The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Catilina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Might also stop the players having to play on a, frankly, terrible pitch.
That´s just poor groundkeeping, the Allianz Arena usually has one of the best pitches in the Bundesliga even though 1860 Munich play there as well.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Catilina)
That´s just poor groundkeeping, the Allianz Arena usually has one of the best pitches in the Bundesliga even though 1860 Munich play there as well.
It's nothing to do with that. It's because there isn't enough sunlight getting to the grass due to the way the upper part of the stadium is designed.

I might be wrong but I think they installed UV lamps to try and combat this.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Straight up G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
It's nothing to do with that. It's because there isn't enough sunlight getting to the grass due to the way the upper part of the stadium is designed.

I might be wrong but I think they installed UV lamps to try and combat this.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Zlatan was still able to work his magic on it :moon:
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
When you say they - do you mean both Milan teams or just one of them? I thought neither team regularly sold out the San Siro?
Inter going it alone. Could be a smaller, more modern stadium with better corporate facilities. Inter's avg attendance last season was circa 50k, in what was a poor campaign. I think a 60k stadium would get filled regularly - feelgood factor from a new stadium, newer facilities etc etc.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
Inter going it alone. Could be a smaller, more modern stadium with better corporate facilities. Inter's avg attendance last season was circa 50k, in what was a poor campaign. I think a 60k stadium would get filled regularly - feelgood factor from a new stadium, newer facilities etc etc.
Hmm interesting. I'd still expect it to cost them 200-300mil to build a new stadium, if not more.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Hmm interesting. I'd still expect it to cost them 200-300mil to build a new stadium, if not more.
Yeah, but this is where the Chinese investment partner comes in to play. Inter have never been left wanting for money, and this can be written off wrt FFP.
Charzhino
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Speaking of Inter they won 3-0 away to Croation side Hadjuk Split in the Europa League Qualifying stage. Goals from Sneijder, Coutinho and Nagatomo. Really hoping to see Coutinho given a real chance at Inter this season under Stramacioni. He's been great in pre-season including this first competitive match.
aa22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
Surprisingly none of the big names have gone yet but saying that I read Lucho has become our captain possibly meaning Hulk will be leaving once the Olympics are over? I still think the decision to make Hulk our captain was based on just to keep him during the transfer window in January. Bored of the rumours, hurry up and get it over with. Same with Mou, if he's to go then go now. James rumours seems to have cooled down a bit though.

I think Carlos Martins has had a good enough pre-season to make JJs decision to keep him quite an easy one. The guy has come back great, it’ll be good for him if he can keep that going in the league. Bit like Iturbe, he’s had a few good games in pre-season, hopefully this season VP gives him a few more chances in the first team. Lucho just scored a nice goal against Valencia a few moments ago and whilst on the talk of pre-season goals, Enzo Perez's goal against Real Madrid, don't think he meant it but a beauty of a goal. I don't really take huge notice of pre-season friendlies but a couple of nice goals going in, Carlos Martins goal against Marseille was pretty decent too.

Has Pizzi actually signed for Depor or is he just there on loan? When I picked up Abola and read that they were signing him for €15m I hoped Abola were just being careless and missed the . between the 1 and the 5! Surely that can’t be right? It all seems to be very hush hush though surrounding the transfer but €15m?? Ha, Ruben Micael back in the Liga by going to Braga on loan... lets seem how he’ll do for them! Jackson seems to be our only main addition but still plenty of time for anything to happen. Think the transfer that has got me most excited is the return of Antunes to Pacos! His move to Roma never worked out for him, nothing good has come out of him since he left Portugal really, but he'll be back in a Pacos kit and having liked him the first time round at Pacos, it'll be good to see him again.
Yeh, definitely surprised there hasn't been a big transfer yet. Still time though... Mourinho has ominously said there will be a new midfielder, hopefully it ain't Witsel! And yeh, changing captains is quite drastic.. lets see what happens. The olympic football has probably slowed down a lot of the market.

Carlos Martins has been excellent. So pleased he is back to a high level.. loans to Spain have definitely helped a lot of our players. Here's hoping Nelson Oliveira and Roderick can come back with a bang next year as well. I was kinda disappointed to see Nelson go, but I have to admit that this year he has to be playing regularly, and Deportivo is an amazing opportunity.

In terms of Porto. Jackson scares me... I can see him becoming an absolute monster...

Pretty sure Pizzi is on loan. No idea where the 15m has come from... maybe its his release clause?

Don't know much about Antunes, but if he is any decent, Benfica should have gone for him... we still don't have a leftback and it is getting ridiculous now. I can't believe we're wasting Melgarejo there as well... he is so good attacking-wise, we could have easily spent the Salvio money on a proper leftback and then moved Melga up to take the winger spot that Salvio will now take. Salvio was awesome for us, but he was uneccessary at this point :/
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I understand Malaga are in big financial trouble
TheInvincibles14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
I understand Malaga are in big financial trouble
Selling all their star players to clear debt. Rondon gone to Rubin Kazan and Cazorla to Arsenal.
TheInvincibles14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't understand why Rondon went to Russia instead of Spurs. Was it a question of the £££££ on offer?
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got Real Madrid and Santos on now, the good thing about being in Canada is it's on at a resonable time.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
I got Real Madrid and Santos on now, the good thing about being in Canada is it's on at a resonable time.
When did this kick off?
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
When did this kick off?
it's just finished but it must have started around 4am British Time
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
I don't understand why Rondon went to Russia instead of Spurs. Was it a question of the £££££ on offer?
Most probably, yes - or perhaps it was Tottenham's failure to qualify for the Champions League?
boumavilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
Put it this way, ANY player that moves to play football in Russia goes there for the money!
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingMessi)
Most probably, yes - or perhaps it was Tottenham's failure to qualify for the Champions League?
Rubin aren't in the Champions League this season either, though. :nah:
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
Rubin aren't in the Champions League this season either, though. :nah:
Oh, okay. It's the cash, then.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Llorente has apparently rejected a new deal from Athletic and is now being linked with a move to Juve for circa €25m.

Bargain price.
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by aa22)
Yeh, definitely surprised there hasn't been a big transfer yet. Still time though... Mourinho has ominously said there will be a new midfielder, hopefully it ain't Witsel! And yeh, changing captains is quite drastic.. lets see what happens. The olympic football has probably slowed down a lot of the market.

Carlos Martins has been excellent. So pleased he is back to a high level.. loans to Spain have definitely helped a lot of our players. Here's hoping Nelson Oliveira and Roderick can come back with a bang next year as well. I was kinda disappointed to see Nelson go, but I have to admit that this year he has to be playing regularly, and Deportivo is an amazing opportunity.

In terms of Porto. Jackson scares me... I can see him becoming an absolute monster...

Pretty sure Pizzi is on loan. No idea where the 15m has come from... maybe its his release clause?

Don't know much about Antunes, but if he is any decent, Benfica should have gone for him... we still don't have a leftback and it is getting ridiculous now. I can't believe we're wasting Melgarejo there as well... he is so good attacking-wise, we could have easily spent the Salvio money on a proper leftback and then moved Melga up to take the winger spot that Salvio will now take. Salvio was awesome for us, but he was uneccessary at this point :/
I know, still a while for a lot to happen and I’m expecting a couple of our guys to leave within the last week of the transfer window. I still don’t think Witsel will be leaving just yet though, I think he has still got one more season in him at Benfica. It doesn’t bother me Hulk is no longer our captain, just making Lucho captain over him made me think that Hulk is definitely leaving. If anything I prefer seeing Lucho as our captain, just because it’s Luchooooooo!

I really like your away kit, much nicer than our disgusting purple one. Maybe the purple kit will grow on me the further into the season we go, but I really want the Benfica away kit. It’s a shame it’s got the eagle on it otherwise I’d be tempted to buy it. And whilst on talk of your eagle, I actually met Vitoria whilst I was in Portugal. You know you have a rubbish first name when you share it with the bloody Benfica eagle! :closedeyes:

If Nelson was to stay I don’t think he’d get many chances again so at least him going elsewhere will hopefully give him a few more starts or more than 20 minutes every so often. For the sake of needing a future Portuguese striker I hope it helps him. I’ll be interested to see how Andre Santos will do for Deportivo too.

Jackson isn’t the type of player we normally buy, in terms of age and expense. Hopefully though he’ll prove to be worth the €8m or whatever it was.

Antunes was alright, I mean when at Pacos the first time it got him a move to Roma, but nothing happened from it as he didn’t play. But yeah, I was surprised with the Salvio signing, you don’t need him. I know he did do a good job the first time round at Benfica but where the hell will he fit in the squad now? The LB problem just seems like it’ll continue to be a problem again this season as nothing seems to be getting done about it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.85%
No (700)
73.15%

Watched Threads