The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryJan)
    I'm Jan, hey!

GCSEs I'm taking:

-Maths
    -English Lit
    -English Lang
    -Geography
    -Spanish
    -Drama
    -Religious Education
    -Triple Science

I kinda want to be a Forensic Psychiatrist and would love to go OxBridge route but I'm not certain yet. Lot's of options haha.

Our school did the PIXL tests last year and I did pretty well in both Maths (8i, 7i, 7s) and English (8) but the boundaries are going to get harder as we go through the year eck. I dunno how to feel about that.
    How do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    Hey I know it's early but has anyone done mocks and got their results. I got an overall grade of a 6 in English. But did really bad in maths and got a 4. Really struggling for maths. Could someone tell me how they revise and what resources they use? I am doing Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haseb just do questions and learn the methods so in the cgp guides the questions that you cant do ask your teacher or use youtube

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you have been very helpful. I need to start on doing maths revision as ypu have said. I am doing better at English than maths which is a big surprise and did get the english award last year.

Have you made any revision notes for maths and what board are you doing?

Im ganna do all the maths past papers mark them and grade them. We did one past paper last year and got an A. Thanks for the advice x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a few maths revision notes from last year when we did the mocks but I haven't made any new ones. I think we're doing Edexcel or Aqa I can't actually remember haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    How do you mean?
    My english teacher said that, as we go through the year, they're gonna raise the boundaries up and up as we get "better" at doing these types of tests. Like they'll keep looking at the mock tests we do and see how many people perform super well and fit the boundary to that. I don't know if that's actually what's happening as my school (and most places) are a little clueless on what's happening

ReputationRep:
    I'm still baffed about what PiXL papers are and why they are necessary. Seems like a waste of money to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I'm still baffed about what PiXL papers are and why they are necessary. Seems like a waste of money to me.
    They are going to decide what number a grade C should be from the results they get. Its most likely a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They are going to decide what number a grade C should be from the results they get. Its most likely a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That has already been decided a long time ago by Ofqual? 4 is a low C, 5 is a high C. 5 is what is needed for a "good" pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    That has already been decided a long time ago by Ofqual? 4 is a low C, 5 is a high C. 5 is what is needed for a "good" pass.
    Yes
    My teacher was explaining all that today. I did really bad in maths. I got a 4,without revision which is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! My name's Leo and I'm studying

English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Triple science (OCR)
    History (Edexcel)
    French (Edexcel)
    R.S (Edexcel)
    BTEC IT
    BTEC business

I do regret taking business tbh and I wish I did something better like sociology. I find the business stuff too easy and I'm way ahead everyone else, but that's the way it is.

For A-Levels I would like to study English Lit, history, politics and maybe one other but I'm undecided between French, sociology, psychology or philosophy! Any advice for which one to take would be good thanks.

I want to study law at university and maybe persue a career in that field or possibly journalism.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    How much do universities like an A level language???

I do Spanish, and my school is the only school in area that do Spanish, with the exception of private and grammar schools near me. I don't want to stay on for sixth form at my school, because it's not the best, but if I want to do A level Spanish I feel like I have no choice but to stay. So how much to university's like an A level language of any of you know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)

I do Spanish, and my school is the only school in area that do Spanish, with the exception of private and grammar schools near me. I don't want to stay on for sixth form at my school, because it's not the best, but if I want to do A level Spanish I feel like I have no choice but to stay. So how much to university's like an A level language of any of you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends on the degree, but a modern foreign language counts as a facilitating subject which means it can open a lot of doors for you. But tbh, I would be weary at choosing not to change schools just to take Spanish. It matters a lot more what grades you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    My teacher was explaining all that today. I did really bad in maths. I got a 4,without revision which is pathetic.
    A 4 is not pathetic. You have plenty of time to improve.

(Original post by StrawberryJan)
    My english teacher said that, as we go through the year, they're gonna raise the boundaries up and up as we get "better" at doing these types of tests. Like they'll keep looking at the mock tests we do and see how many people perform super well and fit the boundary to that. I don't know if that's actually what's happening as my school (and most places) are a little clueless on what's happening
    That's quite weird. Schools are clueless as to the boundaries, and often use flat-out unrealistic (high) grade boundaries, making students feel like they are making less progress than they actually are. (applies if your school uses the concept, likely a poor interpretation of UMS marks, that 90% is an 8, 70% is a 7, etc.) I believe most people are having this problem right now. The solution is to focus on the mark that you get, and the implications of that (ie. what you need to improve), and mostly disregard the grade. If in doubt, use the grade boundaries from the old spec, and lower the boundaries a bit, though those might still be overestimates, depending on how people handle the new Maths spec and EngLit. This applies to all people doing the reformed GCSEs :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest I'd only recommend doing an A-level language if you're planning on doing a degree that involves linguistics. In many other cases it's better to have a more relevant subject, although it could be a good 4th option, if you're good at it!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there I'm Craig.

I am taking 9 gcse: Maths, English lit and language, Triple Science, Re, Product Design and Computer Science. I also take 2 btecs: business and pe.

I aim to get A*'s in all my subject to go to a private 6th form to study maths,further maths, physics and computer science.

For uni I would like to study either business or computer science. Also is anyone interested in making a group so that we can revise and help each other, because it would really help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurryleo)
    Hello! My name's Leo and I'm studying

English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Triple science (OCR)
    History (Edexcel)
    French (Edexcel)
    R.S (Edexcel)
    BTEC IT
    BTEC business

I do regret taking business tbh and I wish I did something better like sociology. I find the business stuff too easy and I'm way ahead everyone else, but that's the way it is.

For A-Levels I would like to study English Lit, history, politics and maybe one other but I'm undecided between French, sociology, psychology or philosophy! Any advice for which one to take would be good thanks.

I want to study law at university and maybe persue a career in that field or possibly journalism.

Thank you!
    what exam board do you do for business?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do ocr computing ? Or FM ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    Anyone do ocr computing ? Or FM ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I do OCR Computing, how can I help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Yes I do OCR Computing, how can I help?
    are you currently doing CA ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    are you currently doing CA ?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    what exam board do you do for business?
    I'm not too sure, it's a BTEC so it may be different. We're doing marketing and recruitment atm

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.