Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Makes no sense to loan out our 4th CB tbh. He'll gain plenty of experience from just hanging about the squad really and given the age of our senior CBs, it's all pretty good atm. Only hope in terms of CBs next season is that Gabriel Paulista takes over from Mertesacker as first choice CB(PM is OK as a rotation option against the dross)

I'd personally like to see Walcott sold before contract negotiations force our hand again tbh. City/LFC will surely offer something stupid like £30m if we play it right. Bring in another winger with the dosh.
    Disagree on all tgree counts, take Jenko for the last 3 years, he had Sagna as a mentor in that position who is about as good as you get. Only this season when given a chance on loan has he shown what's he's capable of.

People slate Mert but the combo he and Kosc has is perfect, as Mert wins aerial challenges and Kosc mops up the pieces. Paulista Kosc is just 2 cb who are very similar, which only really works if they both are aerially good enough and have good positioning (I.e. Cahill and terry). Kosc and Mert just works when both are on form tbh, you can say I'm wrong but iirc they've been the partnership this year vs city united Chelsea and Liverpool. We've conceded 2 in 4 from those games which is pretty damn good imo.

Don't want Walcott sold, I'm confident he'll be solid next season and will take rw off of welbs so long as Jenk or Debuchy is at rb over bellerin. We need to keep our English players to comply with new regs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    really agree with this.. but wenger seemed to rule it out.

Hope he is just saying that to not attract attention, and actually will think about bringing in a goal keeper
    I can't see him selling szs, if he wanted him out he would t be playing him in the fa cup, it'll be interesting to see if he playsin the final. I feel sorry for him, he was decent last season, he just hadent had it this year (possibly due to lack of competition). There's plenty if choices if we're in for one, casillas, Cech, forster, begovic, lloris are all keepers who would be a great improvement on our current offerings and at least 2 of them are achievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    I can't see him selling szs, if he wanted him out he would t be playing him in the fa cup, it'll be interesting to see if he playsin the final. I feel sorry for him, he was decent last season, he just hadent had it this year (possibly due to lack of competition). There's plenty if choices if we're in for one, casillas, Cech, forster, begovic, lloris are all keepers who would be a great improvement on our current offerings and at least 2 of them are achievable.
    I expect him to play in the final, as fabianski did last season..

To be honest, if he does not play in the final, that should be the last nail in the coffin and he should leave..

ReputationRep:
    Can we loan out Gibbs for experience too then? Guy spent his early days observing Ashley Cole at close range and still hasnt worked out fundamental positioning yet

Wenger brining in Andre Santos probably fried his brain on that subject though.

ReputationRep:
    Mert + Kos, have shown in the 2nd half of the season, just why they are so good..

But my issue is that in the first half of the season Mert showed just how bad he is, when working with anyone else..

And that inflexibility could be a real problem, as it has been this season, given our injury records.

- we need a back-up CB option that actually works, as we are always 1 injury from kos away from a defensive shambles like we had from last season.

I hope that gabriel can come in and do the Kos job, if that happens..

ReputationRep:
    kick off for city.

Always wierd to cheer on spurs.

But I do actually like kane.. so will just root for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Can we loan out Gibbs for experience too then? Guy spent his early days observing Ashley Cole at close range and still hasnt worked out fundamental positioning yet

Wenger brining in Andre Santos probably fried his brain on that subject though.
    You do realise you just backed up my point? Having a young player training with great players isn't enough to make them great, you need to give them exoerience.

Slating Gibbs despite the fact he was excellent last season and hasn't been that dreadful this season either, you're one of the most fickle fans on this forum tbf

ReputationRep:
    Mert + Kos, have shown in the 2nd half of the season, just why they are so good..

But my issue is that in the first half of the season Mert showed just how bad he is, when working with anyone else..

And that inflexibility could be a real problem, as it has been this season, given our injury records.

- we need a back-up CB option that actually works, as we are always 1 injury from kos away from a defensive shambles like we had from last season.

I hope that gabriel can come in and do the Kos job, if that happens..
    Which is why I've said again and again on here we need a 4th cb, because when Kosc gets injured you lose Mert as well effectively. A player like Smalling would be perfect, big strong dominating player to pair with a quick tough positionally aware player like Gabriel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    You do realise you just backed up my point? Having a young player training with great players isn't enough to make them great, you need to give them exoerience.

Slating Gibbs despite the fact he was excellent last season and hasn't been that dreadful this season either, you're one of the most fickle fans on this forum tbf
    Gibbs was absolutely brutal in pretty much every big game last season actually, hysterically, out of position at times. You'll find that he looks much worse at CL level as well.

And yeah I definitely did overrate him in the past, but Ive come to my senses at last. His only remarkable skill is his acceleration and pace which means he can cover huge amount of ground. But the good sides can easily exploit the space he leaves, which is why we tend to get ****ed badly on the counter in big games when he plays imo. And it's not as if the guy is good going forward either, his crossing is a complete non-event.

In terms of loans, you can pick arbitrary examples to back up either view actually. Every player is different. Tony Adams was Arsenal captain when he was Jenkinson's age with zero loans whereas you could send Djourou on loan for half a decade but you still wouldnt have a CB at the end of it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Spurs are just ****. Could easily have been two or three up by now, yet they get ****ed on the counter.

What a goal by Aguero though. Really wish he was at the Emirates

ReputationRep:
    kick off for city.

Always wierd to cheer on spurs.

But I do actually like kane.. so will just root for him.
    Haha i agree
    The hype for Kane is too much imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tottenham are ****ing hopeless.

They play like you do on fifa, when you're already promoted to the next division and don't need a win, and you just press high with no composure. Then you go a goal behind and you just go ultra attacking.

Can never want them to win, no matter how much I try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

****ing ****holes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceyFish)
    He's missed one in the CL this season, but that was in November or something. Only 2 misses of his professional career (I think).
    Yeah against Maribor I think. I'm trying to remember who it was but someone had their penalty saved then scored the rebound, and I could've sworn it was Hazard. Now I think about it, it could've been Kane. My bad, I guess that really was Hazard's first miss in the PL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProNoob)
    Haha i agree
    The hype for Kane is too much imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I couldn't help but laugh when pundits were claiming that Kane might actually beat Shearer's record.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs gonna spurs. Can't even do ya a favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    We can do it ourselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    'It's happened again, its happened again.. Tottenham Hotspur.. it's happened again'

****ing scums

ReputationRep:
    Hull gon' get smashed and battered tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Prediction: 3-0 or 3-1 if Wilshere starts.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah haha. Would rather lose than help a brother out smh^

(Original post by Logolept)
    Prediction: 3-0 or 3-1 if Wilshere starts.
    :rofl: lol at the one goal we concede with him on the side. We love you really Jack.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.