Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    Why would it? You are confusing the reactions of alcohols with the reactions of phenol.

yeah.... that makes sense

Also, if you were drawing ch3ch2nh3+cl- backward, would you draw the charges on the right or the left side of the atom? cl-nh3+ch2ch3 or -cl+nh3ch2ch3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suibster)
    Got a simple question to ask
    this is the question.
    Why wouldn't the answer be this (the second picture) as the NaOH would also react with the alcohol group.

The actual answer is (the third picture)
    It's not in excess The OH- ion needs to go to one side, the Na+ goes to a O- to form ONA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qweening)
    It's not in excess The OH- ion needs to go to one side, the Na+ goes to a O- to form ONA.
    it's only the O-H in phenol and carboxylic acid that reacts with Na

ReputationRep:
    it's only the O-H in phenol that reacts with Na
    It's not a phenol, I was answering this question
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...7&d=1465719671

ReputationRep:
    Got a simple question to ask
    this is the question.
    Why wouldn't the answer be this (the second picture) as the NaOH would also react with the alcohol group.

The actual answer is (the third picture)
    i had a simialir qs and it is thata alcohols are not strong enough acids to form salts, ikr its o confusing one time the ms asks for one thing another time it asks for another thing
    carboxylic acid is strong enough to form a salt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should we know how Tollen's is made? I'm thinking they'll throw some odd questions in f324, but looking at the spec, I don't see how?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qweening)
    Should we know how Tollen's is made? I'm thinking they'll throw some odd questions in f324, but looking at the spec, I don't see how?!
    I would make sure you know it, it was asked in the Legacy papers and could maybe come up (I doubt it though). Isn't it just react silver nitrate with ammonia and heat or something ?

ReputationRep:
    guys im so confsued about naming benzene when do i use phenyl and when do i use benzene

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    guys im so confsued about naming benzene when do i use phenyl and when do i use benzene

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phenyl when the benzene is a substituent, benzene when it has substituents. There are multiple equally valid names for those sorts of compounds.

ReputationRep:

OHCH2CHO + 3[O] --> HOOCCOOH + H2O

hey guys, just wondering why only 1 mole of H2O is made when both the alcohol and aldehyde groups are oxidised?
    Attached Images

OHCH2CHO + 3[O] --> HOOCCOOH + H2O

hey guys, just wondering why only 1 mole of H2O is made when both the alcohol and aldehyde groups are oxidised?
    Oxidising the aldehyde doesn't produce water. Oxidising the alcohol produces one water. You could just balance the equation.

ReputationRep:
    Nucleophilic addition and reduction are the same reactions

True or False.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayMasterio)

True or False.
    True? Reduction of ketone/aldehyde/CA is a nucleophilic addition reaction in which the hydride ion is the nucleophile (formed from NaBH4)?

(Original post by RayMasterio)

True or False.
    In terms of carboxylic acids, ketones and aldehydes - true

ReputationRep:
    on proton NMR if there is a triplet and a quartet, generally, does that mean there is a CH3-CH2?

ReputationRep:
    what are the predictions for f324 f325
    if someone has mentioned it already, kindly tell me the page number on this thread.
    Much appreciated.

(Original post by itsConnor_)
    on proton NMR if there is a triplet and a quartet, generally, does that mean there is a CH3-CH2?
    Depends on the environments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    In terms of carboxylic acids, ketones and aldehydes - true
    As far as Im aware, I dont think you can reduce Carboxylic acids using the same reduction mechanism as used for Carbonyl compounds

(Original post by RetroSpectro)
    As far as Im aware, I dont think you can reduce Carboxylic acids using the same reduction mechanism as used for Carbonyl compounds
    You can't but I think it does involve nucleophilic addition

ReputationRep:
    I have a question.

During polymerisation of an amino acid, how do you know if you're forming a dipeptide or if you're polymerising the amino acid itself?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.