Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    Indeed they are, and some of the questions are usually taken from the IMO shortlist. Although the other two international competitions that I mentioned should be slightly easier than IMO, not that that makes them any easier though.
    I've looked at the Balkan and Romanian masters as I normally check the bmo site regularly. They are indeed very hard haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I've looked at the Balkan and Romanian masters as I normally check the bmo site regularly. They are indeed very hard haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, I also check it regularly, which reminds me that the IMO team will come out today. I managed to solve question 2 of this year's balkan, and then solved q1 with a bit of help from one of the guys who got 20 Have you tried q1 of the RMM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    50% of Cambridge applicants fail to meet the STEP requirement. And these are people already with v high Maths UMS. So how hard is it? Answer: very.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This just makes the idea of taking STEP next year to be even more daunting

ReputationRep:
    Imperial generally give grade 2 offers in either II/III but sometimes they do give grade 1 offers but they generally lent in people with grade 2s/3s and Warwick is a solid 2 in I/II/III (obviously most take I as it's easier then the others).
    So basically everyone else asks for 2.
    Bear in mind quite a fair amount of people have SS and S1 offers from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Worth noting also that getting 'at least a 2 in any STEP paper' is like an order of magnitude easier than 'get no less than a 1 in II and III'.

Particularly as boundaries are typically moved so that the 'correct' number of students achieve their offers for Cam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I also check it regularly, which reminds me that the IMO team will come out today. I managed to solve question 2 of this year's balkan, and then solved q1 with a bit of help from one of the guys who got 20 Have you tried q1 of the RMM?
    I managed one of the questions from last years one. But I didn't try this years. I'll give it a try today. Note: 'try' is the keyword here lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the IMO team already picked a fair while back? I know someone who goes to the school of need nanda. Kid in yr 11 who's a reserve on IMO team. Ridiculous as he was reserve last year when he was in year 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I managed one of the questions from last years one. But I didn't try this years. I'll give it a try today. Note: 'try' is the keyword here lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't the IMO team already picked a fair while back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    q1 of this year's RMM was pretty easy tbh, not much maths involved in that. You should definitely be able to solve it.

Th IMO squad was picked after Trinity camp (the list on the website), and then today's the final day of the Tonbridge camp where they select the final team of 6, and reserves.

ReputationRep:
    q1 of this year's RMM was pretty easy tbh, not much maths involved in that. You should definitely be able to solve it.

Th IMO squad was picked after Trinity camp (the list on the website), and then today's the final day of the Tonbridge camp where they select the final team of 6, and reserves.
    I'll give it a try this is the co prime one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll give it a try this is the co prime one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually looking at doing Comp Sci with Maths, so I get to take the STEP too :P This should be safe though - while I'd like to do it, apparently if I don't then some colleges (at the very least, the one I'm probably going to apply to) will let you do Comp Sci normally if you don't pass it anyway. I kind of want to sit a STEP just for the sake of it so I don't mind...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else do AQA chemistry? I'm rolling through the unit 2 past papers but getting really depressed at them. They have stupid (99/100) 100% UMS boundaries with no hope of ever getting full marks because of silly errors and impossible mark schemes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    Why would you plan on missing a grade?
    lol I'm joking,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anti-Dirac)
    Anyone else do AQA chemistry? I'm rolling through the unit 2 past papers but getting really depressed at them. They have stupid (99/100) 100% UMS boundaries with no hope of ever getting full marks because of silly errors and impossible mark schemes
    I do, the grade boundaries are stupidly high because there's no application and it's all just remembering what to write

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll get that SS whilst missing your grade in Physics anyway

(Original post by enaayrah)
    I think the other place may cut me some slack if I do apply though :erm:
    What do you mean? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurav11)
    Oxford don't crack down on your UMS grades like Cambridge does.

ReputationRep:
    They never even find out ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What colleges do you think you guys are going to apply to???

ReputationRep:
    But if your UMS is good you can always put it in your personal statement or whatever when applying to that other place

(Original post by nurav11)

Nah we were talking about GCSEs. As well as coming from a low performing school, I had extenuating circumstances during my GCSEs.

(Original post by Number Nine)
    But if your UMS is good you can always put it in your personal statement or whatever when applying to that other place
    :lol: I probably wouldn't put that in my personal statement

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.