Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    The Debuchy injury is pretty bad then, that means Chambers is going in at RB? Not a lot of options, if you pick up another defensive injury over this little run. Who'd be going in presumably at RB if you lose a CB? You think Wenger will risk it with the first choice back 4 against S'ton?
    He can't. I suspect he'll do what Van Gaal did against Milton Keynes, throw the reserves & fringe players in. They don't really have a choice.

Chambers Kosc Mert Gibbs is fine, but there's **** all behind that. What do you do if say, Mertesacker gets sent off or Gibbs inevitably gets injured again? I can't understand why Wenger didn't buy another defender, Arsenal were short last season but largely got away with it.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger: "I'm happy with the signings but we still need a physical presence with prodigious ability like Vieira or Petit."

Sound like Wenger wants quality over quantity. Is that practical? Probably not

Source: Bein Sports

ReputationRep:
    is any1 watchin parma vs milan? furak, 8 goals 2 red cards. menez just pulled off the illest tekkerz ive seen in a serie A match in years. i hate serie A but glad I watched this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Wenger: "I'm happy with the signings but we still need a physical presence with prodigious ability like Vieira or Petit."

http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/pr...no-samper-deal

ReputationRep:
    looooooool lopez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    is any1 watchin parma vs milan? furak, 8 goals 2 red cards. menez just pulled off the illest tekkerz ive seen in a serie A match in years. i hate serie A but glad I watched this.
    Watched it as well, Menez and Honda did the maddness, Bonera lol . Milan look a better rounded TEAM ever since Balo left. You can see why they let him go. Caught the Inter game earlier aswell. I wasn't sure about Pippo but I sense a Milan revival this season

ReputationRep:

Maybe Carvalho in Jan? Don't know much about the guy but there were links & he seems to be highly rated.

ReputationRep:
    looooooool lopez
    LOOL that moment was fricking hilarious 😂 What a mad game tho O.O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Maybe Carvalho in Jan? Don't know much about the guy but there were links & he seems to be highly rated.
    From what I read about him, he'd seem like a top player for Arsenal despite him being slow. Would be absolutely perfect in a 4-1-4-1 or Diamond.

I'm not sure Arsenal's interest in him was real tbh Arsenal usually stay away from third party owned players.

The stories that AW refused to bid an extra £3M more sounds like BS to me. Doesn't sound like something Wenger would do if he rated the player highly

ReputationRep:
    The stories that AW refused to bid an extra £3M more sounds like BS to me. Doesn't sound like something Wenger would do if he rated the player highly
    Really? Sounds exactly like something AW would to me. He's the kind of guy who'd walk away from buying a car because the dealer refused to throw in the mats for free.

I doubt you'll get him in Jan. Usually pay a premium to steal players halfway through the season, and considering the main reason we wasn't sold this summer was no one would meet his buyout that seems unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Sounds exactly like something AW would to me. He's the kind of guy who'd walk away from buying a car because the deal refused to throw in the mats for free.

I doubt you'll get him in Jan. Usually pay a premium to steal players halfway through the season, and considering the main reason we wasn't sold this summer was no one would meet his buyout that seems unlikely.
    If it happen a few years back then yeah I'd believe the story, we couldn't afford to push the boat for the players we really wanted e.g Mata and Cahill.

But now we have increased financial power. If Wenger really wanted him he'd bite the bullet just pay the extra money. After all what difference does £3M make when we generate that on one matchday alone.

Like I said I don't think the interest was real or as close as reported.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Sounds exactly like something AW would to me. He's the kind of guy who'd walk away from buying a car because the dealer refused to throw in the mats for free.
    Don't know why this poundshop stereotype for Arsene still lingers tbh. Plenty of recent examples where Arsene is willing to pay if he sees value there; Ozil,Sanchez,Chambers,Ox etc. He didn't haggle over 3mil but I do think the interest was real and was complicated by 3rd party.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know why this poundshop stereotype for Arsene still lingers tbh. Plenty of recent examples where Arsene is willing to pay if he sees value there; Ozil,Sanchez,Chambers,Ox etc. He didn't haggle over 3mil but I do think the interest was real and was complicated by 3rd party.
    There is a big difference between not spending money and having to find value. Pretty obvious after spending £40m AW will spend money, but the thing is how flexible he is beyond his definition of value, which is where the stereotypes come from. How has a club with over £100m ended up buying Welbeck on deadline day to play up front. Because Wenger refuses to do what he see's as overpaying. It would surprise me one bit that Wenger gave them a take it or leave it offer and walked away on principle from a deal he felt was overpriced.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who really thinks Wenger didn't get Carvalho because he didn't want to spend £3 million has got to be really ​stupid

ReputationRep:
    There is a big difference between not spending money and having to find value. Pretty obvious after spending £40m AW will spend money, but the thing is how flexible he is beyond his definition of value, which is where the stereotypes come from. How has a club with over £100m ended up buying Welbeck on deadline day to play up front. Because Wenger refuses to do what he see's as overpaying. It would surprise me one bit that Wenger gave them a take it or leave it offer and walked away on principle from a deal he felt was overpriced.
    Based on paper talk then? We'll never know the initial negotiation price, so we don't know how flexible he is wrt his value of a player. The same could be said about Van Gaal then, why has he not chucked 60mil at Hummels or Benatia instead of going for Rojo? We are purely going off "reports from Portugal" on this anyway and that's not a strong enough basis to form a stereotype on. Inb4 Higuain because thats basically the same case.

ReputationRep:
    Based on paper talk then? We'll never know the initial negotiation price, so we don't know how flexible he is wrt his value of a player. The same could be said about Van Gaal then, why has he not chucked 60mil at Hummels or Benatia instead of going for Rojo? We are purely going off "reports from Portugal" on this anyway and that's not a strong enough basis to form a stereotype on. Inb4 Higuain because thats basically the same case.
    You're using paper talk as flimsy of evidence when your own argument contains zero evidence, it's all speculation. We know where the initial negotiations started because he has a well know buyout clause, so there is an indication of flexibility. If he was flexible to that point you'd have the player. I think the deal was close I watched his last game before the window shut, the commentators even said he was doing his best, not to get injured display.

Using LVG because I'm a United fan is utter ad homien, it's irrelevant to a debate about AW. It's not even a good one because we overpaid for pretty much every player we bought this window. Overpaying doesn't ensure you get a player, how do you know we didn't bid that for Hummels?

Question relevant to AW, when was a clear cut example he over paid to get a player he'd been pursuing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're using paper talk as flimsy of evidence when your own argument contains zero evidence, it's all speculation. We know where the initial negotiations started because he has a well know buyout clause, so there is an indication of flexibility. If he was flexible to that point you'd have the player. I think the deal was close I watched his last game before the window shut, the commentators even said he was doing his best, not to get injured display.

Using LVG because I'm a United fan is utter ad homien, it's irrelevant to a debate about AW. It's not even a good one because we overpaid for pretty much every player we bought this window. Overpaying doesn't ensure you get a player, how do you know we didn't bid that for Hummels?

Question relevant to AW, when was a clear cut example he over paid to get a player he'd been pursuing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There was argument made that we overpaid for Bergkamp, but that wasn't a Wenger signing anyway (that's legitimately the only one i can think of).

ReputationRep:
    Arshavin? Barca and others were after him at the time.

On a side note Arshavin was one of my favourite players to play for Arsenal, I loved the guy

ReputationRep:
    Would prefer gustavo to carvalho if in honest seems like a better fit to the role we need in breaking up counters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    There was argument made that we overpaid for Bergkamp, but that wasn't a Wenger signing anyway (that's legitimately the only one i can think of).
    I'm not arguing the number is actually £3m, I have no idea. I'm just questioning the basis of the idea AW would over pay for a player. I cannot think of a single player AW has, by choice rather than desperation, overpaid by say £10m as a clear cut amount, as a clear example of AW having form for going against his principle of value to get his man. You've got examples of players you've clearly been in for, with the likes of Cavalho, Remy, Draxler of late who had buyout clauses, so we know it wasn't a case of rejected bids.

Arshavin? Barca and others were after him at the time.
    Pretty sure the others who were in for him had already bid similar amounts, and got rejected because Zenit wanted more.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.