Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sagna never had the reputation of Coentrao tbh. I doubt he will go for anything less than £12m. During WC summer he probably would have went for over £16m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    In the same world that Sagna cost £6m.
    Fabio Coentrao has played his way onto Tottenham Hotspur Football Club’s shopping list.

The Portugal international is rated as one of the best left fullbacks in Europe, and he has been linked with a host of top clubs in recent months.

Coentrao is under a long-term contract with Benfica, and they would only consider selling him for a huge fee when the transfer window reopens.

ReputationRep:
    Coentrao would probably command ~£6-8m, but we have far more pressing areas to strengthen than left-back.
    No chance, given that Benfica sold Ramires to us (after a good world cup performance, like Coentrao) for around £20m, you're looking at least £15m.

ReputationRep:
    I was assuming Coentrao's contract was ending very soon, no way he'll go for £6m. Somewhere between £16m-£20m probably, if not more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I was assuming Coentrao's contract was ending very soon, no way he'll go for £6m. Somewhere between £16m-£20m probably, if not more.
    Nope it ends in 2016 apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

The fact we need to strengthen in other areas first is more important though.

ReputationRep:
    Out
    Eboue/Denilson/Vela/Bendtner/Rosicky
    In
    Menez/Falcao/Sakho/M'Vila

Arsenal should be capable of this raising 15 mil from outgoing transfers.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Coentrao said he's not planning to move anywhere this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    Out
    Eboue/Denilson/Vela/Bendtner/Rosicky
    In
    Menez/Falcao/Sakho/M'Vila

Arsenal should be capable of this raising 15 mil from outgoing transfers.
    Im sure all these players you have listed would agree to bench warming at Arsenal when there are other top European clubs they could join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Coentrao said he's not planning to move anywhere this summer.
    I'm quite glad, otherwise Benfica would have lost coentrao, david luiz, ramires and di maria in the last year. i dont know if they're in financial turmoil or something but that would have been well harsh on them haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    No thanks, you or Liverpool can have him. If we sign him i'll be p***ed off.
    But expect Wenger to make a couple of signing with a couple of exist, not the massive overhaul everyone is calling for.
    Congrats, out of the three that quoted me you're the only one that said anything vaguely to do with what I actually posted. :yy:

We won't be moving for Alex [long name here], we already have several over-rated potentially good wingers.

No, what he's said, as he does indeed every summer, is that he won't buy unless it adds something to the team.

It's common sense.
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    No its not.

Wenger spends every summer. It's like your blind.
    I never said he wouldn't spend, I said there'd be no major movements. Your first XI is fine, ffs, hence why there'll be no major movements - also, given Wenger's abhorence of Chelsea's methods I expect small money moves, unless Cesc leaves.

ReputationRep:
    How about Pablo Aimar :sogood:, typical Arsenal player with bags of experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    How about Pablo Aimar :sogood:, typical Arsenal player with bags of experience.
    This surely rules him out? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    y r ur jokes always crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keira)
    y r ur jokes always crap?
    Bcoz, lyk, I dnt care. Ya get me?

ReputationRep:
    Bcoz, lyk, I dnt care. Ya get me?
    gr8

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2:

Even the haters LOL'd, trust me Kev :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I can't fathom where discussion of a pricey, fashionable left-back have emerged from. Clichy and Gibbs are more than sufficient.

Arsenal need:
    - A second DM, possible someone a bit more stay-at-home than Song for the big away games where we need that disciplined core in our midfield trio
    - A quality backup CB with a view that Vermaelen will partner Koscielny/Djourou next year. Basically a pacier, stronger Squillaci
    - A genuine left winger to possibly be first pick ahead of Arshavin, who could be deployed as an impact player or used for those games where he could actually be effective

I think we all know who we could sell in exchange, but that trio of players in - we can talk names later - would take a big step to strengthen a squad that is already capable of challenging for major honours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    x
    Left back talk has mainly stemmed from the assumption that Clichy is leaving this summer, something I doubt many people will be surprised with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I can't fathom where discussion of a pricey, fashionable left-back have emerged from. Clichy and Gibbs are more than sufficient.

Arsenal need:
    - A second DM, possible someone a bit more stay-at-home than Song for the big away games where we need that disciplined core in our midfield trio
    - A quality backup CB with a view that Vermaelen will partner Koscielny/Djourou next year. Basically a pacier, stronger Squillaci
    - A genuine left winger to possibly be first pick ahead of Arshavin, who could be deployed as an impact player or used for those games where he could actually be effective

I think we all know who we could sell in exchange, but that trio of players in - we can talk names later - would take a big step to strengthen a squad that is already capable of challenging for major honours.
    Definitely agree about the DM, I think that's the most important signing as most DM's are versatile - I think that versatility could help cover the need for another CB, too. 3 quality CB's, 2 DM's that can comfortably slot back into the position and Bartley + Miquel coming through should be enough. Wrt the left winger, dunno how much you've seen of Miyaichi? He looks ****ing amazing already and I'm really not sure it'd be worth splashing £20-30mil on someone like Hazard when we've got him pretty much ready made for that role.

I'm not really confident with Gibbs' defensive capabilities but keeping Clichy should be prioritised. The two of them, Traore to come back from Juve and a fit Vermaelen is more than enough to cover the position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.