Burnley play in the PL like they did today, their PL spell will be short. They were woeful and didn't deserve the point at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I'm here, well done to Leicester on officially being promoted. An amazing way to come back from last year by hammering the entire league. A truly deserved promotion, enjoy the Premier League, don't leave this thread for too long though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand it perfectly, I just don't like it-at all. We were quite happy letting SISU rescue us from administration and 7 years on we are in Northampton in the third division before crowds of 1500.

English football is run in such a short termist way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's always that risk, yes. What Leeds have going for it is it's still a well-known club throughout the world. It does have fan bases in other countries, and it can often leverage its history despite the fact it's absolutely nothing in the present.

I think in the case of Leeds, though, we've already experienced administration, multiple relegations, and come close to liquidation. Many Leeds fans would rather go in all or nothing and risk liquidation than gently sink down to the nothing divisions. The difference is going with Cellino gives us a chance to avoid that fate, whereas sticking with what we have now almost ensures a gentle fall down the divisions.

In the case of Leeds, the infrastructure is too big. They're losing £1 million a month now and attendances are going down. Fans stuck with them before in League One, but they won't this time. With what they have in place any further decrease in revenues would mean the club never turns a profit.

ReputationRep:
    There's always that risk, yes. What Leeds have going for it is it's still a well-known club throughout the world. It does have fan bases in other countries, and it can often leverage its history despite the fact it's absolutely nothing in the present.

I think in the case of Leeds, though, we've already experienced administration, multiple relegations, and come close to liquidation. Many Leeds fans would rather go in all or nothing and risk liquidation than gently sink down to the nothing divisions. The difference is going with Cellino gives us a chance to avoid that fate, whereas sticking with what we have now almost ensures a gentle fall down the divisions.

In the case of Leeds, the infrastructure is too big. They're losing £1 million a month now and attendances are going down. Fans stuck with them before in League One, but they won't this time. With what they have in place any further decrease in revenues would mean the club never turns a profit.
    I would never want to risk my club ceasing to exist, that's the thing. I hope for the fans' sakes that this guy doesn't take Leeds into oblivion, but it's such a desperate state of affairs that he is seen as the only saviour of the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigWM)
    Follow your dreams is the moral from todays game. Because if Stuart Attwell can make a career out of refereeing, your average Joe can become an astronaut.

All in all, if Burnley play in the PL like they did today, their PL spell will be short. They were woeful and didn't deserve the point at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think everyone is surprised to see Burnley up there considering how small their squad is. If they go up (which is looking annoying likely) then they'll struggle big time. Guaranteed. The only reason they've done well is that they've been ridiculously lucky with injuries (or lack of them!) and they have a very good manager. As a Rovers fan I'd rather get beat by them home and away than see them go up but I'll take great pleasure seeing them get taken apart next year, should they go up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brocklehurst95)
    I think everyone is surprised to see Burnley up there considering how small their squad is. If they go up (which is looking annoying likely) then they'll struggle big time. Guaranteed. The only reason they've done well is that they've been ridiculously lucky with injuries (or lack of them!) and they have a very good manager. As a Rovers fan I'd rather get beat by them home and away than see them go up but I'll take great pleasure seeing them get taken apart next year, should they go up.
    Dyche, for me, is one of the top 3 managers in the league. At Watford, he learnt the trade before managing, which is how it should be done, rather than a few ex players just straight away becoming managers. Dyche learnt from Brendan Rodgers, one of the best managers around at the moment, and Malky Mackay, a Premiership standard manager. He will do well.

He did wonders at Watford. Anyone who can finish 11th with a strike force of Chris Iwelumo and Joe Garner deserves a knighthood.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Whilst I'm here, well done to Leicester on officially being promoted. An amazing way to come back from last year by hammering the entire league. A truly deserved promotion, enjoy the Premier League, don't leave this thread for too long though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks.

Personally I hope our promotion just sets something in owners minds - the success Pearson has had after the fairly intense speculation about him being fired should serve to show that owners shouldn't jump the gun if a good manager (No denying Pearson has been a good manager for us in both spells) goes through a bit of a rough patch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Thanks.

Personally I hope our promotion just sets something in owners minds - the success Pearson has had after the fairly intense speculation about him being fired should serve to show that owners shouldn't jump the gun if a good manager (No denying Pearson has been a good manager for us in both spells) goes through a bit of a rough patch.
    Will be interesting to see how the promoted managers end up next year. Would be stupid of your owners to sack Pearson if things go pearshaped after backing him for so long, so he should last the season, as will Dyche. Could finally see a change in the attitude of promoted clubs and their respective owners, rather than just sacking managers at the first opportunity in the hope of PL survival, doesn't really tend to work.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Please go easy on us tonight, we're without one of our best players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrows)
    Please go easy on us tonight, we're without one of our best players.
    If you're one down with 10 minutes to go, you're guaranteed a draw against us. If the Championship only played 80 minutes of football we'd be in the playoffs. Does Dominic Poleon still play for you? Our atmosphere only gets good when someone can be booed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're one down with 10 minutes to go, you're guaranteed a draw against us. If the Championship only played 80 minutes of football we'd be in the playoffs. Does Dominic Poleon still play for you? Our atmosphere only gets good when someone can be booed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Poleon does play for us, but rarely makes an appearance. I think he had 30 minutes against Charlton last Tuesday. We've gone behind in 24/40 championship games this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrows)
    Poleon does play for us, but rarely makes an appearance. I think he had 30 minutes against Charlton last Tuesday. We've gone behind in 24/40 championship games this season.
    Oh, you're set to get a draw then. We'll go ahead then let you score in the 89th minute. We're 3rd in the first half table, that's all I can take from this season. Who's missing for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.