The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465760964.338118.jpg guys how are we supposed to know where the double bond is in the structure?!i put it randomly anywhere but in the ms they wanted a specific structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 861
dont think like that! just know that each and every single one of us is feeling that way! dont stress, try your best and forget the rest! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465760964.338118.jpg guys how are we supposed to know where the double bond is in the structure?!i put it randomly anywhere but in the ms they wanted a specific structure

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says F is an amino acid, so consider the general formula of an amino acid: http://www.mrothery.co.uk/images/aa.GIF
If E is oxidised to an amino acid by Tollens, that means an ALDEHYDE group is being oxidised to a CARBOXYLIC ACID group :smile:

One carbon must be bonded to an NH2, a COOH, an H and a R group (for F) - hence the only thing you can change is the R group and the double bond must be in the R group. If there is no double bond, it wont fit the molecular formula it gives
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AqsaMx
How would you form a carboxylic acid from its salt?

How would you form a 'normal' acid from it's salt? :smile:

(Can you even form an acid from it's salt....)
(edited 7 years ago)
legit hate chemistry rn :[
Reply 865
Original post by Serine Soul
How would you form a 'normal' acid from it's salt? :smile:

(Can you even form an acid from it's salt....)

I don't know if this is right but for example CH3COO-Na + HCl > CH3COOH + NaCl? Is this right?

I think you can, my teacher gave it as a set of questions
Hey! I'll not have that kind of talk!
Original post by AqsaMx
I don't know if this is right but for example CH3COO-Na + HCl > CH3COOH + NaCl? Is this right?

I think you can, my teacher gave it as a set of questions

Ah yes of course!
what do you guys think is gonna come up for the NMR imagine if they ask us to draw one- bye
You'll be okay, there's loads of people here who will help you with anything you're stuck on. I know I start feeling like that when I've been doing too much work, maybe you need to take a break and relax a bit, just completely forget about the exam for a couple of hours and do something you like. It always does me a world of good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 870
Original post by itsConnor_
It says F is an amino acid, so consider the general formula of an amino acid: http://www.mrothery.co.uk/images/aa.GIF
If E is oxidised to an amino acid by Tollens, that means an ALDEHYDE group is being oxidised to a CARBOXYLIC ACID group :smile:

One carbon must be bonded to an NH2, a COOH, an H and a R group (for F) - hence the only thing you can change is the R group and the double bond must be in the R group. If there is no double bond, it wont fit the molecular formula it gives

thank h soo much! tbh i didnt even think about it being an amino acid, i totally overlooked that and focused more on it being an optical isomer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 871
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465763175.471769.jpg
guys how would one identify the final strucutre out of four isomers? what info would u use to determine that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpeg

Can anyone explain the relative heights question? What's it even asking?

Which paper is this? I want to attempt it myself.
Original post by ranz
guys how would one identify the final strucutre out of four isomers? what info would u use to determine that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't see the whole question, but look at the number of peaks on the c13 spectrum and look at your isomers and cross out any that have more or less environments than the peak
How are you structuring your answers for the long answer NMR questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's the number of C-13 peaks = no. of carbon environments. Only one of the isomers has 5 carbon environments
Original post by yoda123
How are you structuring your answers for the long answer NMR questions

Table of peaks!
Original post by marioman
Table of peaks!

like this: https://gyazo.com/00189d6d37f578bd4c41e126c744c875 ?

Considering if I should do that.....
Original post by itsConnor_
like this: https://gyazo.com/00189d6d37f578bd4c41e126c744c875 ?

Considering if I should do that.....

Definitely. In that particular question that table alone would score the first 4 marks.
Original post by marioman
Definitely. In that particular question that table alone would score the first 4 marks.

Even if you're not saying 'relative peak area of 3 indicates 3 hydrogens in this environment' and 'triplet indicates 2 hydrogens on the adjacent carbon' etc. ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending