Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how did that even make it up to bbc news...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    I've already seen and ranted about it

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post35917223
    What's interesting in that someone clever enough to get an interview for Oxford is apparently not clever enough to figure out Facebook's privacy settings....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Oooh! How was it? What was it like? And why were you viewing a post mortem?
    In second year here we get scheduled a post mortem placement. Mine was really good. Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    My box set of 'Bodies' Series 1 & 2 arrived in the post this morning.

It was a BBC3 program worth watching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    It was.... weird.

On a youngish guy who'd hung himself - possibly due to a brain tumour that probably could have been removed had he seeked help :sad:
    Blimey.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Passed my mid-sessional exam, YAY Now just to decide on a BSc

ReputationRep:
    I have to make a 10 minute presentation on current/future treatments of malaria on the 15h and I haven't started yet? Is this seriously bad or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    I've already seen and ranted about it

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post35917223
    As I said on that thread - what is it about Magdalen that makes people go all media-frenzied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    Passed my mid-sessional exam, YAY Now just to decide on a BSc
    I think i'm applying for surgical sciences at king's. but there's more competition as an external, let's see if i'm lucky!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I think i'm applying for surgical sciences at king's. but there's more competition as an external, let's see if i'm lucky!
    It looks like a really good course! I was tempted to go for it, but then I saw that they give preference to students who are in third year or above, which makes sense I guess. Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    It looks like a really good course! I was tempted to go for it, but then I saw that they give preference to students who are in third year or above, which makes sense I guess. Good luck with your application!
    Oh really, that's good then . But from what I gather selection is purely on academic merit, so it's going to be tough. yep, you too!

ReputationRep:
    I have also applied to King's. Not for surgical sciences though (I'd rather quit medicine).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I have also applied to King's. Not for surgical sciences though (I'd rather quit medicine).
    What you gone for?

Actually, wait i'm guessing pharmacology?

ReputationRep:
    What you gone for?

Actually, wait i'm guessing pharmacology?
    Pharmacology indeed :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    I have to make a 10 minute presentation on current/future treatments of malaria on the 15h and I haven't started yet? Is this seriously bad or not?
    15th of feb? plenty of time!

Not sure if you can talk about prevention, but if so the new vaccine GSK are putting out is pretty exciting stuff.

On a totally different note, I just stumbled upon this; it's pretty flipping cool:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone has a subscription to topics in current chemistry?? If they do, issue 305 is a special issue on prions I need the whole thing if anyone is kind enough to do PDF...Please College has it in hard copy - sods law, the issue is missing, and we're too poor to have a subscription...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Exactly. Many people in this position simply don't know the level to pitch to medical students.

I think that entirely depends where you go. And you'll get some grounding in that if you intercalate, also.

PBL makes an attempt at moulding students into thinking. It doesn't always do it well but with a good facilitator, a nicely constructed case and a decent group of students, it really can.

I really wish you'd stop the whole "students teaching students" malarkey. That's not what PBL is and demonstrates a fundamental misconception. In PBL the idea isn't to be strictly taught everything by your fellows. It does give you the opportunity to ask questions and get things clarified, but nobody in PBL should be teaching you an entire topic. You're supposed to be comfortable with the topic at hand before you walk through the doors to the PBL room (let's face it, there isn't much in medicine that's so conceptually challenging that this is infeasible).
    I have to explain PBL next week to 6th form students, what am I going to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Malaria is quite interesting - theres some new drugs out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I have to explain PBL next week to 6th form students, what am I going to say?
    It is a trap don't do it?

I was asked to do a PBL thing. I declined

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Does anyone has a subscription to topics in current chemistry?? If they do, issue 305 is a special issue on prions I need the whole thing if anyone is kind enough to do PDF...Please College has it in hard copy - sods law, the issue is missing, and we're too poor to have a subscription...
    Tried with VPN, no luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.