Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    What? New model of coagulation? I don't think I ever got the old one in my head, and now there's a new one? I am definitely not coming back to medicine if they keep coming up with stuff I have to learn again...
    The old intrinsic/extrinsic pathway is basically lies. And memorising it serves little purpose anyway.

ReputationRep:
    As I understood it most of our course is gross simplification anyway. Well that is the impression I get when I talk to scientists looking at specific aspects of medicine.

Nerves are really quite cool at the physics molecular level
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Its mostly the same, just initiation doesn't really occur via contact factors and factor 12, its mostly via Tissue Factor, with a positive feedback type activation of the factors of the old "intrinsic" pathway.
    Is that the cycle that's in diagrammatic form in Kumar and Clark? Cause that's how I learnt it and it really annoyed me when haematologists kept banging on about intrinsic/extrinsic :p:

ReputationRep:
    Whey reckon this ssc will be good, with the ENT guys and they've got this case report for me which they reckon is publishable and presentable.

ReputationRep:
    I hate surgery so much i want to cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    I hate surgery so much i want to cry.
    Fairy what are you doing for jobs ranking!! I can't be bothered to rank that manyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Does the ranking need to be done before finals? If so that sucks - I had the luxury of post finals-pre elective last minute ranking. Do you still get quite a gap between written an OSCE? Allocate some of it to your 'time off'..?

Revise in a warm library/JCR/MCR w/ headphones?

Jury service should be deferrable when you have pre-established travel plans - contact them & ask nicely... delegate letter writing/phonecalls to a supportive-non-medic-friend / family if possible!

GOOD LUCK! Keep focussed on the awesome-ness that will be Elective-SSMs-Preparing-for-Practice-last-summer-in-Oxford & graduating.
    The Yorkshire bunch (me and fairy) need to rank the 500 by next wednesday!! Urgggggh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Fairy what are you doing for jobs ranking!! I can't be bothered to rank that manyyyy
    Do you get any indication of your quartile? I know some deanaries do....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Do you get any indication of your quartile? I know some deanaries do....
    No, haven't received anything like that which is a shame. Got 82. I honestly think I am just going to rank 100 jobs and click through the rest...if I don't get one of my top 100 jobs then it was never meant to happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    No, haven't received anything like that which is a shame. Got 82. I honestly think I am just going to rank 100 jobs and click through the rest...if I don't get one of my top 100 jobs then it was never meant to happen!
    Is one of those histograms showing successful applicants scores in the Yorkshire deanary not available? They were last year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hate statistics.

ReputationRep:
    trying to do my case report right now, bored outta my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad I wouldn't honestly mind resitting first year again? I feel like I don't know/can't remember **** all so I've ****ed myself over for the following years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Is it bad I wouldn't honestly mind resitting first year again? I feel like I don't know/can't remember **** all so I've ****ed myself over for the following years.
    Mate, what I remember from first year wouldn't cover a single side of A4. Or A5 for that matter. Doesn't seem to have landed me in the lurch just yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Mate, what I remember from first year wouldn't cover a single side of A4. Or A5 for that matter. Doesn't seem to have landed me in the lurch just yet!
    I'm really hating this pre-clin stuff again.

It doesn't help its neurology and nobody seems to understand what the **** is going on and everything we're being taught seems to contradict everything.
    • PS Helper

It doesn't help its neurology and nobody seems to understand what the **** is going on and everything we're being taught seems to contradict everything.
    I agree! I'm absolutely hating med school right now, its just so much work getting thrown at us and I barely understand what we did a couple of weeks ago let alone this new stuff
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Isometrix)
    Oh really, that's good then . But from what I gather selection is purely on academic merit, so it's going to be tough. yep, you too!
    Yes, I think it is purely on academic merit for most the BScs. I just went for it and applied for Psychology today, so we'll see how that works out

ReputationRep:

(Original post by billet-doux)
    I agree! I'm absolutely hating med school right now, its just so much work getting thrown at us and I barely understand what we did a couple of weeks ago let alone this new stuff
    Exactly how I felt this time last year, was so good to be done with pre-clin stuff once and for all, so much more interesting this year and much more enjoyable.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Is that the cycle that's in diagrammatic form in Kumar and Clark? Cause that's how I learnt it and it really annoyed me when haematologists kept banging on about intrinsic/extrinsic :p:
    Yea its exactly whats in K&C, but every physiology text book iv looked at has it wrong, and only some state that it is wrong but easier to learn.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    What is this new pathway you speak of? I learnt the 'old' one so well in first year, and can probably still draw it from memory (just about) - change will not bode well for me. :dry:
    It what it in Kumar and Clark, its the cell-based model of coagulation, far better than the old version.

Easier to learn.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.