Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessbuss97)
    Is anyone here doing psychology and sociology? If you are please can you tell me how you are planning your revision for both topics? I'm really struggling as there is so much to learn for both subjects, so any tips would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    First for psychology im memorizing essays ive got around 3 essays left for relationships and then i have to memorize another 15 andthen ive done the first exam, second one is much shorter with research method being a big chunk of that exam.
    Sociology im just going to learn studies and names rather than essays because i dont have any model answer essays, but ive done alot in class and outside of class especially during the mocks for the first exam so i doubt i would spend more than a day or two learning that exam, second one again just learn names and studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    A large grand total of 0! But I have a very good memory, so I'll be fine
    what other subjects are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Also, you know when questions say ' evaluate research into...' , do you have to jump straight into the research findings that support or refute the theory, or can you include a little bit of outline of the theory. I know this question may sound silly, but I'm just asking because if you jump into research without explaining the theory, the evaluation won't make sense
    If its a research question, you outline the research study and evaluate with other research (contradictory or supportive) and IDA's such as simplistic etc
    I wouldn't talk about the theory in research unless you use it to evaluate e.g The research supports the idea behind Social Learning Theory and seems creditable because etc

ReputationRep:
    Issues and debates?
    I think s/he means issues surrounding reliability and validity when diagnosing schizophrenia (or other disorder you are studying)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    what other subjects are you doing?
    Biology and use of maths, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed Rahman)
    I think s/he means issues surrounding reliability and validity when diagnosing schizophrenia (or other disorder you are studying)
    Oh phew haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Osiris)
    'Discuss issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia (8+16)'
    Are people using DSM IV or DSM V for this?
    And if DSM V, are you explaining differences between it and the previous one?

A diagnostic manual such as DSM-V and ICD-10 must have good reliability of diagnosis (consistency). In order for the manuals to have good reliability, it must have good inter-rater reliability, is the diagnostic material consistent that two different assessors can successfully diagnose a person with the same disorder. Also, the manuals should also have good validity. This refers to how well the manuals distinguishes between OCD and other disorders (discriminant validity).

A weakness of diagnostic manuals is that they are subjective. It is difficult to establish cut off points between normal anxiety like checking if a door is locked and obsessive checking.DSM-V states that to have OCD, a patient must have had obsessions and/or compulsions for at least 2 weeks and for at least an hour a day. This is a bad thing because some assessors may not agree that 2 weeks is enough time to diagnose someone with such a big disorder, there is also a risk of labelling and causing a self fulfilling prophecy. This makes diagnosis inconsistent and therefore makes DSM-V not reliable.

Another weakness of the diagnostic manuals is that studies show that they don't have good validity. Woody et al. found poor discrimination between OCD and depression. This is bad because patients diagnosed with OCD were often diagnosed with depression too. This makes it difficult for assessors to identify which disorder should be treated.

However, Rosenfeld found that patients diagnosed with OCD had higher YBOCS scores than patients with anxiety. YBOCS is the best scale for measuring the extent to which obsessions and compulsions affects a person's life. To support this, Woody et al. found that the YBOCS had excellent inter-rater reliability, therefore DSM is good at detecting the extent to which OCD affects people.

Another weakness of ICD and DSM is that they are western based diagnostic manuals, making them ethnocentric. The symptoms are often shaped by a patients culture of origin. This may lead to problems with diagnosis because the symptoms listed by DSM are culturally biased. For example, in western society, an OCD patient may feel they need to wash their hands obsessively after touching someone. However, in indian cultures, someone may feel the need to wash their hands obsessively because they touched someone from a lower caste. So, it has etic bias, this is a bad thing because the diagnostic material can only be applied to western cultures.

Instead of OCD, substitute for schizophrenia and use examples from that topic?

ReputationRep:
    Biology and use of maths, you?
    biology and sociology, have you revised yet for biology?

ReputationRep:
    biology and sociology, have you revised yet for biology?
    I sound so terrible but... Nope, not really gotten into it anyway! Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I sound so terrible but... Nope, not really gotten into it anyway! Yourself?
    Yeh ive nearly finished f214 the first exam, and ive finished one unit for the second exam i did the cellular contol bit with translation dna and all that jazz.

What grades are you hoping to get in bio? And what did you get last year if you dont mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh ive nearly finished f214 the first exam, and ive finished one unit for the second exam i did the cellular contol bit with translation dna and all that jazz.

What grades are you hoping to get in bio? And what did you get last year if you dont mind me asking.
    No of course! I got a B and need an A for university you?

Ah my first biology exam is the 16th so after Psych, although obviously I'll have to revise along with psychology!

ReputationRep:
    No of course! I got a B and need an A for university you?

Ah my first biology exam is the 16th so after Psych, although obviously I'll have to revise along with psychology!
    I got a c and would take a c in the exam cause i know hard it is going to be, yeh im sure mines around 16th and 23rd

ReputationRep:
    I got a c and would take a c in the exam cause i know hard it is going to be, yeh im sure mines around 16th and 23rd
    Yeah my dates are the same, except I do Edexcel. Well good luck I'm sure you'll get the grade!

ReputationRep:
    Issues and debates?
    Issues & debates surrounding classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia including reliability and validity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterpotatoes)
    No I meant not to use culture bias in every essay - of course there are some essays such as the social exchange theory where culture bias is very relevant. But in certain topics, for example theories of sexual selection, culture bias may not be as applicable/relevant.
    ok but you oculd still kinda use it for sexual selection? E.g. men preferring casual sex is mainly existent in only western cultures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    ok but you oculd still kinda use it for sexual selection? E.g. men preferring casual sex is mainly existent in only western cultures?
    100% would use culture bias is sexual selection, as the evolutionary theory would argue it is an innate drive within all of us. However, cultural differences says otherwise, therefore the evolutionary theory is flawed as men in collectivist societies have less of a need to spread his genes, but empahsise staying monogamous for the needs and desires of the family.

ReputationRep:
    No I meant not to use culture bias in every essay - of course there are some essays such as the social exchange theory where culture bias is very relevant. But in certain topics, for example theories of sexual selection, culture bias may not be as applicable/relevant.
    100% would use culture bias is sexual selection, as the evolutionary theory would argue it is an innate drive within all of us. However, cultural differences says otherwise, therefore the evolutionary theory is flawed as men in collectivist societies have less of a need to spread his genes, but empahsise staying monogamous for the needs and desires of the family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed Rahman)
    Yeah tbh, i reckon its a strong point just like any other as long as you explain it in the context of the question

ReputationRep:
    You can use culture bias in every essay aslong as you think it fits correctly for example rather than say the generic only applies to western cultures and therefore cannot apply to eastern or collectivist etc, explain why this is in the context of question, it may be norms and values are different so in the case of relationships arrange marriages more prevelanet than in western cultures so you cant generalise?

So its all about applying it same thing with lab based artificial validity etc, all need to be relevant.

Best way to put it is if youre eval point can fit into another essay it isnt right. Each eval point needs to be specific to the question.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys reckon would be the likely question for aggression, eating behaviour and relationships?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.