Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0723206004)
    i love american football....hope that england can beat america in one day at international series..he he...lol
    You'll be waiting a while...

(Original post by AaronPeterHurst)
    Oh awesome, an NFL thread

Really hoping we (the Giants) have a better season this year. The only thing to really be positive about last season was the emergence of ODB.

Really looking forward to the start of the season in general, really
    Welcome! The Giants are close, I think. Other than OBJ, they had Eli Manning return to his old self. Andre Williams looked sharp. A few pieces on either side of the ball, plus a healthy Victor Cruz and Odell Beckham Jr. would really help that offense out. Some additions in the trenches are needed but there's a good workable nucleus. On defense, the biggest test for NYG is to upgrade at safety, and finally address ILB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    I've put you on thr fan board. I just want the draft to happen now! It's the beginning of the new season as far as I'm concerned
    Thanks man, glad to be here.

Eh, I've struggled to get into the Draft to be honest. Watched it the last couple years (only been following the NFL for 3 seasons) but I just feel like not knowing most of the players that are coming up from college football and not really following college football in general have been detriments.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't honestly think Cleveland should move up in round 1, just that if their slight lowball offer got accepted it wouldn't be bad. They can do a lot, since 19 might be a great spot to get Gurley after getting bpa at 12, and get a QB to compete later. I think they're in a good spot to go the chiefs /cards route of putting together a nasty team that attracts a free agent QB.

ReputationRep:
    They just need to trade all of that with the Jags at #3 instead and I will be dancing! Why trade with Tennessee when you only need to get above Washington at 5 and NYJ at 8, Oakland need a blue chip WR called Amari Cooper at 4. The Jags would be happy taking the best LB/DE left at 12, trade out of 19 for a 1st and something else next year, picking up Jay Ajayi, a top quality cover corner or one of the top 2 safeties if they're on the board in the 2nd.
    I like Jay Ajayi to such an extent as an NFL running back, I'd have no issues at all taking him in the first round. It's not hype. He'll be the best running back out of this class when all is said and done.

Yes. It's not hype. He really will be the best running back out of this class when all is said and done.

Well put together, at 6ft, 225lbs. Can catch the ball, is good between the tackles, even better outside of the tackles, amazing foot quickness, strong, even for his size. And well, he was born in London too. Even his fumbling issues aren't as bad as they were.

Here's a Jags mock for you:

1. #3: Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson*: The more I think about this, the easier it is.

It would be nice if Dante Fowler Jr. stays 'in state' and all, and he's probably a better scheme fit. He's a great athlete in his own right but, well, let's not pretend ourselves. He has arms that are one inch longer, and he weighs 10lbs heavier. That's it. Vic Beasley SMOKES him at everything else. Dante Fowler Jr. played as a hybrid linebacker, and is a jack-of-all trades, but frankly, master of none.

But Vic Beasley, would be used like the Seahawks use Bruce Irvin, and the Broncos used to use, Von Miller. Gus Bradley has been dying for a difference maker like Bruce Irvin, and he gets him in Vic Beasley. He's very, very polished. Not got the explosive first step of Shane Ray, but it's very good. He played very strong for his size, even when he was 235 in college. Now he's 250lbs, well, it's a slam dunk.

Oh, and did I mention that Beasley isn't just a one trick pony in that he's could drop fairly well into coverage? If need be, the Jags could move Beasley inside similar to what Green Bay did with Clay Matthews, down the line, or in emergencies.

Comparison of Von Miller/Bruce Irvin/Vic Beasley/Demarcus Ware
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Von Miller/Bruce Irvin/Vic Beasley/Demarcus Ware. Combine numbers used, since there's pro day discrepancies.
    Height: 6025/6030/6030/6040
    Weight: 246/245/246/251
    Arm Length: 33.5/33.375/32.5/34
    Hand Size: 9.25/9.625/9.375/10
    40 yard dash: 4.53/4.50/4.53/4.65
    20 yard dash: 2.64/2.66/2.65/2.75
    10 yard dash: 1.62/1.58/1.59/1.70
    Speed Score 116.8/119.5/116.8/107.4
    20 short shuttle: 4.06/4.03/4.15/4.07
    3 cone drill: 6.70/6.70/6.91/6.83
    Lateral Agility: 0.47/0.47/0.38/0.58
    Change of Direction: 10.76/10.73/11.06/10.90
    Bench Press: 21/23/35/28
    Work Done: 182/199/295/247
    Vertical Jump: 37/33.5/41/38.5
    Broad Jump: 10.5/10.25/10.833/10.166
    Explosion Number: 68.50/66.75/86.83/76.66

Spoiler:
    Show
    Speed score: Defined as the (Weight*200)/(40 time^4). 100 is excellent. 110 is elite. 120 is off the charts.

Explosion Number: Defined as the bench repetitions + vertical in inches + broad jump in feet (decimal number).

Laterial Agility is defined as the difference between the 40 time and the 20ss. 0.50 is the target, but when they get to running very fast 40 yard times, there's less room to get a bigger score. Linemen should be getting 0.40-0.60, but for the speed linebackers, 0.30 is elite.

Change of Direction: 20ss + 3cone times; under 12.50 is the target for DE. Under 12 for OLB. 11 is amazing.

Work Done, in kJ, takes into account the arm length. = Arm Length in inches *2.54*Bench Press reps*102.058/1000. (for metrification...)

*Assuming the Titans absolutely do not pass on the best defensive prospect in this draft, and potentially since JJ Watt. If they do, the Jags should pick up Leonard Williams, and plug him in at DT.

2. #36: Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State: 'Nuff Said.

If the Jags were to trade down into the middle of the second, say, they could easily used the acrued picks to pick up the best running back available, and then a linebacker in the middle rounds.

3. #67: Ali Marpet, G, Hobart:
    Would be a good guard, based on his athleticism and Senior Bowl, for the ZBS scheme the Jaguars run. I'd have no problems with my Broncos taking him in the end of the second or in the middle of the third, while the Falcons will be lurking too. Early third round feels right, considering the fact he is from a DIII school. Those metrics I used for the pass rushers? Ali Marpet knocks it out of the park. I didn't used to see the hype, but wow...zone block scheme, good sized arms for a guard (32"+ are good) and well, he'll be a star.

Spoiler:
    Show

Height: 6037/
    Weight: 307/
    Arm Length: 33.375/
    Hand Size: 10/
    40 yard dash: 4.98/
    20 yard dash: 2.87/
    10 yard dash: 1.71/
    Speed Score 99.8/
    20 short shuttle: 4.47/
    3 cone drill: 7.33/
    Lateral Agility: 0.51/
    Change of Direction: 11.80/
    Bench Press: 30/
    Work Done: 260/
    Vertical Jump: 30.5/
    Broad Jump: 9/
    Explosion Number: 69.5/

4. #103: Craig Mager, CB/FS/KR/PR. Texas State,
    An excellent defensive back with good instincts, good length. Ran a 4.44 40, with good lateral agility, showing fluid hips. Well put together, at just over 200lbs. Made the Sun Belt all-conference team, so he's not a mug.

He's in the range where Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Alex Carter, Doran Grant are in play. If Carter is available, the Jags should go for him, but Mager's a good defensive back in his own right.

5. #139: Durell Eskridge, FS, Syracuse.
    I don't think the Jags have a terrible secondary, but it lacks depth. Craig Mager addressed CB depth, and now Eskridge addresses the Jags problems at safety.

They say that the safety class isn't a good one. They're wrong. There's not a lot of elite, difference making safeties in the first, but deeper, there are some solid safeties out there. Eskridge is projected to go anywhere between the 4th and 6th rounds. He's 6ft 3, 210lbs, runs a 4.60s flat so pretty standard safety numbers.

6. #180: Zach Vigil, ILB/OLB, Utah State
    Vigil was the Mountain West conference's defensive player of the year. Leader of a very stout Aggies defense. He's currently projected to go between the 6th round, and undrafted, although his stock is on the rise after an impressive pro-day. Great measurables, and should be able to contribute on special teams, and as solid depth, accross all of the linebacker positions. He's better in coverage, although average against the run. Although 4.68s 40 yard dash is pushing it, it's solid for a backup/occasional starter.

The man he replaced at Utah State? Bobby Wagner.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/4/...-lb-zach-vigil

In the latter rounds, prospects need to have the traits to be difference makers. Shaq Riddick has all the traits, he just needs a team to be patient, especially as he fills out his frame. With Chris Clemons, and good pass rush talent on the roster, well, he should have time to develop.

7. #220: CJ Uzomah, TE, Auburn
    Even with Julius Thomas and Marcedes Lewis, the Jags do still need help at TE. CJ Uzomah deserves a look late. A classic TE, who is comfortable with his hand on the ground or operating as a move blocker, would really help out the running game, and give the Jags the options to be effective in two or even three TE sets. He's a bigger TE at 6ft5, 265lbs, and was under-utilized in the passing game at Auburn.

UDFA1: Ryan Russell, DE, Purdue
    Size? At 6ft 4, 269lbs...Check. Flashed good speed at his pro day, although he was slow at the combine. He has a good first step, but needs to develop his pass rush arsenal. He's very solid against the run, however, and would warrent consideration as a UDFA.

UDFA2: DeAndrew White, WR, Alabama
    DeAndrew White has lost a step since his injury in college, but he's still has excellent time speed. He's probably a corner who would operate from the slot and use his route-running to get open. He's nicely put together at 6ft, 200lbs. He would have been a 3-4th round pick, but for the injuries, so this represents good value. He's a willing blocker if nothing else, especially with the type of offense Alabama run.

UDFA3: Nick Seither, DE,
    Another 'bigger' DE who would be worth bringing in to see. Apparently, he played at NAIA level. I have no idea what that is...but it seems like the schools aren't affiliated in the NCAA (DI-A, DI-AA, D-II, D-III etc system). But measureables?

Sweet potato pie...I'll shut my mouth.
    "The 6-foot-3 defensive end ran a 4.53 in the 40 with 31 repetitions of benching 225 pounds. His vertical jump was 39 with a broad jump of 10.01."

4.53. 4.53. Four-Fifty Three. 39" verticle. 10ft 1 inch broad. And all without a speed and conditioning program of one of the more elite universities.

Even if it doesn't work out, that's potential that cannot be taught.

http://www.georgetowncollege.edu/new...its-nfl-draft/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    x
    PRSOM This is awesome I wish I could rep it 10 times, I'll be watching out for your guys here through the draft. Structurally, I like your draft, you've filled the needs and picked up the right depth positions. I literally don't know anything about the players past round 2 projections. I need to get into College Football! Next season I'm sure I will although I tell myself that almost every season. Thanks for this jammy. I really appreciate it, today is not going to plan so I'm all in on the draft! The draft and tax law revision is the order of the day.

Twittersphere saying Jags want Cooper. You know what that means, no chance of the Jags drafting Cooper. Dave Caldwell would never let that come out, the man could poker face Negreanu if it came to it.

The Top 10 Draft Day Moments programme is hilarious. At #6... The Raider Unknown, picking their random dudes because they're big and run fast. #2 Jets fans booing. Lots of 'The jets fans don't know anything' from the commentators 'They could announce Joe Namath again and the Jets fans would still boo.'

Watch out for Dante Fowler's shoes. They are horrendous! I do not want a guy who buys those shoes on the Jags team. Give me Williams or Beasley please! With everything pointing to Tennesee taking Mariota at #2 or trading #2 to a team wanting Mariota.

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM This is awesome I wish I could rep it 10 times, I'll be watching out for your guys here through the draft. Structurally, I like your draft, you've filled the needs and picked up the right depth positions. I literally don't know anything about the players past round 2 projections. I need to get into College Football! Next season I'm sure I will although I tell myself that almost every season. Thanks for this jammy. I really appreciate it, today is not going to plan so I'm all in on the draft! The draft and tax law revision is the order of the day.

Twittersphere saying Jags want Cooper. You know what that means, no chance of the Jags drafting Cooper. Dave Caldwell would never let that come out, the man could poker face Negreanu if it came to it.

The Top 10 Draft Day Moments programme is hilarious. At #6... The Raider Unknown, picking their random dudes because they're big and run fast. #2 Jets fans booing. Lots of 'The jets fans don't know anything' from the commentators 'They could announce Joe Namath again and the Jets fans would still boo.'

Watch out for Dante Fowler's shoes. They are horrendous! I do not want a guy who buys those shoes on the Jags team. Give me Williams or Beasley please! With everything pointing to Tennesee taking Mariota at #2 or trading #2 to a team wanting Mariota.
    Vic Beasley is the only defensive player I would probably take ahead of Leonard Williams.

Here's some highlight videos. I use NFLDraftScout to find some of the players, and then turn to youtube to see what they can do. I look at the pro-day articles and try and find that one player who goes missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQ4Xy-sVvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siPei_ky9kU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TigYhuttNVc

Ali Marpet was excellent at the Senior Bowl. I believe #94 is Bud Dupree. His college highlights are meaningless, given the level on the competition, but he passes the eye test and then some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mPNkZ5A90

Mager is a bit feast or famine, but you can't teach speed. I don't know whethere what he's doing is scheme, since he's a good blitzer. He looked solid against the run, when he able to get off his blocks, so that's something for his to improve. His coverage was good but he needs to finish the play. Still, worth taking on in the fourth round. I'd like to see a bit more down and distance awareness though..Once you get into the fourth round, teams have to take chances on athletic prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ff7-CluL5I
    He had a mixed game against Notre Dame, but he flashed certain traits which would make him a solid safety in the NFL. Again, it's about finishing each play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClFlhinakU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvE7Lsac7s4

Wow. Zac Vigil was good in 2013, but he continued to develop in 2014. Against Air Force, one of the better MWC teams, he destroyed them. I wish I could find his full highlights. 20+ tackles is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FY_4KoFXg

I couldn't find much for CJ Uzomah, but there was some from his Senior Bowl. He completely blocked out Bud Dupree, so he has some good potential as a blocker.

Personally, I think it's much easier to find highlights for the players expected to be undrafted, since they'll try and convince teams that they deserve a shot late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOyozVFWSQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vQdvn92g0

DeAndrew White was absolutely ridiculous. And remember, he's predicted to be undrafted.

I couldn't find any highlights for Nick Seither, but that's because he played at the NAIA level. Potential, potential, potential with that kid.

ReputationRep:
    I'm here for the 2nd year running going please tell me Dave knows more than jammy does about player evaluation! Having heard Dante talk, he talks like a guy who fits with Jacksonville he just makes questionable suit and shoe choices. I hope he turns into Ryan Kerrigan 2. That would be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Leonard Williams still around hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Have no idea what the Rams are going to do now. Top 2 WRs and Scherff all gone.

Parker or Waynes would be good but, more than likely, I think we'll trade down.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe edge rushers just can't dress themselves in general?! Fowler and Beasley have both come up with shockers.

ReputationRep:
    Wow... Todd Gurley.

Looks like we're following the Seattle blueprint - play good defense and run the ball. Really not sure how I feel about the pick though.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT THE HELL?!

Leonard Williams fell to the Jets...oh god... How stupid.

May God rest the soul of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders (he wanted to play for them, and would have addressed the biggest need.). Even the Redskins for crying out loud passed on him. They're good players, but no-one in this draft is better...

ReputationRep:
    Leonard Williams said he hopes his first sack is Tom Brady.

We play them week 7. Aim higher kid :lol:

Made me chuckle off twitter.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. Cleveland have had 22 different starting QBs since 1999. Most in the NFL. #FactoryOfSadness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Leonard Williams said he hopes his first sack is Tom Brady.

We play them week 7. Aim higher kid :lol:

Made me chuckle off twitter.
    He might just be too nice to play NFL defence? He's so softly spoken. Defensive stars play angry in the NFL (I have seen nothing of his tape). I'm trying to think of a defensive star who isn't at least slightly mental. I can't. Joe Haden maybe? I didn't see him in his prime though?

ReputationRep:
    The Broncos traded up? Oh god...way to kill the depth at the front of the draft. The Broncos have picks, but it's all at the end of the draft.

It has to be for a tackle...especially since the Browns took Cameron Erving.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, for Manny Ramirez, Shane Ray? Hm....I know the Broncos wouldn't have had a chance to get him otherwise, but, I can't say I'm impressed with drafting a pot smoker.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope Von Miller and Demarcus Ware can keep him on the straight and narrow. Especially as it means a bunch of quality tackles are going to go between now and the next time the Broncos pick. And depth at guard is now a significant issue.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the pro day stuff...Shane Ray is over-rate, because of the freaking SEC. Eli Harold is 100times the athlete he is. Shane Ray is far too slow, and not strong enough. And his 20ss, and three-cone drill are slower than some o-linemen.

Maybe it's because of his injury, but, the numbers disagree with the tape, and suggest that he's over-rated.

If he proves me wrong..great...but.............. ......

ReputationRep:
    Here are my first round grades. It's way too early, sure, but, lots of swings and misses.

1. Jameis Winston, QB Tampa Bay: B-
    2. Marcus Mariota, QB, Tennessee: C-
    3. Dante Fowler Jr., EDGE, Jacksonville: C
    4. Amari Cooper, WR, Oakland: C-
    5. Brandon Sherff, OG, Washington: C
    6. Leonard Williams, DL, NYJ: A* + Extra Credit.
    7. Kevin White, WR, Chicago: D-
    8. Vic Beasley, EDGE, Atlanta: A
    9. Ereck Flowers, OL, NYG: B-
    10. Todd Gurley, RB, St. Louis: C+
    11. Trae Waynes, CB, Minnesota: A
    12. Danny Shelton, NT, Factory of Sadness: B+
    13. Andrus Peat, OT, New Orleans: B
    14. DeVante Parker, WR, Miami: C
    15. Melvin Gordon, RB, San Diego: C
    16. Kevin Johnson, CB, Houston: B-
    17. Arik Armstead, DE, Santa Clara: B-
    18. Marcus Peters, CB, Kansas City: C+
    19. Cameron Erving, OL, Factory of Sadness: B-
    20. Nelson Agholor, WR, Philadelphia: B+
    21. Cedric Ogbuehi, OL, Cincinnati: B
    22. Bud Dupree, EDGE, Pittsburgh: A*
    23. Shane Ray, EDGE, Denver: C-
    24. DJ Humphries, OT, Arizona: A
    25. Shaq Thompson, ATH, Carolina: B-
    26. Breshad Perriman, WR, Baltimore: C-
    27. Byron Jones, DB, Dallas: B+
    28. Laken Tomlinson, OG, Detroit: B+
    29. Phillip Dorsett, WR, Indianapolis: D-
    30. Damarious Randall, FS, Green Bay: C+
    31. Stephone Anthony, ILB, New Orleans: B
    32. Malcom Brown, DT, New England: A* + Extra Credit.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.