Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    What a prick. These are the type of people you take the piss out of for jokes. Makes me cringe when I see that's his actual personality. Imagine him proposing..

"YOOOO BLAD! YOU KNOW US MAN BEEN DOIN A TING FOR A WHILE NOW INIT. YOU WANNA MAKE DIS **** LEGIT OR WHAT, AH **** AH **** I DIDN'T MEAN TO SWEAR INIT. STILL DOE YOU WNA BE MY WIFEY OR NOT BLAD"
    Lol the fool asked them to take the video down it's no longer on their official channel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Seriously though, we have Campbell, Sanogo and Podolski returning in the summer. I don't know why but I don't see Wenger getting rid of all three - maybe Campbell.

Ideally all should go to free up wages so we can go for Lacazette.

Watch our signings be completely random, non of these rumours will end up actually happening imo.
    if it was up to me:

sanogo - loan
    Podolski - sell
    Campbel - sell/loan

Podolski is on big wages, and although he is usefull, its just not worth it. would be happy to get rid. - free up 75k from our wages.

The other two I am less bothered by. I dont think sanogo has any sale value really.. but then we did get him for a free.. would not mind if we can loan him out to another PL club for a full season..

Campbell, I had a lot of hope for this season, after his world cup performances but he has just had a terrible season for both arsenal, and on his loan... I still feel he has potential, but there is no point in him being at arsenal next year, as he wont get the time, just like this year.. so he may as well go on loan or be sold.. he has more value then sanogo, so maybe a sale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    3rd all but guaranteed is lovely, we're unlikely to drop 5 points from here with 3 home games, an away day against a bottom half team and united. We'll drop points to united but a draw there wouldn't be shocking.

They have 2 away games and us anyway so they're bound to drop more points anyway.

City are tough to predict, playing 6th to 8th with 2 away is no easy feat although QPR at home is a definite 3 points. I could see them winning all 4 games tbh at best only dropping 2 points.

13 points and retain the FA Cup is the minimum expectation from here. If we manage that then we can say there's been some progress this season and with the right summer signings would launch is into next season on the right foot
    Agree completely.

Can't see united winning at palace and as long as we can avoid the CL qualifier I'll be happy tbh. Some signings actually depend on CL football and it'll be good to not have to wait till then.

Having said that, second isn't out the question either and and we're in the stronger position to finish there, especially if city draw today. Shouldn't we earn more money from that anyway? Would obviously much rather see us finish second and win the FA cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    if it was up to me:

sanogo - loan
    Podolski - sell
    Campbel - sell/loan

Podolski is on big wages, and although he is usefull, its just not worth it. would be happy to get rid. - free up 75k from our wages.

The other two I am less bothered by. I dont think sanogo has any sale value really.. but then we did get him for a free.. would not mind if we can loan him out to another PL club for a full season..

Campbell, I had a lot of hope for this season, after his world cup performances but he has just had a terrible season for both arsenal, and on his loan... I still feel he has potential, but there is no point in him being at arsenal next year, as he wont get the time, just like this year.. so he may as well go on loan or be sold.. he has more value then sanogo, so maybe a sale
    Yeah I would happily keep Poldi but on a smaller wage bill. Isn't his pay closer to the £100k mark? Regardless of his consistency, his left foot is still one of the best around and he can be a game changer when he comes on. With our injury problems easing though, would he even make the bench?

I really didn't understand why Campbell didn't go to a PL side? He would have developed a lot better here, would have gotten used to the physicality of the PL and then we would have been in a pole position to know for sure if he was good enough to be at Arsenal. If not, I'm sure we would have been able to sell him, probably to the club he would have been on loan with. Palace seemed perfect for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Yeah I would happily keep Poldi but on a smaller wage bill. Isn't his pay closer to the £100k mark? Regardless of his consistency, his left foot is still one of the best around and he can be a game changer when he comes on. With our injury problems easing though, would he even make the bench?

I really didn't understand why Campbell didn't go to a PL side? He would have developed a lot better here, would have gotten used to the physicality of the PL and then we would have been in a pole position to know for sure if he was good enough to be at Arsenal. If not, I'm sure we would have been able to sell him, probably to the club he would have been on loan with. Palace seemed perfect for him.
    Forget about Poldi and Campbell they are not up to the standard to play for this football club. If we want to compete for the PL and CL we're going to need better players than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Forget about Poldi and Campbell they are not up to the standard to play for this football club. If we want to compete for the PL and CL we're going to need better players than that.
    Yeah I was just thinking about this.

We have some mediocre players, a lot of good players and some WC players.

You look at the more successful teams in Europe, and they have almost no mediocre players, some good players and a lot of WC players. Pretty obvious, but I feel like we do need to get rid of some mediocre players like Sanogo, Campbell and get in a WC player or two.

ReputationRep:
    Need to be careful with Podolski, obviously he should be sold but we could end up flogging him for nothing when he's worth about £7m. I'm guessing he's out of contract next season however and he hasnt done anything recently so might be tough...

ReputationRep:
    I did not realise he was still 29 - genuinly thought he was in his early 30s.

should be able to get something for a 29 year old with his record, he would do a great job at a lower club in a slower league

ReputationRep:
    Hazard's getting worse at penalties, but it doesn't matter, Chelsea will be champions by the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Hazard's getting worse at penalties, but it doesn't matter, Chelsea will be champions by the end of the day.
    That's his first ever PL penalty miss...

ReputationRep:
    Poldi's only use is improving your GD or making a shocking CL performance look not so ****, he only scores if you're 2-0 up or 3-0 down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Agree completely.

Can't see united winning at palace and as long as we can avoid the CL qualifier I'll be happy tbh. Some signings actually depend on CL football and it'll be good to not have to wait till then.

Having said that, second isn't out the question either and and we're in the stronger position to finish there, especially if city draw today. Shouldn't we earn more money from that anyway? Would obviously much rather see us finish second and win the FA cup.
    I think you get about a mil more so nothing huge tbh, it's mire about mentality, it'd be our first time in the top 2 in AGES, so would be good to push on for next season knowing we at least stand a chance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think you get about a mil more so nothing huge tbh, it's mire about mentality, it'd be our first time in the top 2 in AGES, so would be good to push on for next season knowing we at least stand a chance
    Exactly ten years ago, funny the number of similarities between that season and this

- Arsenal Chelsea top two
    - United have an awful season but nobody is able to take advantage
    - Liverpool finish 5th
    - Two promoted sides immediately get relegated, whilst the 3rd only just stays up after being bottom all season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Exactly ten years ago, funny the number of similarities between that season and this

- Arsenal Chelsea top two
    - United have an awful season but nobody is able to take advantage
    - Liverpool finish 5th
    - Two promoted sides immediately get relegated, whilst the 3rd only just stays up after being bottom all season
    The only difference is, the two bottom sides look to be down before the final day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceyFish)
    That's his first ever PL penalty miss
    Did he not miss one a few weeks ago, where he scored the rebound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Did he not miss one a few weeks ago, where he scored the rebound?
    He's missed one in the CL this season, but that was in November or something. Only 2 misses of his professional career (I think).

ReputationRep:
    Feel a summer clear out is needed.

Szs can go IMO so long as we bring in a WC replacement.

Keep flam but get rid of Arteta, Diaby can only stay on pay as you play basis, otherwise he can go.

Sanogo, Poldi, Campbell (even Welbeck) can all be sold. Only 1 or 2 players Max needed to replace them (winger and WC Striker).

Loan out Chambers, Bellerin, Gnabry and sign a new CB and CDM. That would leave us with 22 strong players with 2 choices in every position.

ReputationRep:
    really agree with this.. but wenger seemed to rule it out.

Hope he is just saying that to not attract attention, and actually will think about bringing in a goal keeper

ReputationRep:
    Feel a summer clear out is needed.

Keep flam but get rid of Arteta, Diaby can only stay on pay as you play basis, otherwise he can go.

Sanogo, Poldi, Campbell (even Welbeck) can all be sold. Only 1 or 2 players Max needed to replace them (winger and WC Striker).

Loan out Chambers, Bellerin, Gnabry and sign a new CB and CDM. That would leave us with 22 strong players with 2 choices in every position.
    Makes no sense to loan out our 4th CB tbh. He'll gain plenty of experience from just hanging about the squad really and given the age of our senior CBs, it's all pretty good atm. Only hope in terms of CBs next season is that Gabriel Paulista takes over from Mertesacker as first choice CB(PM is OK as a rotation option against the dross)

I'd personally like to see Walcott sold before contract negotiations force our hand again tbh. City/LFC will surely offer something stupid like £30m if we play it right. Bring in another winger with the dosh.

ReputationRep:
    Why anyone would want to keep flamini is beyond me, honestly one of the worst players we've had at our club in a while, i hope he never plays for us again.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.