Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Faland)
    I hope this place still does laphroaig :beard:
    I would like to know why you quickly disappeared.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Faland)
    I hope this place still does laphroaig :beard:
    Welcome back Hope all is well

Why did you mysteriously disappear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    We're going to have a Cantabrigian king soon, don't you worry...
    Her Majesty will never die and the next king will be from St Andrews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Which Geneva Convention? There are four separate Geneva Conventions. Please don't lump them all together.

You seem to have a very strange expectation for non-western countries to abide by international law and standards while constantly saying that we should not.

If we leave the Geneva Conventions and start carrying out acts of terror, we have no legitimacy to complain about anyone else.

It seems to be a case of 'do as I say, not as I do'.

How will leaving any of the Geneva Conventions help?
    Whichever one regards flattening civilians as a war crime.

As much as the UK is in a slow relative decline, we have the 7th highest tax revenues in the world and a great air force, if we want to crush the likes of ISIS then let us substantially increase the size of our air force and drone capability and then flatten the major cities held by ISIS. Make it clear that their destruction is a goal we are prepared to achieve by any means (frankly i'd flatten Assad too).

Note that i'd much prefer a ground invasion and occupation with a credible plan to rebuild the country like Japan and Germany but you guys on the left barely have the resolve to maintain the current air strikes, let alone a meaningful occupation and rebuilding of the country. Hence the next best option is to crush them from the air with a massive intensification of strikes.

People are critical of such an approach but when you have the military capability to achieve it, it is effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

As much as the UK is in a slow relative decline, we have the 7th highest tax revenues in the world and a great air force, if we want to crush the likes of ISIS then let us substantially increase the size of our air force and drone capability and then flatten the major cities held by ISIS. Make it clear that their destruction is a goal we are prepared to achieve by any means (frankly i'd flatten Assad too).

Note that i'd much prefer a ground invasion and occupation with a credible plan to rebuild the country like Japan and Germany but you guys on the left barely have the resolve to maintain the current air strikes, let alone a meaningful occupation and rebuilding of the country. Hence the next best option is to crush them from the air with a massive intensification of strikes.

People are critical of such an approach but when you have the military capability to achieve it, it is effective.
    1.6bn Muslims. You wanna crush every last one of them and committ genocide? Cause if not, murdering a fraction of them is only going to provide the perfect ammunition for extremeists to radicalise others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    1.6bn Muslims. You wanna crush every last one of them and committ genocide? Cause if not, murdering a fraction of them is only going to provide the perfect ammunition for extremeists to radicalise others.
    Of course not. A few divided states are not a threat to our way of life, an ISIS state (the result that will occur once the west pulls out) is. That is only a threat if they are our economic and military equals, they are not.

I'm not sure some of you guys (especially on the left) see how events are going to unfold. Our current airstrikes will eventually end because too many people think the middle east is not the wests problem, ISIS (or whatever the future group calls itself) will take advantage of the fact that governments in the region are incapable of free and fair government and delivering prosperity, they will then spread like a plague. Said ISIS state will develop a functional economy and military based on resource production while at the same time sponsoring terrorist attacks around the world. Said terrorist attacks will be frequent and large enough that eventually the west loses patience and the likes of the French no longer believe that these attacks are just a few. A western power that loses patience is not a good thing... Muslims will see the result of a full on conflict as a war against Islam but they will lose with millions dead and displaced..

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, cheers Britain, take us out of the EU and then **** off. Great.*

ReputationRep:
    More state educated MP's in May's cabinet than any since Attlee.

ReputationRep:

Your justification for Iraq was Sadam's cruelty to civilians but now you are saying you want us to withdraw from a convention which prevents us committing war crimes on civilians?

We need common standards, that's the only way to keep any form of peace. If we don't abide by the Geneva Conventions then what right do we have to complain about anyone else not doing so?*

If you want a free for all where every country is free to wage war on one another and commit war crimes on each other's civilians then you have no right to complain if someone does it to us.

You on the right seem to be very fond of 'you practise, I'll preach'.

Me personally, I'd prefer a system where no country commits war crimes against civilians. But hey maybe that's just lefty, crazy idealism*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Active military (or at least a section of it) coup underway in Istanbul. What a week.

ReputationRep:
    Military coup taking place right now in Turkey, bloody hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Active military (or at least a section of it) coup underway in Istanbul. What a week.
    Heard of gunshots in and military plans over Ankara. I've never been to Turkey, and nor do I know any of my relatives living there, but I hope my Dede's family and everyone else is as safe from harm as possible.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Military coup in turkey?! I thought it was past all of this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Of small interest, the US has 50-90 nuclear weapons based in Turkey.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I suppose Cameron was right on Turkey, but for the wrong reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Military coup taking place right now in Turkey, bloody hell
    Holy ****!

Against the president i assume. Damned BBC focussing on Nice.

(Original post by Aph)
    Military coup in turkey?! I thought it was past all of this.
    The military have long enforced secular government on Turkey. Praise be to the military i say, Turkey in recent years has been moving increasingly towards another Islamist state.

Of small interest, the US has 50-90 nuclear weapons based in Turkey.
    Indeed. Those nice pacifist nations like Belgium, Netherlands and Germany also have them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Against the president i assume. Damned BBC focussing on Nice.
    Switch to Sky. They're focusing entirely on it atm.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone happens to know/hear whether or not coup is affect Kusadasi I'd be much obliged - got a family friend stuck over there on holiday
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Switch to Sky. They're focusing entirely on it atm.

RT too, that's what is on in the pub

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    If anyone happens to know/hear whether or not coup is affect Kusadasi I'd be much obliged - got a family friend stuck over there on holiday
    I expect it's pretty much just Ankara atm, and exit points to stop people leaving the country

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.