Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    This is very much the issue with having an army. If they decide to coup there is nothing you can do about it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Holy f*** It Appears Solders are shooting at random people
    Those behind the coup did instruct people to stay indoors. Safe to presume that those they are shooting at are likely to be Erdogan supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Holy f*** It Appears Solders are shooting at random people
    source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Would it be cynical to say Boris would welcome this, so he doesn't ever have to interact with Erdogan and explain that little poem he wrote about the President ****ing a goat?

Because that would be my thought process
    Boris probably arranged it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    This is very much the issue with having an army. If they decide to coup there is nothing you can do about it.
    So you'd have no problem with movement to Islamist rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Boris probably arranged it.
    Nah.

My sources in Turkey tell me there's a Mewtwo in the Presidential complex.

And the general will be damned if he's going to let that goat-****er get there first!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    So you'd have no problem with movement to Islamist rule?
    If it's the democratic will of the people. Or does democracy only apply when you are with the result?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    If it's the democratic will of the people. Or does democracy only apply when you are with the result?
    In the nicest possible way, i'd consider you a traitor to this nation if you simply let that happen.

Democracy is fine if many outcomes occur, but movement towards Islamic rule must not be tolerated ever in any nation!

ReputationRep:
    Wonders what the kurds are up to in the south east? They must surely sense an opportunity..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In the nicest possible way, i'd consider you a traitor to this nation if you simply let that happen.

Democracy is fine if many outcomes occur, but movement towards Islamic rule must not be tolerated ever in any nation!
    You mean you're only just seeing Aph a traitor to something hr doesn't even believe should exist?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Looks like the government may be turning the tide here. Sounds like a ton of Erdogan supporters and sympathetic members of the military are fighting back.

(Original post by cBay)
    Wonders what the kurds are up to in the south east? They must surely sense an opportunity..
    The main Kurdish party that Erdogan wants to imprison has condemned the coup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You mean you're only just seeing Aph a traitor to something hr doesn't even believe should exist?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I view him as akin to a harmless hippy for the most part but that view in particular went beyond the pale.

(Original post by cBay)
    The military has been ordered to come back from Iraq, not sure by who though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I expect it's pretty much just Ankara atm, and exit points to stop people leaving the country

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right now they'll probably be okay i'd imagine. Both sides are keen to stress than international obligations will be met so i suspect that planes flying back to the UK will be fine.

If i was them i'd be getting back to the UK at the earliest opportunity though.
    (Original post by cBay)
    It seems a very efficient coup, it will just be the major cities, government buildings, tv broadcasters, transport (and possibly energy) infrastructure that will be affected.. Tourist destinations should be relatively unscathed (although I would advise obeying the curfew anyway just to be on the safe side).
    Thanks all They're due to fly back Sunday, hopefully by then airports are open and it's possible. Truly worrying times.

ReputationRep:
    I get the impression that the army were relying on there being no resistance, generally unwilling to use force. The Erdogan supporters are coming out to protest and the pro-Erdogan police also putting up resistance, so coup is likely to fail.

Seen a lot of pictures of soldiers under arrest by police.

Also heard that a lot of pro-coup protesters have been shot dead by police near one of the bridges.

Anti-Coup Jets have been shooting down Pro-Coup helicopters above Ankara.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    I get the impression that the army were relying on there being no resistance, generally unwilling to use force. The Erdogan supporters are coming out to protest and the pro-Erdogan police also putting up resistance, so coup is likely to fail.

Seen a lot of pictures of soldiers under arrest by police.

Also heard that a lot of pro-coup protesters have been shot dead by police near one of the bridges.

Anti-Coup Jets have been shooting down Pro-Coup helicopters above Ankara.
    The police have little against APCs and tanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sounds like the leaders of the coup have no balls, and seeing the clips on the Beeb it's pretty clear. So much for martial law, there should be hundreds of casualties by now if they were serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Would you mind if they became a Christian nation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Would you mind if they became a Christian nation?
    I'd prefer them to have no dominant religion but it's clear that most protestant nations are far more prosperous and politically stable on average.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I'd prefer them to have no dominant religion but it's clear that most protestant nations are far more prosperous and politically stable on average.
    Correlation does not equal causation. And I agree states should be secular but if the people want the state to be Islamic then so be it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Erdogan today

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.