Japanese Society Watch

ArkUmbra
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Mina san, konnichiwa.

I'm currently in University studying Computer Science, but learning Japanese in my spare time, and was thinking about working my way up to doing an Edexcel Japanese GCSE. Just to get some sort of formal qualification and help me feel like I'm making progress ;] Figured hanging out here would be as good a place as any to keep myself motivated and in the know.

Unfortunately, my understanding of written Japanese is pretty bad. I've learn the Hiragana phonetic alphanet, but still have difficulties reading it in practice. So, lengthy, unnecessary introduction aside, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what these sentences mean, please?

めはどうですか。はい、めもいたいです。ひだりのめもみぎのめもいた いので、よくみえません。

I can sort of change it to Romaji, but I have difficulty figuring out where one word ends and another begins!
Jazmine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, here's how I see it:

め は どう です か。はい、め も いたい です。ひだり の  め も みぎ の め も いたい の で(or ので...)、よく みえません。

=) I hope that helps! Or did you actually want a translation, sorry? =P
ArkUmbra
Report 8 years ago
Haha. That does help a lot with my problems of sentences just looking like particularly long words. However, I was hoping for an actual translation if that's at all possible. Sorry for not being very specific!
Tetra3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hello everyone. This seems like a nice society!

I've been enjoying learning the Japanese writing system just as a hobby. I have learned all of the characters for Hiragana and Katakana but certainly need more practice reading them! I can recognise individual characters fairly quickly - it's just when I see a bunch together I simply can't read them all at once! I've started learning kanji which has also been fun, though a lot more time consuming then the kana.

I also have been teaching myself grammar and vocabulary, but somehow learning the writing has been the most fun for me. I hope to take Japanese as an extra class when I go to uni.
Jazmine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hello Tetra3 and welcome! =D

Nice to hear you are particularly enjoying the writing system - and well, nice to hear about anyone who also enjoys learning Japanese. I have to say, I merely only type Japanese so I have pretty much lost touch with how to write just about every kanji I knew. (Sad times).

Is the writing system the reason for your becoming interested in Japanese?

(Original post by ArkUmbra)
Haha. That does help a lot with my problems of sentences just looking like particularly long words. However, I was hoping for an actual translation if that's at all possible. Sorry for not being very specific!
No problem! Here's what I think:

めはどうですか。はい、めもいたいです。ひだりのめもみぎのめもいた いので、よくみえません。
(目はどうですか? はい、目もいたいです。左の目も右の目もいたい ので、よく見えません )。
= (And) How about your eyes? Yeah, my eyes hurt/are sore too. Since both of them hurt*, I can't see well.
*ひだりのめもみぎのめも = (my) left eye and (my) right eye.

Sounds like a doctor speaking to his or her patient or something..

Regarding not being able to seperate words written in hiragana, it'll get so much easier the more you learn.
If I type like this in English, itisperhapsalittleeasierforyouto understandduetoalreadyknowingthe language.
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tetra3)
Hello everyone. This seems like a nice society!

I've been enjoying learning the Japanese writing system just as a hobby. I have learned all of the characters for Hiragana and Katakana but certainly need more practice reading them! I can recognise individual characters fairly quickly - it's just when I see a bunch together I simply can't read them all at once! I've started learning kanji which has also been fun, though a lot more time consuming then the kana.

I also have been teaching myself grammar and vocabulary, but somehow learning the writing has been the most fun for me. I hope to take Japanese as an extra class when I go to uni.
In which case you will see that we should be at the same Uni this October (if you read my profile/sig). :five:

What's your method for learning?
Bossa Nova
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm going to go to Japan this summer. :excited:
Tetra3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jazmine)
Hello Tetra3 and welcome! =D

Nice to hear you are particularly enjoying the writing system - and well, nice to hear about anyone who also enjoys learning Japanese. I have to say, I merely only type Japanese so I have pretty much lost touch with how to write just about every kanji I knew. (Sad times).

Is the writing system the reason for your becoming interested in Japanese?
I've been keen to learn Japanese for a long time. I liked learning languages such as Spanish and French at GCSE but I'd always wanted to learn something more exotic - something not latin based anyway. I find Japanese culture interesting and would love to visit there so I decided to give it a go. :p:

I started out with a simple Berlitz teach yourself language book, but didn't get very far. I found the grammar quite easy to pick up (although the particles were a bit confusing) but I got some of the vocabulary mixed up.

It wasn't until I got a hold of some kana books that I really got into learning. I found that the kana were surprisingly easier to memorise then expected and it was actually easier to learn the Japanese vocab in kana rather then romanji. I'm currently enjoying the challenge of learning kanji. Stroke order is what helps me remember all of the characters - I can't imagine not knowing it! Still I suppose that shows how used to the characters you must get.

(Original post by ArkUmbra)
I can sort of change it to Romaji, but I have difficulty figuring out where one word ends and another begins!
Yeah! I find this problem too - it honestly takes me ages to work out some sentences. But it's all good fun. =P

(Original post by Sapientia)
In which case you will see that we should be at the same Uni this October (if you read my profile/sig). :five:

I've been learning with a combination of Berlitz Beginner's Japanese and the 'Lets Learn Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji' series by Yasuko Kosaka Mitamura. I've been thinking of getting the book 'Remembering the Kanji' by James W. Heisig. I don't really have a method; it's mainly just through writing things over and over until I know it.

Oh cool you're doing linguistics at Queen's? (I'm sad to admit I had to look up a lot to be able to understand your signature, unfortunately :p: ) That's pretty neat. As you probably already read, I'll be doing Engineering. The engineering department offers some language courses so I hope to sign up to their Japanese class.
nymeria
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I think there's going to be more people studying Japanese in other subjects than in AMES this year! Be prepared to be tracked down in the first week with "EXPLAIN THIS! EXPLAIN THIS!", okay?
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tetra3)
I've been learning with a combination of Berlitz Beginner's Japanese and the 'Lets Learn Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji' series by Yasuko Kosaka Mitamura. I've been thinking of getting the book 'Remembering the Kanji' by James W. Heisig. I don't really have a method; it's mainly just through writing things over and over until I know it.

Oh cool you're doing linguistics at Queen's? (I'm sad to admit I had to look up a lot to be able to understand your signature, unfortunately :p: ) That's pretty neat. As you probably already read, I'll be doing Engineering. The engineering department offers some language courses so I hope to sign up to their Japanese class.
Oh, I've never heard of Berlitz. I never used one of the 'Pimsleur' or 'Assimil' or whatevers, so I'm not that knowledgeable about all of that. I can highly recommend Heisig's method for learning the kanji, it's what I used to great success. However! You don't need to buy the book. This website plus a few others (namely this and this) are more than sufficient for your kanji needs. If you need any help, holler and I'd love to get involved.

Yes, Linguistics at Queens'. The interview was so fun! I had a great time there and fell even more in love with the college. Oh awesome, that'd be great if you could sign up to the Japanese class. Personally I'll keep Japanese as my thing-on-the-side, but I definitely want to study some languages at The Language Centre and in my second year (if I have time), I'd be keen to do a certificate in a language as well. Hope to see you in the Japanese Society there.

(Original post by nymeria)
I think there's going to be more people studying Japanese in other subjects than in AMES this year! Be prepared to be tracked down in the first week with "EXPLAIN THIS! EXPLAIN THIS!", okay?
Hi, fellow Cantab! I'd love to be ninja-tracked and harpooned with Japanese questions. :ninja: Hope to see you in the Japanese Society there. Seriously though, Japanese is a major passion of mine, so if you ever did want to talk about the language or anything related, I'm honestly more than happy!
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bossa Nova)
I'm going to go to Japan this summer. :excited:
Where in Japan and when?
Bossa Nova
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Where in Japan and when?
July 20th and I'm going Tokyo!!!! :woo:
Fen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
こんいちは!

私は一年学生で日本語大学です. でも、下手です。 どうぞよろしくおねがいします.

Right. please bear with my horrible Japanese.
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
July 20th and I'm going Tokyo!!!!
How long you going for?
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
July 20th and I'm going Tokyo!!!! :woo:
I'm going to be going to Tokyo from the 6th August to the 20th August. For the first week, I'll be staying with my friend in Minato-ku, then for the second week I intend to do some adventuring on my own, either to other cities in Japan like Kyoto, Osaka etc., or just explore Tokyo even more. I can't bloody well wait!

Who are you going with and for how long?
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Be prepared to die of heat.
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by atheistwithfaith)
Be prepared to die of heat.
I'm prepared. I have a travel fan, somewhere...
Sinley
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm going to be going to Tokyo from the 6th August to the 20th August. For the first week, I'll be staying with my friend in Minato-ku, then for the second week I intend to do some adventuring on my own, either to other cities in Japan like Kyoto, Osaka etc., or just explore Tokyo even more. I can't bloody well wait!

Who are you going with and for how long?
How about coming Ehime? haha
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sinley)
How about coming Ehime? haha
愛媛県に住んでるの?
Sinley
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
愛媛県に住んでるの?
そうです。日本で一番古い温泉で有名です。
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (24)
17.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
39.13%
Nope, not that interesting (60)
43.48%

Watched Threads