Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I have also applied to King's. Not for surgical sciences though (I'd rather quit medicine).
    idol :suith:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Does anyone has a subscription to topics in current chemistry?? If they do, issue 305 is a special issue on prions I need the whole thing if anyone is kind enough to do PDF...Please College has it in hard copy - sods law, the issue is missing, and we're too poor to have a subscription...
    what volume is it? have access to journal but not sure if can access electronically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Pharmacology indeed :yep:
    Knew it! Let me know how the application goes, I'm yet to send mine off. Need to get the reference and permission documents together first. Who knows, may even see you around in September! You applying anywhere else externally?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh - psych on call was such a drag. Saw 3 patients in the course of 10 hours and spent almost the entire day doing naff all. Not the career for me.

ReputationRep:
    Malaria is quite interesting - theres some new drugs out.
    Also the vaccine news.

I have to explain PBL next week to 6th form students, what am I going to say?
    Tell them to save themselves whilst they still can.

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Ugh - psych on call was such a drag. Saw 3 patients in the course of 10 hours and spent almost the entire day doing naff all. Not the career for me.
    Exactly why I disliked psych the most, I used to see like 3 patients a week. (Until I went to the ICU (or a similar sounding name) for a week where they had people under sections, try to get some time there if you can. I learnt more in that week than in my entire block).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Exactly why I disliked psych the most, I used to see like 3 patients a week. (Until I went to the ICU (or a similar sounding name) for a week where they had people under sections, try to get some time there if you can. I learnt more in that week than in my entire block).
    It's just all so damn long winded. Yeah we went on there briefly today, could be interesting to spend some time on there.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it could be immense if paired with a decent handheld console.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Sounds like it could be immense if paired with a decent handheld console.
    Oh if only I brought my 3DS. Mario Kart would have massively improved my life today.

ReputationRep:
    As if it's not enough sitting finals, trying to organise last minute elective details and ranking 584 jobs, all in a freezing cold house we can't afford to heat properly, today I got a summons for jury service. For in the middle of my elective. Cause I could really do with more stress in my life right now, grrrrrrrrr!

*and relax*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)
    As if it's not enough sitting finals, trying to organise last minute elective details and ranking 584 jobs, all in a freezing cold house we can't afford to heat properly, today I got a summons for jury service. For in the middle of my elective. Cause I could really do with more stress in my life right now, grrrrrrrrr!

*and relax*
    Does the ranking need to be done before finals? If so that sucks - I had the luxury of post finals-pre elective last minute ranking. Do you still get quite a gap between written an OSCE? Allocate some of it to your 'time off'..?

Revise in a warm library/JCR/MCR w/ headphones?

Jury service should be deferrable when you have pre-established travel plans - contact them & ask nicely... delegate letter writing/phonecalls to a supportive-non-medic-friend / family if possible!

GOOD LUCK! Keep focussed on the awesome-ness that will be Elective-SSMs-Preparing-for-Practice-last-summer-in-Oxford & graduating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Definitely. Think I might try and swing another 21st instead of facing up to 23 this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)

*and relax*
    Fairly sure the medical school can write you a letter to get out of jury service - someone in my year got out of it on the basis that it can go on for months on end and would interrupt their training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Does the ranking need to be done before finals? If so that sucks - I had the luxury of post finals-pre elective last minute ranking. Do you still get quite a gap between written an OSCE? Allocate some of it to your 'time off'..?

Revise in a warm library/JCR/MCR w/ headphones?

Jury service should be deferrable when you have pre-established travel plans - contact them & ask nicely... delegate letter writing/phonecalls to a supportive-non-medic-friend / family if possible!

GOOD LUCK! Keep focussed on the awesome-ness that will be Elective-SSMs-Preparing-for-Practice-last-summer-in-Oxford & graduating.
    Fairly sure the medical school can write you a letter to get out of jury service - someone in my year got out of it on the basis that it can go on for months on end and would interrupt their training.
    Thanks guys Aaaargh, stress! Will pull myself together but wanted a vent.

Yeah, I phoned them up and they were pretty sympathetic - suggested I asked for deferral until Jan 2013 and then let them know where I was living and exactly when I could make once I'd "properly settled into [my] new job", aw! Have sent off the letter asking for this and if am asked for proof will delegate this to my saintly Mum who has offered to sort it all. Just a charming letter to get in middle of chasing accommodation details/learning long lists of drug interactions/preventing next door's cat from eating my breakfast. Happy, in fact keen to do it but not right now!

Elles, sadly ranking due in day before final OSCE! Have set aside a day to do it all - have five days between MCQs and OSCE so that should be OK. Also set aside yesterday to do it but only managed 11. Still, the first ones are the most important I guess.

Thanks! Two and a half weeks til I'm sitting on a sunny Perth beach ...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Once again it is all a lie Fantastic.
    Haha,

Finally have a grasp of it.

The old model - intrinsic, extrinsic and common pathway, fails to explain why patients with prekallikrein and XII deficiencies have normal clotting and lack coagulopathies.

The new cell-based model of coagulation has begun to be more accepted and able to explain these coagulopathies.

So while the old model is far easier to learn as it is a cascade rather than cycle, the cell based model is more physiologically and clinically accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Haha,

Finally have a grasp of it.

The old model - intrinsic, extrinsic and common pathway, fails to explain why patients with prekallikrein and XII deficiencies have normal clotting and lack coagulopathies.

The new cell-based model of coagulation has begun to be more accepted and able to explain these coagulopathies.

So while the old model is far easier to learn as it is a cascade rather than cycle, the cell based model is more physiologically and clinically accurate.
    What? New model of coagulation? I don't think I ever got the old one in my head, and now there's a new one? I am definitely not coming back to medicine if they keep coming up with stuff I have to learn again...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What? New model of coagulation? I don't think I ever got the old one in my head, and now there's a new one? I am definitely not coming back to medicine if they keep coming up with stuff I have to learn again...
    Its mostly the same, just initiation doesn't really occur via contact factors and factor 12, its mostly via Tissue Factor, with a positive feedback type activation of the factors of the old "intrinsic" pathway.

ReputationRep:
    Its mostly the same, just initiation doesn't really occur via contact factors and factor 12, its mostly via Tissue Factor, with a positive feedback type activation of the factors of the old "intrinsic" pathway.
    This is pretty much how I always understood it?

ReputationRep:
    What's interesting in that someone clever enough to get an interview for Oxford is apparently not clever enough to figure out Facebook's privacy settings....
    Oh dear. She seems to have figured out now though... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    What is this new pathway you speak of? I learnt the 'old' one so well in first year, and can probably still draw it from memory (just about) - change will not bode well for me. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Oh if only I brought my 3DS. Mario Kart would have massively improved my life today.
    Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I keep my PSP/DS in my bag every day depending on what I'm playing at that current time. It was originally intended for bus/tube journeys but I think I probably use it more in lectures than on the move now.

Malaria is quite interesting - theres some new drugs out.
    (Original post by Tech)
    15th of feb? plenty of time!

Not sure if you can talk about prevention, but if so the new vaccine GSK are putting out is pretty exciting stuff.
    Crap, I did a very rough around the edges 10 minute presentation without powerpoint a few months back on treatments of malaria. I was hoping nothing new would have emerged making my life a lot easier. Does it just disrupt life cycle or am I going to have to learn a bunch of new drug targets?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.