Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Nigel is an amazing deputy leader of UKIP, so active and helpful! 1 day he will be leader
    Is that a hint at you resigning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    I think I might bob my head in a little more from now on. I regret leaving this place, and I'd very much like to get back into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Welcome back.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    We could always try to amend bills that narrowly failed?
    We could. Output is being created, though. I've written several bills recently that have yet to reach the House, as have others, and all credit to UKIP who have supplied us with items to debate.

---

One issue as well, and I know it's not one that people want to hear, is that the way we debate is quite off-putting to some people who would otherwise be interested. I know this for a fact, because people have told me. They like politics, and they like a good debate, but things in here can get a bit less than friendly, and sometimes it gets personal.

What that kind of potential member is after is to debate in a more friendly atmosphere. The MHoC should be fun, after all. I think that sometimes we take it all too seriously . Which is fine, I guess, if we want the MHoC to remain as is, but it doesn't hurt to be aware that it means losing out on at least some fresh blood.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    One issue as well, and I know it's not one that people want to hear, is that the way we debate is quite off-putting to some people who would otherwise be interested. I know this for a fact, because people have told me. They like politics, and they like a good debate, but things in here can get a bit less than friendly, and sometimes it gets personal.

What that kind of potential member is after is to debate in a more friendly atmosphere. The MHoC should be fun, after all. I think that sometimes we take it all too seriously . Which is fine, I guess, if we want the MHoC to remain as is, but it doesn't hurt to be aware that it means losing out on at least some fresh blood.
    Labour is very concerned with this very issue.
    We hoped inter-party collaboration on uncontroversial joke bills (the MRL APPG) would help alleviate tensions and go some way to solving what you've mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is that a hint at you resigning?
    No

When I do, in the future he would be a great leader, but I have no plans to resign in the near future

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Krollo)
    I think I might bob my head in a little more from now on. I regret leaving this place, and I'd very much like to get back into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Welcome back!

OMG Christian Grey's expensive items from 'Fifty Shades of Grey' :sogood: I wish I was mega-wealthy, wealthy no longer cuts it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I think they're definitely picked a winner in this guy :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    :zomg: imagine if he won based on the fact he's now UKIP:eek4:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    The Republican Party is alive and well in the West Midlands...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    The Republican Party is alive and well in the West Midlands...
    Support for my thread regarding Wales becoming part of England is clearly spreading.. just a shame its being picked up by a nutter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No!!! We shouldn't stop immigrants, we are not better then they are just because we happened to be born here.

So long as you don't do anything illegal no.

and now you seem to think that people need money to innovate which isn't the case.

and also I envisage a world without trade where everyone has the corrage of their convictions where everyone is free to do whatever they want (within the law) and they are subject to a 'gentle guiding hand' not an 'iron fist of greed and capitalism'

are you saying that we need more inequality.
    Of course we are better than some. Are you telling me that i'm not superior to an ISIS member.

Sure but we're discussing land grabbing. If nobody owns the land then nobody can really stop me using all land i can defend for my own purposes.

We need an incentive, profit acts an incentive whether you use money or beans. Profit is simply the producer surplus (plus fixed costs) that are accrued through trade for which we use money as a medium.

So i'd starve? If i can't grow all my own food then surely i need trade to get the rest of my good.

Well no. What i should have said was that that we need property rights, inequality is simply a symptom of this though one has to remember all the benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Almost certainly an outlier, but the latest IPSOS MORI has the Greens ahead of both the Lib Dems and UKIP
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Out of curiosity, did anyone else see Cleggy on 'The Last Leg' a few weeks ago. I wasnt a fan of his before but he actually did pretty well. He gave a great analogy for why people should vote too:

"If you go into Nandos and get someone else to order for you, you can't complain with what you get".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I am not sure, though the first was Metrobeans who was particularly helpful to me.
    I see - that is a fair while back.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for my part in the prologue of the 2015 tree-hugging conference with Aph as the honorary guest.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Apologies for my part in the prologue of the 2015 tree-hugging conference with Aph as the honorary guest.
    I think it was a great success

ReputationRep:
    Wow, admiration to Amal Clooney!

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-10044980.html

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for NI it wont have much impact for the rest of us, a lot of people view the NI conflict as an irritant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Unfortunately for NI it wont have much impact for the rest of us, a lot of people view the NI conflict as an irritant.
    Yeah, hence the comments below it.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.