Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I'm not sure I can do this. I haven't done any reading for lectures or my essay and all I want to do is curl up in bed. I don't think i'm cut out for uni, I just can't buckle down on the work. I have an assignment due in this week- today maybe- and i've done like no work towards it. It took me hours to read just one chapter and even then the words meant nothing! I should just give up now and save myself the stress of failure later. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can do it! And if the workload does ever seem impossible, talk to someone. Everyone at uni wants you to succeed, and there's a lot of help available if you ask for it. I know how hard it can be, but you need to remember that it's not impossible. Concentrate on small goals, break everything down into manageable chunks, and then nom the hell out of them!

(Original post by depeche mode)
    Hey everyone

I hope everyone is ok. I am looking for a bit of advice about my psychiatrist. Last session I had with him descended into me shouting at him asking him why he wasn't helping me and him gave rude replies, e.g. "I do know about Chinese philosophy" "I am an expert" "How long have you been irritable for?". I was admitted in hospital at the weekend and I was very poorly with an infection and they said this may have made me irritable. I emailed my shrink yesterday to let him know what had happened to me and I apologised. The thing which is annoying me is that I haven't received a reply. No, OK I hope you get well soon, or a Thanks for letting me know. Nothing. I've had no acknowledgement and I've seriously had enough of him and most of my time is spent crying because of him and things he has said but seeing him once every other week is all the help I get from uni.

I really don't want to see him. In fact I'm quite frightened but I would appreciate someone else's thoughts about whether they would expect an email back.
    To be honest it just sounds like you two really don't get on, and if one or both of you can't put that aside then it's probably best to be seeing someone else. The problem with that is that you'll probably just be put on a waiting list to see another psych (which could take a few months). I had a psychiatrist I didn't get on with and whose views on my problems I strongly disagreed with, so I demanded to see someone else - took three months for the referral to go through, but I did get to see someone better eventually.

What kind of mental health problems do you have? Would you be in danger if you went without seeing a psych for a while?

(Original post by james1211)
    Hey guys, just thought i'd check in and say i'm still around and managing OK at the minute. I hope all you guys are still crusading on.
    Good to hear! :five: I'm doing ok too - small things can still set off massive floods of tears, but on the whole I'm feeling positive.

(Original post by los lobos marinos)
    Yay - mental health team coming for home visit this afternoon. They are listening to what I'm saying (I hope). I contacted them to stop me maybe needing Crisis intervention in a couple of weeks time as been sliding downhill too quickly. I'm hoping that if they do what I ask them to do, I can regain some semblance of control.

Added benefit means I can post on this thread again without being concerned I might breach TSR rules. (I stopped myself from posting a few times).
    Well done on taking the initiative to catch things early, :yy: I hope things start getting better soon.

(Original post by rmhumphries)
    Pretty bad day all in all.

Only slightly related, but I seem to be missing that element that most people have, which tells them when to do things for themselves and when to do things for others. I have no confidence in what I do, which leads to some people saying I am too selfless, other people most likely thinking I am selfish - and I myself having no clear idea about where I fall, what I should be doing more of.
    :hugs: Could you work out maybe a logical system of when you should do things for others, and when for yourself? It's not good to do 100% one or the other, so working out a balance would seem to be the best idea.

And for the record I don't think you're selfish in the slightest - you've helped me a bazillion times at your own expense, and I seriously appreciate that. :lovehug:

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Got back from EIS. I have a mental health act assessment tomorrow
    :hugs: I hope it went/goes ok.

(Original post by asdfgah)
    Met up with my main supervisor and had a bit of an "argh ptsd I cant do any of this" at her. She was really nice and said she'd tell me which people in the department were definitely OK and not intimidating, and that she'd introduce me to anyone, so that's good especially if I decide I want to have a male supervisor, because it will be scary the first time I meet them. She suggested that I come back next week and we can talk more about it and arrange who she's going to introduce me to. Feeling a bit calmer about the whole thing.
    Glad you're feeling calmer, and it sounds like together you're working out some good practical solutions to your problems. I bet that overall you make an awesome student, and I'm not surprised that people want to help you.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Feeling really useless. I tried playing my bass yesterday and got so frustrated that I couldn't get a certain part of a song right, I think I might actually sell it because I'm crap, I've hardly progressed at all in the several years I've been playing.

So there's that, then there's the fact I haven't got a job. I finished my masters in August, it's now mid-October and I've applied for exactly zero jobs. I'm pretty sure no one would hire me even if I applied, I mean who's going to hire some loser with a bunch of self-harm marks and who hears voices? I'm overweight, I'm ugly and my concentration level and social skills are appalling. But my wife keeps complaining about money, definitely gonna have to go into our savings this year. I want to get a job but I'm scared. I'm scared of rejection but also of acceptance. How's it gonna look if I do get a job and can't handle it? I mean I couldn't even handle volunteering, that was meant to be the first step and I quit after just a few times. I'm such a pathetic loser.
    Ode to Sabertooth

Sabertooth is fearless
    Sabertooth is brave
    Sabertooth is stronger
    Than a bear living in a cave. (rawr)

Sabertooth's totally awesome
    Sabertooth ****ing rocks
    Sabertooth's filled with genius
    From his head down to his socks.

Sabertooth's one in a million
    Sabertooth is truly unique
    I'd pick Saber over anyone
    Any damn day of the week.

(Original post by rmhumphries)
    Don't be too hard on yourself, I graduated in July, and not only don't have a job, I haven't even had an interview. I only started applying for jobs in the last month or so. You should upload your CV to a job search site, and let agencies call you - I have done this and it is much easier having people contact you saying you might be suitable for this job. Take it one step at a time - I have the same fears as you do, however I know I need a job, so I am trying to push myself, and hope I manage. I have faith in you to manage if you do get a job/

Also, I am about 4/5 pounds off becoming overweight due to Quetiapine

(P.s. Sorry - I know I have actually moaned more than posted helpful stuff to you!)

Edit: I agree with los lobos marinos as well, he expressed things much better than I did!
    :hugs: Don't let things get you down. You know you're awesome and those dumbass employers will realise that at some point. :yep: As for the weight thing, I agree that exercise is the way to go. Might also help with mood/motivation as a bonus.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    The job site idea might be good but aren't they usually quite long-term jobs? We've moving next July for definite so I'm not sure how suitable that would be. There's a bunch of fast food places looking for people here which I think I could do with my mcdonald's experience. But really I want to go to the police station and ask if they have any openings (not to be an officer obviously) but I'm too scared of being rejected If I don't ask I won't get rejected

Oh yeah, quetiapine munchies. :console: You could try joining a gym? If you struggle to afford it, I know the NHS sometimes gives out free gym memberships so you could try that? There's also the free couch to 5k program which you can download to an mp3 player and gradually up your fitness until you can run 5k I lost a few pounds doing that. You could also ask Superwolf to stop making so many delicious muffins I asked my psychiatrist for metformin as I wasn't losing weight on antipsychotics and so far I've lost 10lbs despite starting risperidone. So that might be an idea?
    Neverrrrrrrr! I'm making cider crumble slices today. :drool:

(Original post by Maddie567)
    Went to my GP, burst out crying before I even say down. I've been prescribe Setraline and referred for counselling. Feel so relieved now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done, that's awesome.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ode to Saber - love it, Wolfie!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a catch 22.
    If I don't take my medicine my BP shoots up and I become prone to anxiety attacks and palpitations due to 'anxiety', but if I don't my BP goes low and I feel somewhat dizzy and weird
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
    I'm in a bit of a catch 22.
    If I don't take my medicine my BP shoots up and I become prone to anxiety attacks and palpitations due to 'anxiety', but if I don't my BP goes low and I feel somewhat dizzy and weird
    Hmmm. That is a tough one.
    Still early days on your meds or have you had them for a while?
    I'd keep taking them if you're only feeling a little dizzy, especially if you've just started them recently. To me that sounds like the nicer option and probably the one with a better chance of sorting itself out with a bit of time. :yes:
    May be something you'd like to mention to your doc at some point though just to see if they can fiddle with things a bit so you don't get so dizzy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by superwolf)
    You can do it! And if the workload does ever seem impossible, talk to someone. Everyone at uni wants you to succeed, and there's a lot of help available if you ask for it. I know how hard it can be, but you need to remember that it's not impossible. Concentrate on small goals, break everything down into manageable chunks, and then nom the hell out of them!
    Haha thanks :P i'm feeling a bit more confident now so i'll see how it goes.

Love the poem for Saber! cider slices sound awesome! I wish I could "nom the hell out of" them too! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Iv still not eaten today :/
    Beginning to think i should get something but dont know what
    Its so much easier to just lie in bed and hide from the world!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    Iv still not eaten today :/
    Beginning to think i should get something but dont know what
    Its so much easier to just lie in bed and hide from the world!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Takeaway delivery? That's what I've done. I'm still in bed in my PJs Chinese is on it's way though :crazy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Takeaway delivery? That's what I've done. I'm still in bed in my PJs Chinese is on it's way though :crazy:
    I have £7 in my bank

Making toasties though hunger became overwhelming and feel sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have £7 in my bank

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ****, your bank balance is worse than mine (I checked it this morning and nearly died of shock and how much money I've spent this month ) :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, your bank balance is worse than mine (I checked it this morning and nearly died of shock and how much money I've spent this month ) :hugs:
    Thats £4 of a maxed out overdraft with no income :yep:
    Well now £2 cos i bought a bad of ebay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I lied the £7 is in my purse from birthday money

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have £7 in my bank

Posted from TSR Mobile
    im also pretty bad on the money front, a lot of my mates are buying this and that because they have jobs but im stuck on ESA atm because im a mess. i want to be looking for work again soon.

make sure you don't starve yourself :hugs: you can still get a lot of food with £7 if you go to the right places.

wasn't it that u can't get work or apply for jobseekrrs atm, because you have a lot to deal with and they're *******s? :console:
    -

Edit: i also near starve myself sometimes just because i feel so dire, and just lie in bed practically comatose for a whole day. so you ain't the only one :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaty_man)
    im also pretty bad on the money front, a lot of my mates are buying this and that because they have jobs but im stuck on ESA atm because im a mess. i want to be looking for work again soon.

make sure you don't starve yourself :hugs: you can still get a lot of food with £7 if you go to the right places.

wasn't it that u can't get work or apply for jobseekrrs atm, because you have a lot to deal with and they're *******s? :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Iv applied for JSA online but not heard back about my jsa interview yet so im skint such hard work living atm if im honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)

Good to hear! :five: I'm doing ok too - small things can still set off massive floods of tears, but on the whole I'm feeling positive.
    Glad you're managing it superwolf massive floods of tears are liberating!

ReputationRep:
    Feel like **** and just had a massive row with my boyfriend. Can't cope anymore :cry2:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I feel **** anyway. He was winding me up as a "joke' and I kept asking him to stop it, but because I was smiling/laughing he didn't think I was serious and it ended up with me falling and hitting my head really hard. Now I feel dizzy and sick, and we've had a massive argument over it. I was obviously really pissed off about it and screamed at him "You always take things to far, why the uck did you do that this is all your fault" and I'm apparently a melodramatic drama queen (which hurts, because I always have that fear that people will see me like that for having bipolar). Feel like self harming again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Feel like **** and just had a massive row with my boyfriend. Can't cope anymore :cry2:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I feel **** anyway. He was winding me up as a "joke' and I kept asking him to stop it, but because I was smiling/laughing he didn't think I was serious and it ended up with me falling and hitting my head really hard. Now I feel dizzy and sick, and we've had a massive argument over it. I was obviously really pissed off about it and screamed at him "You always take things to far, why the uck did you do that this is all your fault" and I'm apparently a melodramatic drama queen (which hurts, because I always have that fear that people will see me like that for having bipolar). Feel like self harming again
    Don't do that!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't have fights often, but making up from them is what I remember best so maybe look forward to doing that? And the part in bold, well what guy hasn't thought that about most girls ever before? Just apologize to him, I'm sure he will forget about it as long as he knows you aren't mad at him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Don't do that!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't have fights often, but making up from them is what I remember best so maybe look forward to doing that? And the part in bold, well what guy hasn't thought that about most girls ever before? Just apologize to him, I'm sure he will forget about it as long as he knows you aren't mad at him!
    Thanks

Spoiler:
    Show
    It will be alright but I always get upset when we fight. I have the flu for the second time in a month, feel pretty depressed, and then this happens and it just makes me feel ****. It will be fine but I just feel rubbish when it happens

Thanks

Spoiler:
    Show
    It will be alright but I always get upset when we fight. I have the flu for the second time in a month, feel pretty depressed, and then this happens and it just makes me feel ****. It will be fine but I just feel rubbish when it happens
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Second time in a month? I haven't had it in years! That must suck so yea, understandable you feel rubbish! You doing something you enjoy? When I do get sick, I let myself stay in bed pretty much all day because I love that. If you feel rubbish allow yourself to do something you normally wouldn't Hope you get better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Second time in a month? I haven't had it in years! That must suck so yea, understandable you feel rubbish! You doing something you enjoy? When I do get sick, I let myself stay in bed pretty much all day because I love that. If you feel rubbish allow yourself to do something you normally wouldn't Hope you get better soon!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've figured out I accidentally wasn't eating enough, and I think it's ****ed up my immune system. I'm also reall worried about uni because I've had to miss today. So I'm stressed and ill and then I overreacted and now I feel like an idiot My boyfriend is fine about it, he said "I know it's not your fault and you don't mean anything by it" but now I hate myself for being such an ass to him

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've figured out I accidentally wasn't eating enough, and I think it's ****ed up my immune system. I'm also reall worried about uni because I've had to miss today. So I'm stressed and ill and then I overreacted and now I feel like an idiot My boyfriend is fine about it, he said "I know it's not your fault and you don't mean anything by it" but now I hate myself for being such an ass to him
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hey come on, nobody's perfect, and overreacting sometimes really isn't that bad a thing. plus he knows about it and you apologized. no reason to hate yourself for that! But uni surely only started recently term, just ask friends about what you missed, one day isn't that bad I think.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.