Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Odd that Man City have signed Bony for £28mil. Is he really a title winning player? Maybe they saw him as a similar replacement for Negredo to compliment Aguero/Jovetic and similar to Dzeko?
    It's like Ba to Chelsea, a signing that will improve them but not one that will strike fear into anyone.

My guess is that Jovetic will be leaving.

ReputationRep:
    Or that he is there to replace Negredo in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It's like Ba to Chelsea, a signing that will improve them but not one that will strike fear into anyone.

My guess is that Jovetic will be leaving.
    I think Pellegrini likes to play (or have the option) to play 2 strikers and Aguero and Jovetic are both injury prone.

Yea maybe we'll see them offload another striker in the summer. They don't really have a massive squad anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Or that he is there to replace Negredo in the summer.
    I think they will have to drop a player from their CL squad to include Bony?

Who knows maybe he'll become a world beater.

No real transfer stories of substance to Liverpool which is a shame. Maybe the Lavezzi one will be real.

Although decent business to sell Assaidi for £4.7mil
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think Pellegrini likes to play (or have the option) to play 2 strikers and Aguero and Jovetic are both injury prone.

Yea maybe we'll see them offload another striker in the summer. They don't really have a massive squad anymore.
    They'll probably gain £40m from selling Nastasic/Negredo/Sinclair plus a few contracts ending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    They'll probably gain £40m from selling Nastasic/Negredo/Sinclair plus a few contracts ending.
    Think Nastasic loan deal has a £10mil option to buy
    Negredo loan has a obligation to buy by Valencia at 27mil euros which is about £21mil

Think Sinclair only had an asking price of £2.5mil which Villa refused to meet.

Man City have done pretty well after their initial splurges required to force them into the top 4/title challengers.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...elli-liverpool

Toure thinks Balo is world class

ReputationRep:
    Think Nastasic loan deal has a £10mil option to buy
    Negredo loan has a obligation to buy by Valencia at 27mil euros which is about £21mil

Think Sinclair only had an asking price of £2.5mil which Villa refused to meet.

Man City have done pretty well after their initial splurges required to force them into the top 4/title challengers.
    City are here to stay tbh. They have asserted themselves as a huge force in English football and that looks set to continue for a good few years. Just like Chelsea, they'll start to become more financially healthy and less reliant on thier owners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    City are here to stay tbh. They have asserted themselves as a huge force in English football and that looks set to continue for a good few years. Just like Chelsea, they'll start to become more financially healthy and less reliant on thier owners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh completely. On top of that, they've revamped the entire structure of the club including world class training facilities. Man City are going nowhere.

Realistically we just need to try and close the gap to Arsenal and aim to pip them to 4th most seasons.. we're not likely to get close to Man City/Chelsea/Man Utd on a regular basis.

Lambert being linked to a January move to WBA. Bit odd to let him go after 6 months especially when Sturridge hasn't returned yet.

ReputationRep:
    Oh completely. On top of that, they've revamped the entire structure of the club including world class training facilities. Man City are going nowhere.

Realistically we just need to try and close the gap to Arsenal and aim to pip them to 4th most seasons.. we're not likely to get close to Man City/Chelsea/Man Utd on a regular basis.

Lambert being linked to a January move to WBA. Bit odd to let him go after 6 months especially when Sturridge hasn't returned yet.
    Yeah exactly, City's management from the top has been amazing. They've set the club up to have a bright future and we could see them producing players from within rather than spending big. Although having a world class training and youth facilities wouldnt mean **** if they dont actually use it. You can just see City neglecting thier youth academy.

I might get a bit of stick from a few of my fellow United fans on here and although i deeply hate Liverpool, its sad to see that two of English football's biggest clubs are struggling. I really enjoyed the 08/09 season where we were both challenging for the league and obviously we won .

Tbh United would have been ****ed if we werent loaded. The financial capacity of our club will eventually get us back to challenging for the league and trophies, whereas Liverpool will have a more slow route to reaching the top of English football again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Yeah exactly, City's management from the top has been amazing. They've set the club up to have a bright future and we could see them producing players from within rather than spending big. Although having a world class training and youth facilities wouldnt mean **** if they dont actually use it. You can just see City neglecting thier youth academy.

I might get a bit of stick from a few of my fellow United fans on here and although i deeply hate Liverpool, its sad to see that two of English football's biggest clubs are struggling. I really enjoyed the 08/09 season where we were both challenging for the league and obviously we won .

Tbh United would have been ****ed if we werent loaded. The financial capacity of our club will eventually get us back to challenging for the league and trophies, whereas Liverpool will have a more slow route to reaching the top of English football again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think City will use their youth team more. The next step is to continue signing the brightest young talent from around the world and then play the numbers games in developing youngsters. It's always hard to bridge the gap between youth and first team but they'll get a couple of gems eventually. I don't think they'll be as bad as Chelsea tbh.

Yea Man Utd have an easier route back. The squad and transfers will eventually click into place even if you make a number of bad calls. At the moment, Liverpool can't even afford the cheap signings to be duds whereas Man Utd can sign a few for 20-30mil and not work out and still be fine.

Liverpool mostly got stung by their successful period being just before the explosion of Sky and the influx of money into the game. If we had the same success a decade later we would've been in a different place today imo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Enrique to Palace on loan reportedly. Makes sense.

He won't get game time with us. Moreno, Johnson, Flanagan are all above him in the pecking order, and he's paid £65k a week.

His, Johnson and Gerrard's departures in the summer will free up around £300k a week in terms of wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)

He won't get game time with us. Moreno, Johnson, Flanagan are all above him in the pecking order, and he's paid £65k a week.

His, Johnson and Gerrard's departures in the summer will free up around £300k a week in terms of wages.
    Does anyone know when his contract expires? I think we would've heard if it was this summer so I presume it's 2016?

Shame we're not able to sell him now. Few of our loan deals have worked out in terms of us making a sale afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)

Doubt Palace will be paying all of his wages. May be useful in getting rid of him in the summer though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Doubt Palace will be paying all of his wages. May be useful in getting rid of him in the summer though.
    For a 6 month loan, they probably would. Especially since there is no cost for them in terms of sign-on/agent fees/transfer fee.

I doubt they would be paying much of a loan fee + high wages though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For a 6 month loan, they probably would. Especially since there is no cost for them in terms of sign-on/agent fees/transfer fee.

I doubt they would be paying much of a loan fee + high wages though.
    This. Happened with Reina, too.

ReputationRep:
    There's been a lot of change at Liverpool. If Skrtel leaves and Lovren takes over, every player currently in the first 11 from next season have not played a game under Benitez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    There's been a lot of change at Liverpool. If Skrtel leaves and Lovren takes over, every player currently in the first 11 from next season have not played a game under Benitez.
    In fairness it has been 4.5 years since Rafa left and we've had Hodgson, Dalglish and now Rodgers as manager in that time.

Don't think many teams will remain the same over that period of time and change. Also Rafa bought Sterling so maybe that counts?

ReputationRep:
    When is sturridge coming back ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    New kits leaked: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...balance-shirts

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.