Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just spent 50 minutes slalom-ing around an empty car park on my bike, just thinking everything through.
    Considering arranging an appointment with GP, it's just hard to tell whether this is depression or just sadness, trying to think it through Scared though that I'll go to the GP and I won't have depression - as then it's nothing but my own fault for being like this, if that makes sense? I know that that's a stupid thing to think because if I don't then obviously it's a hugely good thing, but yes Realising it's a stupid thing to think that even more Ignore me, maybe. Just confused. Or something. Blah. Tell me if I'm being stupid, please, too.
    Time for bed I think, just feeling worse and worse sat here.
    Apologies for my ramblings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-duck)
    Just spent 50 minutes slalom-ing around an empty car park on my bike, just thinking everything through.
    Considering arranging an appointment with GP, it's just hard to tell whether this is depression or just sadness, trying to think it through Scared though that I'll go to the GP and I won't have depression - as then it's nothing but my own fault for being like this, if that makes sense? I know that that's a stupid thing to think because if I don't then obviously it's a hugely good thing, but yes Realising it's a stupid thing to think that even more Ignore me, maybe. Just confused. Or something. Blah. Tell me if I'm being stupid, please, too.
    Time for bed I think, just feeling worse and worse sat here.
    Apologies for my ramblings
    Be it depression or not, it is affecting your mental health by the sounds of it, so i would see your GP. It may be scary, but they are there to help you when you get sick, even if you are just sick with worry

From my experience with multiple GPs (about 3), if you mention that you feel depressed, they will likely give you this form to fill in, either there or in a week's time. This form asks you questions, and you rate from 1-5 how severely each thing affects you. I hope that makes sense? Anyways, "scoring" high means you're in a bad place, and should get a lot of help, but lower "scores" mean that it wont be as hard to get better. That should at least give you a vague idea of where you're at. I hope this helps
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Don't know if it's silly for me to, in the first year of uni, be considering looking at different corses that may have a lower workload for me and be a bit more practical in terms of employment...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Don't know if it's silly for me to, in the first year of uni, be considering looking at different corses that may have a lower workload for me and be a bit more practical in terms of employment...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What course are you doing at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    for some reason this thread won't let me read posts half the time atm

badly in need of a haircut...woo self care fails sigh, going this morning finally, just hope the barbers I know is open!

ReputationRep:
    Note to self, dont try on new tops when you have a giant food baby and get upset because there tight on you, in reality you dont have a constant food baby. :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Another day on my own. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmer_)
    Another day on my own. :cry:
    Hey is it rainy where you are too? The rain is keeping me inside on my own today Usually i go for a solo bike ride on saturdays but this weather man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Hey is it rainy where you are too? The rain is keeping me inside on my own today Usually i go for a solo bike ride on saturdays but this weather man
    It's very rainy today Plus, I'm on my own all day, so I have nothing to do. I had no plans but it's nice to have the option. Well, I'm sorry to hear you're also stuck in today.

ReputationRep:
    It's very rainy today Plus, I'm on my own all day, so I have nothing to do. I had no plans but it's nice to have the option. Well, I'm sorry to hear you're also stuck in today.
    What bit of scotland is it? I have some family up there.

ReputationRep:
    What bit of scotland is it? I have some family up there.
    It's not far outside of Stirling.

ReputationRep:
    It's not far outside of Stirling.
    Oh that's quite rural by the looks of it. Do you like being there? It looks pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's quite rural by the looks of it. Do you like being there? It looks pretty.
    Most of it is rural, yes. I like it here I guess, not my town in particular though, but I guess it's not too bad all in all.

ReputationRep:
    Most of it is rural, yes. I like it here I guess, not my town in particular though, but I guess it's not too bad all in all.
    Cool. Are you at uni at the minute? I believe there's a university in Stirling isn't there?

ReputationRep:
    This might be a crazy idea depending on what you like doing with your time, but sometimes when I have a big chunk of alone time I try to flip it around - rather than thinking about the bad aspects (boredom, loneliness, etc.) I try to frame it as a day of doing self-nurture, and because there's nobody else around you can do whatever will feel positive and constructive for you. Normally I try and do something like baking, going for a run, catching up on TV that I haven't had a chance to watch, eating good food (either tasty or healthy or both), painting, having a nice long bath, lots of cups of tea and preferably some chocolate and/or a glass of wine. Sometimes if you can step back from the negative parts of being alone without much to do, you can use the time for some positive self-care things.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Are you at uni at the minute? I believe there's a university in Stirling isn't there?
    There is indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    There is indeed
    Is that where you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfgah)
    This might be a crazy idea depending on what you like doing with your time, but sometimes when I have a big chunk of alone time I try to flip it around - rather than thinking about the bad aspects (boredom, loneliness, etc.) I try to frame it as a day of doing self-nurture, and because there's nobody else around you can do whatever will feel positive and constructive for you. Normally I try and do something like baking, going for a run, catching up on TV that I haven't had a chance to watch, eating good food (either tasty or healthy or both), painting, having a nice long bath, lots of cups of tea and preferably some chocolate and/or a glass of wine. Sometimes if you can step back from the negative parts of being alone without much to do, you can use the time for some positive self-care things.
    This is good advice Pretty much the spin i put on it.

How are you today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfgah)
    That sounds good- the things you listed are things I'd typically do on a day in myself. But today I woke up feeling really down about myself and those things seemed impossible. But I'm about to head to the shop anyway and get some food and then try and have a decent enough day. What's your plans for today then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaty_man)
    Be it depression or not, it is affecting your mental health by the sounds of it, so i would see your GP. It may be scary, but they are there to help you when you get sick, even if you are just sick with worry

From my experience with multiple GPs (about 3), if you mention that you feel depressed, they will likely give you this form to fill in, either there or in a week's time. This form asks you questions, and you rate from 1-5 how severely each thing affects you. I hope that makes sense? Anyways, "scoring" high means you're in a bad place, and should get a lot of help, but lower "scores" mean that it wont be as hard to get better. That should at least give you a vague idea of where you're at. I hope this helps
    Okey, yes. Can't remember ever actually going to the GP before, will wonder down to the doctors today though and find out what I need to do! (I think...)
    I'm not sure how anything's actually affecting me, as such? Like actually changing what I do in my day to day life (though I saw "procrastination" on a list of things for CBT at my uni - but then everyone procrastinates, don't they?)
    Helps a lot - Thank you

(Original post by Kindred)
    One person from my supervision group and a flat mate have already changed to lower workload courses, if that helps? I don't think they were enjoying the subject so much, and decided they'd enjoy the slightly easier course.
    If you're not enjoying the course/finding it too much then I guess firstly talk to someone at the uni - because they can help talk through options/possibly making your current workload more manageable? Not silly at all though

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.