Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    There's no such thing as good imperialism. Hard to categorize which Empire was worse. If we're going by barbarity than the Belgians and Portuguese were probably the worst if the historical accounts of how they treated their subjects are anything to go by. If we measure it by deaths from imperialism (which includes unintentional deaths) than the Spanish and British were not too far apart.
    Agreed Tom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Now Di Marzio (very reliable) is reporting our interest in Sanchez. So its quite genuine.

ReputationRep:
    Barca aren't in for Suarez, and don't have the cash to meet his release clause, which is upwards of 65m and its implied that it's 80m+.

Madrid do, but they've got a CL winning attack already and don't need another ball hog there. Plus he isn't a static 9 like they need, and their statement signing can easily come in the form of Pogba. If Madrid didn't buy him last summer when a much lower fee would have done, and they needed a striker after Higuain's departure, then there's much less of a chance it'll be this summer.

Get your dreams of Suarez leaving out of your head.

Also, Di Marzio isn't reliable at all. He says 10 things, two come true and the rest don't, then says 'I called it'. He's ****e. Another Balague.

ReputationRep:
    Also will lol my brains out if we buy Sanchez and you don't, given this reported interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New Workout Plan)
    Barca aren't in for Suarez, and don't have the cash to meet his release clause, which is upwards of 65m and its implied that it's 80m+.

Madrid do, but they've got a CL winning attack already and don't need another ball hog there. Plus he isn't a static 9 like they need, and their statement signing can easily come in the form of Pogba. If Madrid didn't buy him last summer when a much lower fee would have done, and they needed a striker after Higuain's departure, then there's much less of a chance it'll be this summer.

Get your dreams of Suarez leaving out of your head.

Also, Di Marzio isn't reliable at all. He says 10 things, two come true and the rest don't, then says 'I called it'. He's ****e. Another Balague.
    Everytime he comes on tv I register his name in my head as "Ballbag", he looks more of a "Ballbag" than a "Balague".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    Everytime he comes on tv I register his name in my head as "Ballbag", he looks more of a "Ballbag" than a "Balague".
    lmao Liverpool fans have been calling him ballbag since years ago.

One year he told us that a move for Albert Riera was just a smokescreen for a move for David Silva... a week later Riera is signed and Silva moves to City a year or two later.

Hasn't got a ****ing clue. He's apparently good mates with Rafa and he's taken a liking to Liverpool so I don't want to hate on him too much but he honestly knows **** all.

ReputationRep:
    lmao Liverpool fans have been calling him ballbag since years ago.

One year he told us that a move for Albert Riera was just a smokescreen for a move for David Silva... a week later Riera is signed and Silva moves to City a year or two later.

Hasn't got a ****ing clue. He's apparently good mates with Rafa and he's taken a liking to Liverpool so I don't want to hate on him too much but he honestly knows **** all.
    The only reason he is only tv is he speaks with an accent and in overexcited schoolgirl tones. Us Brits tend to simultaneously take the opinions of 'expert' foreigners as gospel and look upon them with a kind of disdain.
    I.e. He is the Hello! magazine of the footballing world.

ReputationRep:
    Sanchez at Arsenal would be :sogood:. Personally I can't see Wenger going in for Balotelli and Sanchez. I just can't see it.

ReputationRep:
    r mandem trynna gas me about this sanchez news

dont gas me cuh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    Being reported that Wenger met with Alexis' agent and offers from Liverpool and Arsenal are on the table atm. If its between Arsenal and Liverpool no doubt Sanchez would choose us. Its not even a competition tbh. We completely blow Liverpool out of the water. Hopefully the player himself wants to leave.

https://twitter.com/partidodelas12/s...98300360880128
    That's quite a big statement to make.

I don't think there would be too much to choose between the two clubs, but for you to "completely blow us out of the water" is hilarity at it's finest.

You may have more of a pull due to your stable, consistent top 4 placings.
    Or we may have more of a pull due to our higher finish and more exciting football/evolving squad.

ReputationRep:
    Where would Sanchez play firstly? On the left wing.

If Sanchez is supposedly at his best in a free role around the centre like for Chile then he's going to be occupying Ozil's space.

He's better than whoever you have on left wing I guess and works hard for the team though. It makes more sense for him to go to Liverpool personally, with or without Suarez as they variate their tactics, you'll see Sanchez getting the free role he likes in the diamond and he'll help out wide when they play 4-3-3. Liverpool will get the most out of him compared to Arsenal.

This is assuming that he'll go, which I don't think that he will.

ReputationRep:
    Also you aren't going to be playing him up front.

Giroud was important last season for his hold up play and his flicks, you're going to lose a lot of height and physicality in the team if you play Sanchez up front, meaning that you'll have to rely solely on controlling possession of the ball.

Don't think Sanchez is the right man for Arsenal, but is an improvement on what you have. I see an Ozil situation happening. Him going ham for a month or two and being really poor until the end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal have made £20M without selling any of the existing squad. That's very decent business. £20M is a substantial amount, that's at least half or more the transfer fee of a top player

ReputationRep:
    We are not signing Sanchez anyway or anyone of any significance. Wenger will use Joel Campbell as an excuse not to sign a striker and will make Jenkinson a starter. If Vermaelen leaves then expect Squillaci 2.0 as a replacement. We are not signing a defensive midfielder either and Arteta WILL be a starter next season so just get used to that snail.

In Arsene we trust. :adore:

ReputationRep:
    You can play with more than one free man though. That's what makes chile so great. Pretty much all their front 3 player have the free role and just go about at invoking mayhem :dice:

Anyways Valdivia's the closest to Ozil in the Chile team. Santi who's our best left winger roams about as much as anyone when we have the ball so I can see him doing a job their on the wing. Sanchez's issue with Barca isn't so much position but tactics (I think) as even when he's in the centre for Chile, he roams to the right wing a lot and also drops a fair bit. But I can't deny that he certainly prefers and performs much better when starting off in the centre probably because he doesn't have much defensive responsibilities when he plays there which might be a problem if he plays on the wing.

Anyways this is pure gossip on the back of Wenger not commentating to meet with an agent.

ReputationRep:
    Santi hasn't even been good this season though. He's there because Podolski isn't good enough to start and Chamberlain was injured for half the season.

He's the best left winger because he's the guy who's had the biggest run of games this season on the left wing, Podolski was injured and then benched after Cazorla came back from injury.

Ozil tends to drift to the left wing and the fluidity would work better, you'll also have somebody who can make runs behind the defence other than Walcott and Chamberlain to an extent. Sanchez works best in the centre as a free role and has shown he can do a good job on the right, haven't seen him enough on the left though to make a comment on how he'd do there.

I just don't see that working as well as people think but definitely an improvement on what you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Arsenal have made £20M without selling any of the existing squad. That's very decent business. £20M is a substantial amount, that's at least half or more the transfer fee of a top player
    All good and well, but we will spend it and on who and when?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vela has signed a new deal with Sociedad and they have apparently come to an agreement with us to remove the release clause. Hope this means we are in for Griezmann

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    That's quite a big statement to make.

I don't think there would be too much to choose between the two clubs, but for you to "completely blow us out of the water" is hilarity at it's finest.

You may have more of a pull due to your stable, consistent top 4 placings.
    Or we may have more of a pull due to our higher finish and more exciting football/evolving squad.
    I think a big pull and factor is Wenger as well. He will speak to Sanchez in Spanish and lure him here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He is actually quite reliable. One of the most reliable Italian journalists. He doesn't comment on things he has no information on unlike Balague hence why he's said nothing on the Balotelli situation whilst most other media outlets are going crazy trying to sell that story. He has got most things right before anyone else (Vela, Fabregas, Benitez, Rakitic, Higuain, Tevez, etc.).

Not sure what's not so believable. All he said is that Wenger met up with his representatives and is interested in him. Doesn't mean we will get him or make a bid. This means absolutely nothing if Alexis himself wants to stay.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.