Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    If anyone happens to know/hear whether or not coup is affect Kusadasi I'd be much obliged - got a family friend stuck over there on holiday
    Right now they'll probably be okay i'd imagine. Both sides are keen to stress than international obligations will be met so i suspect that planes flying back to the UK will be fine.

If i was them i'd be getting back to the UK at the earliest opportunity though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Right now they'll probably be okay i'd imagine. Both sides are keen to stress than international obligations will be met so i suspect that planes flying back to the UK will be fine.

If i was them i'd be getting back to the UK at the earliest opportunity though.
    Has the foreign office issued a statement yer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Has the foreign office issued a statement yer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "It's concerned".

What a first three days Boris has had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Of small interest, the US has 50-90 nuclear weapons based in Turkey.
    I would assume these are held at US military bases and so not under the control of the Turkish army?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cBay)
    I would assume these are held at US military bases and so not under the control of the Turkish army?
    They're held in Incirlik Air Base which is primarily operated by the USAF, with the Turkish Air Force using it as well. The base is currently on a heightened state of alert though so things should be ok.

AFAIK the Turkish military is pretty friendly with the US military and won't do anything silly there given how many arms they get from NATO members. Would be an absolutely stupid move to try and take the nukes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    If anyone happens to know/hear whether or not coup is affect Kusadasi I'd be much obliged - got a family friend stuck over there on holiday
    It seems a very efficient coup, it will just be the major cities, government buildings, tv broadcasters, transport (and possibly energy) infrastructure that will be affected.. Tourist destinations should be relatively unscathed (although I would advise obeying the curfew anyway just to be on the safe side).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    They're held in Incirlik Air Base which is primarily operated by the USAF, with the Turkish Air Force using it as well. The base is currently on a heightened state of alert though so things should be ok.

AFAIK the Turkish military is pretty friendly with the US military and won't do anything silly there given how many arms they get from NATO members. Would be an absolutely stupid move to try and take the nukes.
    If they got them and managed to use them would that result in NATO nuclear strikes in turkey? Hypothetically obviously.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by cBay)
    It seems a very efficient coup, it will just be the major cities, government buildings, tv broadcasters, transport (and possibly energy) infrastructure that will be affected.. Tourist destinations should be relatively unscathed (although I would advise obeying the curfew anyway just to be on the safe side).
    social media is also highly limited.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    If they got them and managed to use them would that result in NATO nuclear strikes in turkey? Hypothetically obviously.
    I have no idea. I'm not a NATO commander

ReputationRep:

On the other hand though, shortly after it started Russian Foreign Minister said: 'it is important to "avoid bloodshed" in Turkey. Any issues should be settled within a constitutional framework, he adds.' according to BBC. Considering the military tv broadcast also talked about a new constitution, that kinda sounds like there might be some Russian involvement in the planning to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    S**t is going down in Turkey.... Reports saying Tanks Are placed around the Turkish Parliament..... Also Military Helicopters are flying around shooting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    social media is also highly limited.
    I'm not an exactly an expert on this, but I would presume the censorship of social media would require access to the government computer network (or whatever you would call it), which would suggest they indeed have control of government.

Edit: if there's still a siege around parliament like hazzer says then I guess that means they don't have control of government. It could be the actual government that is censoring social media.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cBay)
    On the other hand though, shortly after it started Russian Foreign Minister said: 'it is important to "avoid bloodshed" in Turkey. Any issues should be settled within a constitutional framework, he adds.' according to BBC. Considering the military tv broadcast also talked about a new constitution, that kinda sounds like there might be some Russian involvement in the planning to me.
    The same Russians that had an air force plane shot down by the Turkish Air Force not long ago? Can't imagine them being on the best of terms with any level of the Turkish military tbh.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by cBay)
    I'm not an exactly an expert on this, but I would presume the censorship of social media would require access to the government computer network (or whatever you would call it), which would suggest they indeed have control of government.
    I honestly have no idea but I'm pretty sure you only need access to the police computer network in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    "It's concerned".

What a first three days Boris has had.
    Would it be cynical to say Boris would welcome this, so he doesn't ever have to interact with Erdogan and explain that little poem he wrote about the President ****ing a goat?

Because that would be my thought process

ReputationRep:
    The same Russians that had an air force plane shot down by the Turkish Air Force not long ago? Can't imagine them being on the best of terms with any level of the Turkish military tbh.
    Fair point.. I mean I guess I'm cynical and just inclined to think that either Russia and the US has something to do with this. Putin seemed to put the blame for that squarely on Erdogan.

ReputationRep:

If anything it sounds like a pro EU/west coup to me so the nukes are safe.

(Original post by cBay)
    It suggests to me that they expect the people to be ambivalent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Fair point.. I mean I guess I'm cynical and just inclined to think that either Russia and the US has something to do with this. Putin seemed to put the blame for that squarely on Erdogan.
    Doubt Russia and the US would work together/

The president was apparently turned away from landing in Germany and may be on the way to London.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Holy f*** It Appears Solders are shooting at random people

ReputationRep:
    It suggests to me that they expect the people to be ambivalent.
    Hmm.. Erdogan is very much like Trump, people either love him or despise him. It will probably depend how true they military are to their word in the coming days about secularism, democracy, human rights, etc.
    Doubt Russia and the US would work together/..........The president was apparently turned away from landing in Germany and may be on the way to London.
    Nah I didn't mean them working together, it just wouldn't surprise me if one of them were behind it.. no idea which though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.