UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Shuijing
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Does everyone get their results straight after they've done the test then? Or does it take like a week for you to get them or something? ._.

(& Sorry for posting 2ce!)
shahrukh24
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you get it straight away
lisa_xx
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ShafaqRauf)

you mind me asking..? wat was ur UKCAT score last year ?
it taking me foreverrrr to do the verbal reasoning anf the QT !! . . i m only that far yet ! .. n im finding it everrr soooo difficult with the timing for qt ! but for verbal reasoning.. itsss hard to get the questions correct ? did any body else feel the same way ..? that they are getting verbal reasoning incorrect ??

Thank you for ur help ! .. lemee know.. if u need help with nething !!
no i didnt apply last year either! my skool predicted me 3 B's which was obv way too low to apply for medicine! i knew id get rejected so i jus applied for chemistry n thot i wud apply for med at graduate entry! wen i got my results this yr it changed my mind n u hav helped to reinforce tht im doin the rite decision in takin a gap yr lol! im goin to try get a lot more work experience n think of somethin else to do for an entire yr but itl b worth it if i get in next yr! wot r u goin to do for ur gap yr?

yes i hav jus done my ukcat last wed! i wasnt so happy wi only averagin 625 but i nu verbal reasonin wud b mydownfall n it was BUT it was def easier n on the real thing with shorter passages! i actually had loads of time to spare on the abstract and the decision analysis. wen is ur ukcat?

im sooo glad somebody else is in the same boat as me with takin a gap yr :yep:
Shuijing
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shahrukh24)
you get it straight away
:eek: Oh right.

Well that's good I guess. There's no horrible wait like A/AS levels. :yep:
bnasir
Report 10 years ago
can someone tell me is the minimum score u can get is 1200? even if u get all questions wrong? lol doesnt make sense, 300 in each skill...

and other question is that in the short test there were questions in decision analysis on coding the sentences that were uncoded already , is it gonna be in actual exam as well? and there were other questions about choosing the best two words from the sentences in decision analysis, can that be in actuall exam too? cause i didnt see any of such questions in ukcat books....
-42-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is the minimum yes, but getting 300 in each skill makes as much sense as getting any other number as there are no units really! It's all relative.

To answer your other question both times I've done the test maybe about 15-20% of the questions were coding proper sentances into the most appropriate code, I got 2 questions also in the real test this time round about choosing the most appropriate words too. To be honest even though I wasn't expecting this it didn't put me off too much, it's still using the same Decision Analysis Skills that you've been using in the rest of the section so don't worry about it too much!

Cheers,

--Dave
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Just done Quantitative Reasoning Practice. I need to speed up a lot.

Can someone please check I'm reading the attached graph right and perhaps explain it to me, kind UKCATers?

So that'd mean London is 203 miles from Manchester, 115 miles away from Norwich, 131 miles from Nottingham etc. Right?

And then is Norwich 185 miles from Manchester? And Manchester 140 miles from Oxford?

:confused:
Attached files
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)

Can someone please check I'm reading the attached graph right and perhaps explain it to me, kind UKCATers?

So that'd mean London is 203 miles from Manchester, 115 miles away from Norwich, 131 miles from Nottingham etc. Right?

And then is Norwich 185 miles from Manchester? And Manchester 140 miles from Oxford?

yea
ben_stretch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much time did people spend working for their tests?! With people rescheduling having done no work for it when their test is in a week? Yeah sure you can learn some strategies, but the point is that they are testing your aptitude, did anyone actually feel they did better by spending so much time working for it? I personally spent a night doing the practice test and I didn't find it that useful anyway.
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)

Yup. You're freaking out a bit, aren't you... try to relax and trust your intuition!

Edit: QR is impossible to finish anyway, but that won't prevent you from getting a good score.

(Original post by ben_stretch)
I personally spent a night doing the practice test and I didn't find it that useful anyway.
I did the same, but found it incredibly useful...
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
when you download the practice test off the UKCAT website, how do u get ur results off it? or do you have to mark down which option you use? also, where are all the other tests? i clicked the "regualr timing" option and all it gives me is the verbal reasoning none of the other subtests.... help me sum one ! lol ... im useless
ben_stretch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well you did better than me! I got 710 average, I suppose it was very useful in the fact that I knew what the timing was and could therefore finish in time! But the questions couldn't have been prepared for, especially in AR where I hadn't seen anything like those in practice.
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ben_stretch)
Well you did better than me! I got 710 average, I suppose it was very useful in the fact that I knew what the timing was and could therefore finish in time! But the questions couldn't have been prepared for, especially in AR where I hadn't seen anything like those in practice.
I went through the answer scheme for the AR bit after I'd finished (I think the short version of the test had justification for all the answers), so got a feel for what kind of things they were looking for.

That helped me loads in the test, as I had a better idea of the likely reasons for each group of shapes being together. Still ended up being my weakest section, though.

(Original post by badger stripes)
when you download the practice test off the UKCAT website, how do u get ur results off it? or do you have to mark down which option you use? also, where are all the other tests? i clicked the "regualr timing" option and all it gives me is the verbal reasoning none of the other subtests.... help me sum one ! lol ... im useless
The results are compared to a 'normal' sample, so you can't mark it because a certain % of correct answers doesn't directly give you a score / 900.

In the practice test, you've got to complete the section (go to the screen past the review screen) before the time is up, otherwise the thing automatically closes. It's just bad programming, and won't happen in the real test, but it's really annoying.
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
I went through the answer scheme for the AR bit after I'd finished (I think the short version of the test had justification for all the answers), so got a feel for what kind of things they were looking for.

That helped me loads in the test, as I had a better idea of the likely reasons for each group of shapes being together. Still ended up being my weakest section, though.

The results are compared to a 'normal' sample, so you can't mark it because a certain % of correct answers doesn't directly give you a score / 900.

In the practice test, you've got to complete the section (go to the screen past the review screen) before the time is up, otherwise the thing automatically closes. It's just bad programming, and won't happen in the real test, but it's really annoying.
alreet thanx for the help
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just as I'm beginning to crack AR, I discover my VR is appaling and my QR way too slow. I'm quite pissed off :p:

In the UKCAT book, I got 6/30 in VR. A trained chimp should get 10/30. I'm really scared about that bit now.

QR took me 40 mins when it should take 17. On the plus side I got 25/30 though.

Test on Tuesday eek. Anybody got any tips for VR? And for speeding up QR?
mmmspam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
Just as I'm beginning to crack AR, I discover my VR is appaling and my QR way too slow. I'm quite pissed off :p:

In the UKCAT book, I got 6/30 in VR. A trained chimp should get 10/30. I'm really scared about that bit now.

QR took me 40 mins when it should take 17. On the plus side I got 25/30 though.

Test on Tuesday eek. Anybody got any tips for VR? And for speeding up QR?

OK, firstly, don't worry about your VR UKCAT book score - I was getting about that when I did them (the day before my test! and my results were even more sub-human than yours!!), and ended up getting 790 (:yep:) in the VR section in the real test.

My only advice for that (and it may well vary from person to person) is to read the question first, then speed read the text until you find the relevant bit before reading that bit more closely.

I thought the QR was quite a lot easier in the real test than in the practice tests on the web / in the book. But as is the case with all subtests, I would recommend leaving 30 seconds at the end of each section to guess the remaining questions. This really helped me - av. of over 750!!! :eek: :woo:

Good luck for Tuesday!
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Got a week to prepare now getting ready to panic and be scared
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
does anyone think that UKCAT will take out another section this year like last year??? personally, i hope they keep all 4 sections this time. what do you guys think?
The Toffy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by magichearts)
does anyone think that UKCAT will take out another section this year like last year??? personally, i hope they keep all 4 sections this time. what do you guys think?
i hope they take out AR :woo:
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if they had to take a section out i really hope they would take out VR. that was a TERRIBLE section for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise