Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    No worries

Hugs for all and sorry for not being around/replying VMs etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No need to say sorry! I hope you are feeling better now :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    furryface12 and moment of truth : sorry for worrying you guys, I'm ok. I hope you are all ok.

Hugs to anyone who needs them

(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    I was initially investigated for a pulmonary embolus but they didn't see any signs pointing to that. Then two weeks later I found that I was having difficulty breathing, at first I thought it was my asthma playing up but my inhalers weren't helping. Kept getting worse and felt like I couldn't get in enough air and it got to the point where I kept thinking about breathing 24/7. Went to the GP and she said it's anxiety and prescribed me diazepam which worked wonders. Now on citalopram and it's pretty much gone. I also feel a lot better in general, like I'm happier and more optimistic about life. Guess it was killing two birds with one stone.

Lol didn't mean to write my entire mental health journey. Which is pretty tame compared to many people on here. But anyway.
    I'm not sure what that is but it doesn't sound pleasant, so I'm glad you don't have that!
    That's really not a good thing to have happen! I've experienced that before and it's really horrible isn't it! Mine cleared naturally after a while.
    I'm glad the medication worked well for you!!
    Ugh Citalopram didn't mix well with me at all! I was asleep all the time when I was on it!
    I'm super happy that you're happier and more positive now! That's great to hear!

No worries! It was interesting to read!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My dad just kicked off at me for ordering sleeping pills. Apparently none of my antidepressants have worked because of all the other **** I'm taking???? I take a vitamin B12 supplement. The other day he accused me of taking drugs because I slept all day. The only time I don't sleep all day is when I'm taking drugs. Then everyone tells me the therapy or meds are working even though I say they aren't?? No, now I actually am taking stuff. Got a therapy appointment tomorrow and it's such a stupid waste of time but I feel bad texting to say I want to stop going. My mum was drunk the other night and asked what I'm going to do when I fail my A levels (again) and don't get into uni :rofl3: might not be failing if my school gave me the support I was meant to get 3 years ago instead of kicking off about my **** attendance. All my friends are *****. Can't really be ****ed any more. Sorry for ranting.

Quick Question: You may have noticed that I've been on this thread a lot over the last couple of days,p. I've quoted a lot of people and tried to help them to feel better!
    my question is: Do you get annoyed with me quoting everyone? I just want to be helpful and try to help people to feel better!
    Would you like me to cut it down a bit?

(Original post by JordanL_)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My dad just kicked off at me for ordering sleeping pills. Apparently none of my antidepressants have worked because of all the other **** I'm taking???? I take a vitamin B12 supplement. The other day he accused me of taking drugs because I slept all day. The only time I don't sleep all day is when I'm taking drugs. Then everyone tells me the therapy or meds are working even though I say they aren't?? No, now I actually am taking stuff. Got a therapy appointment tomorrow and it's such a stupid waste of time but I feel bad texting to say I want to stop going. My mum was drunk the other night and asked what I'm going to do when I fail my A levels (again) and don't get into uni :rofl3: might not be failing if my school gave me the support I was meant to get 3 years ago instead of kicking off about my **** attendance. All my friends are *****. Can't really be ****ed any more. Sorry for ranting.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't worry about ranting!
    I'd just try to ignore your parents (easier said than done I know) because they don't seem to realize what you're going through! Maybe you can try to explain to them the difficulties you're having?
    They really shouldn't be accusing you of random stuff. You're not well and they should be trying to help you, not acting like jerks!
    I know the feeling! People just don't listen do they!
    Well if it's a waste of time I'd highly reccomend stopping it! My therapy was a waste of time and I continued with it. I then started to fake being better so that it would just be over (I'm no where near normal yet).
    Wow that's a horrible thing to say! Schools are crap at that sort of thing! And you're better off without your 'friends'

Things will improve soon! Trust me!
    You will pass these exams and get into uni!
    You will lead a happy life and have many great things happen!
    Stick with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    I'm not sure what that is but it doesn't sound pleasant, so I'm glad you don't have that!
    That's really not a good thing to have happen! I've experienced that before and it's really horrible isn't it! Mine cleared naturally after a while.
    I'm glad the medication worked well for you!!
    Ugh Citalopram didn't mix well with me at all! I was asleep all the time when I was on it!
    I'm super happy that you're happier and more positive now! That's great to hear!

No worries! It was interesting to read!
    Same, I sleep loads with citalopram but to be honest I sleep loads in general anyway so I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Quick Question: You may have noticed that I've been on this thread a lot over the last couple of days,p. I've quoted a lot of people and tried to help them to feel better!
    my question is: Do you get annoyed with me quoting everyone? I just want to be helpful and try to help people to feel better!
    Would you like me to cut it down a bit?
    You sound extremely cheery, how do you do it?

I doubt anyone in their right mind would be offended, positivity is very helpful especially in a thread like this.

ReputationRep:
    Same, I sleep loads with citalopram but to be honest I sleep loads in general anyway so I haven't noticed much of a difference.

I doubt anyone in their right mind would be offended, positivity is very helpful especially in a thread like this.
    Isn't part of the point that many people who are struggling with anxiety/depression, as two examples, aren't in their 'right mind' and need help to get there. Of course pushing against getting there is a difficult thing. Though I would also hesitate at a suggestion there is a quick fix.

I needed to change that as I start work in August and it was impossible for me to wake up before 11am
    But I guess that's a common thing with those meds?!
    Ah well it doesn't affect you too much then?

No idea tbh. But Thankyou!!
    I went through a dark patch a month ago, I went to fix myself and have just been looking at the positive side of things since then! I'm now very positive indeed and am trying to spread positivity!

Ah well I'm happy to hear that! I don't want to stop tbh, but I don't want to end up overrunning the thread either!
    That's very true! I'm trying to spread it to as many people as possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Isn't part of the point that many people who are struggling with anxiety/depression, as two examples, aren't in their 'right mind' and need help to get there. Of course pushing against getting there is a difficult thing. Though I would also hesitate at a suggestion there is a quick fix.
    Perhaps 'in their right mind' wasn't the best choice of words in such a thread but as for everything else you said... sorry, what are you talking about?

And I mean that with the greatest respect. Perhaps I'm being a little too slow, perhaps you didn't explain clearly enough. Perhaps it's a little bit of both.

ReputationRep:
    All I can hear is the voices laughing at me. I can't focus on anything; just did an online quiz which is part of my class and got 34.5%. I want to sleep but I have so much work to do before tomorrow. I feel like I really can't deal with this.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    All I can hear is the voices laughing at me. I can't focus on anything; just did an online quiz which is part of my class and got 34.5%. I want to sleep but I have so much work to do before tomorrow. I feel like I really can't deal with this.
    I hope these voices stop soon! It must be awful having them there!
    You can deal with this! You're strong and intelligent! You can overcome this!
    You can get your work done and have a great nights sleep!
    Trust me! You will pull through this and lead a happy life!

ReputationRep:
    I hope these voices stop soon! It must be awful having them there!
    You can deal with this! You're strong and intelligent! You can overcome this!
    You can get your work done and have a great nights sleep!
    Trust me! You will pull through this and lead a happy life!
    I'm not sure I can, buddy.

I'm at uni for 7 hours a day then I come home and have to do online quizzes and the reading for the next day. I knew summer classes were intense but I really think I'm in way over my head here. Seeing a new psychiatrist on friday (hopefully) so I've got worries about that hanging over my head too. I always worry that s/he will be an ******* after my terrible experiences with several NHS psychiatrists even though I know that doctors here are different (I live in the US).

How're you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    furryface12 and moment of truth : sorry for worrying you guys, I'm ok. I hope you are all ok.

No need to say sorry! I'm glad you are okay! Haven't had the best night, but have generally been okay

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'm not sure I can, buddy.

I'm at uni for 7 hours a day then I come home and have to do online quizzes and the reading for the next day. I knew summer classes were intense but I really think I'm in way over my head here. Seeing a new psychiatrist on friday (hopefully) so I've got worries about that hanging over my head too. I always worry that s/he will be an ******* after my terrible experiences with several NHS psychiatrists even though I know that doctors here are different (I live in the US).

How're you?
    I'm sure you can!!

Ah I see. It doesn't sound like you have much free time then?
    Is there anyone you can speak to at your summer classes about this? Maybe they can be more lenient with things?
    Ah excellent! I hope they're good! You deserve someone good after the terrible experiences!
    I didn't know the NHS did things in the US tbh.
    I've not had the best experiences with them myself. I've been discharged after seeing a therapist about my OCD and I'm nowhere near better yet!

Currently I'm fairly stable which is good (no idea how long that will last). The past couple of nights have been hell though. I've barely slept because of my issues.
    But I'm mostly ok at the moment. Thanks for asking!

ReputationRep:
    :sigh: I think I've well and truly screwed my sleeping pattern up.

Oh well.

At least it means people don't see the mess I am anymore.

(Original post by Midnightmemories)
    :sigh: I think I've well and truly screwed my sleeping pattern up.

Oh well.

At least it means people don't see the mess I am anymore.
    You're not a mess!!!
    You're a lovely person who deserves the best in life!!!
    Good things will happen for you!
    You shall live a happy life!
    Don't let this get you down because you're awesome!! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't worry about ranting!
    I'd just try to ignore your parents (easier said than done I know) because they don't seem to realize what you're going through! Maybe you can try to explain to them the difficulties you're having?
    They really shouldn't be accusing you of random stuff. You're not well and they should be trying to help you, not acting like jerks!
    I know the feeling! People just don't listen do they!
    Well if it's a waste of time I'd highly reccomend stopping it! My therapy was a waste of time and I continued with it. I then started to fake being better so that it would just be over (I'm no where near normal yet).
    Wow that's a horrible thing to say! Schools are crap at that sort of thing! And you're better off without your 'friends'

Things will improve soon! Trust me!
    You will pass these exams and get into uni!
    You will lead a happy life and have many great things happen!
    Stick with it!
    Hey thank you, this made me feel a bit better I feel a bit bad for ranting about my parents. They try their best to understand and help, and they're usually patient with me, I've just been in a pretty **** mood recently so I guess they're a bit fed up, understandably. But yeah, I think I'm gonna tell my therapist tomorrow I don't want to continue with it, even though it's probably my second last session anyway. I feel bad telling her she hasn't really helped, so I think I'll just tell her I'm better Keep being positive, I appreciate your kind words, and you can PM me whenever if you want to talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)

Good :hugs:

Hope everyone's alright! Thanks TLG too

(Original post by JordanL_)
    Hey thank you, this made me feel a bit better I feel a bit bad for ranting about my parents. They try their best to understand and help, and they're usually patient with me, I've just been in a pretty **** mood recently so I guess they're a bit fed up, understandably. But yeah, I think I'm gonna tell my therapist tomorrow I don't want to continue with it, even though it's probably my second last session anyway. I feel bad telling her she hasn't really helped, so I think I'll just tell her I'm better Keep being positive, I appreciate your kind words, and you can PM me whenever if you want to talk
    No worries! Im very happy to hear that!
    Dont worry about it, everyone does it.
    Hmm they could be fed up i guess, but they should still try and show support! Its good that they have been so i hope they keep it up!
    Ok then! I think its the right thing to do if it hasnt helped! Let me know how you get on there!
    Yeah i can understand that! I did exactly the same thing tbh. My last one didnt help me at all! Im now looking for a new one!
    Positivity FTW!!
    Im glad to hear that! I like to try and help out when i can!
    Thanks for the gesture! Feel free to PM anytime too! Im always open!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.