The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I may be off the mark with both of these but before I had you down as a prudish introvert who is a bit left, a feminist, a cat lover, and enjoys the finer things in life; now I have you down as an extroverted tomboy who likes cats, partying, and camping. You have transformed from the Hyacinth Bucket wifey character to the mate you would take camping and want to play video games with while stuffing your faces full of pizza. I am hoping you reveal you are a mixture of the two because that is the perfect specimen of mankind.

I am not a expert at how online advertising works but I thought companies receive ad revenue on the number of views they get. As the number of views a video gets remains the same with Adblock users the people missing out are the companies who spend money on online advertising, not the small companies who rely on ad revenue.
I thought i was the only one who constructed personalities of people based on their names and picture lol.

Do you imagine tsr members as being people you know irl?
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
On the note of cats, I think it's about time I changed my avatar... But what to? Hmm...
Do. I judge people who identify themselves with cats online. It's a sign of weakness.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
I thought i was the only one who constructed personalities of people based on their names and picture lol.

Haha, I do that too xD
x
I can't imagine what you're like in real life...
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like to think the Conservatives are full of the graduates who cannot quite bring themselves to leave the student lifestyle, consequently they spend years studying a masters and hanging out on student websites :dance: You are making me feel old as depending on when JoeL1994 was born I may be the second oldest person in the party. The thing with teaching is that £25,000 per year, eight hour days when marking is included, and 40 weeks a year seems like an easy option compared to some paths despite government changes to the profession. It is too late this year since they require a June start but it is one of those tempting things that people often talk about. Apart from the career side have you given much thought to post-graduation?

I am sorry, I was not feline in a literary mood to think of a better pun.
Well, it is a good lifestyle
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Haha, I do that too xD

How do you imagine me? I'm curious.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you imagine me? I'm curious.
The funny thing about your name, is that I have always imagined you as being like one of the top people in GoT (I've never seen it!) - I just googled your username to make sure I didn't look like a fool, and I would've as I didn't realise he was a guy from GoT!!!! :facepalm:

But basically, someone who is in charge of a lot of people and very powerful in whatever you do.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I recently read that there are 200,000 abortions in the UK each year. Could anybody calculate what the fertility rate would be if there were 0 (i think it's 1.9 at the moment).
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The funny thing about your name, is that I have always imagined you as being like one of the top people in GoT (I've never seen it!) - I just googled your username to make sure I didn't look like a fool, and I would've as I didn't realise he was a guy from GoT!!!! :facepalm:

But basically, someone who is in charge of a lot of people and very powerful in whatever you do.
lmfao

Actually i'm don't really like to be in authority over people. i prefer for people to tell me what to do so I can disobey them and act like a rebel. I don't like to be controlled, but telling others what to do is tedious in the extreme.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I recently read that there are 200,000 abortions in the UK each year. Could anybody calculate what the fertility rate would be if there were 0 (i think it's 1.9 at the moment).
Aph - would you like to work this out for Rakas...
lmfao

Actually i'm don't really like to be in authority over people. i prefer for people to tell me what to do so I can disobey them and act like a rebel. I don't like to be controlled, but telling others what to do is tedious in the extreme.
Hahaha, fair enough! So, is your username based on the top guy in GoT?
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, very much. A few more than others, Aph especially, because he reminds me of a person I know very well.

While I am at it, I imagine you as the 18 year old nerd who really wants a girlfriend but does not have one, has traditional but modern views making you the nice guy the girls constantly friend zone, is a member of debating club and spends time reading about history, politics, and maths. You are the person who stresses out over any exam of any size, choosing to deploy your expert procrastination skills over your revision skills. You like to focus on the negative aspects of something over the positive ones, you are staunchly middle class and quick to judge young parents when they allow their toddlers to misbehave, and you are cynical when it comes to benefit claimants. Your home is a detached farmhouse located in a quest, rural area with a pub next to the chapel. This description is the same description I would attach to most of my friends and goes some way to how I would describe myself.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Well, it is a good lifestyle
There is no denying that, but a lifestyle of money is preferable to me.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aph - would you like to work this out for Rakas...

Hahaha, fair enough! So, is your username based on the top guy in GoT?
Lol I don't get the Aph stats thing? He was good a doing lots of statistics or something? Still maintain that the UKIP bill was a funny joke that eveyrone took way out of proportion.

Yeah. You should watch gots. It's online for free, and its brilliant cinema. It's like Lotrs meets GTA. In other words, the medieval period.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
About 2.4
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, very much. A few more than others, Aph especially, because he reminds me of a person I know very well.

While I am at it, I imagine you as the 18 year old nerd who really wants a girlfriend but does not have one, has traditional but modern views making you the nice guy the girls constantly friend zone, is a member of debating club and spends time reading about history, politics, and maths. You are the person who stresses out over any exam of any size, choosing to deploy your expert procrastination skills over your revision skills. You like to focus on the negative aspects of something over the positive ones, you are staunchly middle class and quick to judge young parents when they allow their toddlers to misbehave, and you are cynical when it comes to benefit claimants. Your home is a detached farmhouse located in a quest, rural area with a pub next to the chapel. This description is the same description I would attach to most of my friends and goes some way to how I would describe myself.

Aph reminds me of that guy who tries to stop you talking to women to "protect them" when they don't even care. Actually, that'd be because he did that once xD

Wow, don't need to lay into Mobs that much lol.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If we were to calculate this as "what would the fertility rate be if there were 200,000 extra births each year" my back-of-the-cigarette-packet mathematics would put the answer at 2.4. However, that ignores the fact that if it were the case, some women who gave birth against their will now would be less likely to have more children in the future, as well as the fact that if abortion was impossible some people may be more careful with the use of contraception reducing the number of unwanted pregnancy - so it's impossible to really say without some qualitative analysis too.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
While I am at it, I imagine you as the 18 year old nerd who really wants a girlfriend but does not have one, has traditional but modern views making you the nice guy the girls constantly friend zone, is a member of debating club and spends time reading about history, politics, and maths. You are the person who stresses out over any exam of any size, choosing to deploy your expert procrastination skills over your revision skills. You like to focus on the negative aspects of something over the positive ones, you are staunchly middle class and quick to judge young parents when they allow their toddlers to misbehave, and you are cynical when it comes to benefit claimants. Your home is a detached farmhouse located in a quest, rural area with a pub next to the chapel.
You're actually not too far off...

I'm 18 in July - not a nerd (I don't think so anyway!). Don't have a girlfriend, but at the moment not looking for one - maybe when I"m at uni. Traditional but modern views, yeh... Actually, out of everyone I know at the moment, stressing out the least about exams - only because of my offer though... But yes, always deploy procrastination skills (on TSR, who doesn't...) over revision skills. Yeh, always focusing on the negative... have been called things from pessimistic, all the way to sadist and psychopath... I don't judge young parents when they allow their toddlers to misbehave. I judge all parents - although, since having my much younger brother, I am a little more tolerant with this (except on planes - that really ****s me off). Ever the cynic about benefit claimants... Haha, it's called 'Weir Farm' and it is in a rural area, but no pub (unfortunately) or chapel.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol I don't get the Aph stats thing? He was good a doing lots of statistics or something? Still maintain that the UKIP bill was a funny joke that eveyrone took way out of proportion.

Yeah. You should watch gots. It's online for free, and its brilliant cinema. It's like Lotrs meets GTA. In other words, the medieval period.
Planning to watch it after my exams are finished!
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like to think the Conservatives are full of the graduates who cannot quite bring themselves to leave the student lifestyle, consequently they spend years studying a masters and hanging out on student websites :dance: You are making me feel old as depending on when JoeL1994 was born I may be the second oldest person in the party. The thing with teaching is that £25,000 per year, eight hour days when marking is included, and 40 weeks a year seems like an easy option compared to some paths despite government changes to the profession. It is too late this year since they require a June start but it is one of those tempting things that people often talk about. Apart from the career side have you given much thought to post-graduation?

That does seem like a pretty accurate impression actually And teaching sounds good, but going by the teachers I know the reality isn't so kind - the days may be 8 hours long but only if you worked termtime weekends too, there's no way it's 40 hours a week in term. Postgrad? I have no idea really, I'm bad enough at figuring out what I'm going to do this evening let alone in three years time

Paw you

Do. I judge people who identify themselves with cats online. It's a sign of weakness.
Good to know...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
If we were to calculate this as "what would the fertility rate be if there were 200,000 extra births each year" my back-of-the-cigarette-packet mathematics would put the answer at 2.4. However, that ignores the fact that if it were the case, some women who gave birth against their will now would be less likely to have more children in the future, as well as the fact that if abortion was impossible some people may be more careful with the use of contraception reducing the number of unwanted pregnancy - so it's impossible to really say without some qualitative analysis too.
Aye, that's what i was looking for. And largely agree.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
right so fertility rate is births per woman for their entire life

female population = 31,520,040
fertility rate = 1.90
female life expectancy = 83

so we do 31,520,040*1.90=59,888,076 total babies the current uk population will produce.
59,888,076+200,000*83=76,488,076 to estimate how many there would've been with no abortion
and then \frac{76,488,076}{31,520,040}=2.  43 with no abortion which is above replacement of 2.1
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Mature student here (or new graduate anyway).

There are people as high as about 30 in certain sub-forums. To be fair to them though you can get a decent debate on some topics and why leave.

lmfao

It's always interesting to me why some people like to follow/lead or don't care. I myself have come to love being in control (have a weird lust for power) although i tend to follow instruction quite well too. I imagine that if i was prepared to get shot at then i'd have made a decent soldier.

Very impressive analysis. Not particularly good at painting such an image myself, at least off the basis of a few posts for most people.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads