The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
There's also Gerrard leaving meaning that there's less cover for the AM position.

We still have Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Markovic who are able to play that position

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A level sufferer
We still have Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Markovic who are able to play that position

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean CM sorry. So that would mean only Lucas and Henderson who can play there and Lallana/Coutinho if Rodgers makes a 3 man midfield.

Maybe this just confirms he's not getting a striker this window.
Original post by jam277
I mean CM sorry. So that would mean only Lucas and Henderson who can play there and Lallana/Coutinho if Rodgers makes a 3 man midfield.

Maybe this just confirms he's not getting a striker this window.

Rodgers loves Allen too much to leave him out. :tongue:
And now it's confirmed... Ibe's been recalled with immediate effect.

Thanks Brendan, you clueless, desperate fool.
What's the point in bringing back Ibe? Lallana is going to come back earlier than expected, think he's cup tied for both domestic cups aswell, he's not ready for Europe, he's rarely going to get to play in PL...
Ibe coming back to take Suso's place in the stands.
It'll be a poor show if Ibe isn't played, taking him away from regular games to sitting in the stands. If it's with immediate effect I fully expect him to be in the squad against Villa or West Ham.
I reckon you guys still have a shot at top 4. Reality is you're only 4 points behind with 18 games to go so it's far from a write off. Sturridge will be a massive boost too and not just because of his quality. Lots of games this season It looked me to that you were doing good with possession but struggled to convert/finish your chances off. Sturridge would probably have given you the win against UTD but also even Arsenal too. Most likely it will be a huge moral boost for the squad too so can see the side playing better overall. Arsenal's next 3 fixtures are City (away) Villa and Spurs (Away). Arteta's out for another 3 months and the truth is that Coquelin and Flamini just aren't good enough. We'll get 4/9 points from those 3 fixtures. You guys have a tough run coming too (Villa/WHU/Everton) but It's definitely a lot more managable then what we have. If Sturridge is back for WHU/Everton then I can see you winning both games and ending up with 9/9 points. You'll over take us which is what I'm worried about as I genuinely think we're not making top 4 this season now. As for UTD, they'll just be UTD and keep scraping wins/draws and sit comfortably at 3rd. The race for 4th is still on but it's between us, you, Tottenham and Southampton. Tight as **** man

Do think that if Rodgers managed to finish 4, it wouldn't be such a bad season for him after all.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
It'll be a poor show if Ibe isn't played, taking him away from regular games to sitting in the stands. If it's with immediate effect I fully expect him to be in the squad against Villa or West Ham.

Local journos down our way seem to think the "immediate recall" was from Derby's end.

Liverpool wanted him back at the end of the month but, if his head's already turned and he's excited to go back, it might affect his games for us. Especially ahead of the Forest match, we didn't want to risk it.

It allows us to bed in a replacement a lot sooner as well (which we would have needed anyway at the end of the month).
I don't think the problem is inability to convert chances, it is a problem but their possession was sterile and they were struggling to create chances despite their possession.

Liverpool have created 246 chances, Chelsea have created 286, Arsenal has created 264, United have created 204(which confirms how lucky they've been but they've not scored a lot of goals), City have created 300.

A finisher would help but it's clear that you are not creating enough chances.
Original post by jam277
I don't think the problem is inability to convert chances, it is a problem but their possession was sterile and they were struggling to create chances despite their possession.

Liverpool have created 246 chances, Chelsea have created 286, Arsenal has created 264, United have created 204(which confirms how lucky they've been but they've not scored a lot of goals), City have created 300.

Recently we have started creating more chances though, putting Sterling upfront was the start of that. It was obvious that an immobile striker upfront made it very difficult to create chances as well as being dominated in midfield which was why we created **** all earlier in the season. Rodgers has moved away from that and the attack has started to click. An ideal finisher is also able to create chances for others and themselves too, basically Sturridge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277

Sturridge creates his own chances.
Shame about Ibe really. Should be given a proper chance to continue his devlopment and shine at Derby. Something that Rodgers seems to lack is patience, he should really have waited this one out.

EDIT: Torres got a brace against Real tonight, delighted for him.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have to say though, players do not just improve because they play in matches - that is the product of their hardwork and training behind the scenes. There's nothing to say that Ibe won't develop while training at Melwood with the first team. We just won't see it if he isn't given game time.

Rodgers obviously wants him back for a reason and sees him getting game time. Let's not forget that we're still playing in the league, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League.

What happens if we suffer 2 or 3 injuries? Ibe would be called upon then. He's obviously picked up valuable game time experience at Derby but if the manger and player both think it would be better for him to be back at the club, then it's the right decision.

If he plays in 10 games before the end of the season, he'll probably get more value than 20 games at Derby because he'll be playing at a higher level and the level he's expected to aspire to.
Original post by Zerforax

Rodgers obviously wants him back for a reason and sees him getting game time. Let's not forget that we're still playing in the league, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League.

Can't play in either of them as he's cup tied. You really think he'll get games for EL when he has no experience in Europe and not to mention the competition is a important as ever considering the CL qualidication so Rodgers is not going to go easy and will play strong sides.
(edited 9 years ago)
Really pleased for Torres. When he left, like any Liverpool fan, I was really disgruntled and wished him nothing but woe. A few years down the line, though, and I think enough time has lapsed to wish him the best. He'll never be one of the world's best again, but I hope he recaptures some of his earlier spark under Simeone.
Original post by jam277

true, it has been frustrating at times although recently we've definitely created more, however we just haven't finished them as usual :/

balotelli and lambert are way too slow and don't make enough runs so you can see our problems there.
borini is much faster but his lack of quality lets him down before a chance is even fashioned.
sterling up front with his pace and quality gave us many more chances, although his finishing is below par so our conversion hasn't improved.

sturridge is fast with a good touch, able to beat a man and most importantly stick the ball in the back of the net consistently.
add that to the fact that he can create a goal out of nothing, and he can turn a team's season right around.

not gonna lie, there is immense pressure on the lad - his team struggling while he has been out the entire season; people are gonna expect a great deal from him.
the only two issues are how long it takes him to get back to top form and if he can stay injury free for the rest of the season.
if he hits the ground running and avoids major time out, we have a great shot at 4th place, and maybe even a bit of silverware :smile:
Original post by samir12
Can't play in either of them as he's cup tied. You really think he'll get games for EL when he has no experience in Europe and not to mention the competition is a important as ever considering the CL qualidication so Rodgers is not going to go easy and will play strong sides.

Ah didn't realise he'd played in them.

Well both finishing top4 or winning the EL is important but our squad won't manage all those games so yes I think Rodgers will put some faith in him and use otherwise he would've left him at Derby.
Apparently BR has confirmed we aren't letting Lucas go in this window, which is a BIG relief imo.
He should be playing every game for us, especially since if we switch to 3-4-3 we'd need him for defensive cover as the wing backs go forward.

Also, the apprent interest we have in Song is intruiging.
If utilised well he could be an excellent presence to solidify the midfield, although in the (admittedly) few West Ham games i've seen this season, he has been a little careless in possesion.
However everybody knows he's a decent player; Barca payed a lot of money for him and he's still only 27.
West Ham will likely try to make his move permanent so it could be tough to sign him.

Unfortunately there seems to be more news of players going out than those going in: Lambert, Suso, Lucas, etc..
Already halfway through the month; let's make something happen please Brendan.
Original post by Lúcio
Apparently BR has confirmed we aren't letting Lucas go in this window, which is a BIG relief imo.
He should be playing every game for us, especially since if we switch to 3-4-3 we'd need him for defensive cover as the wing backs go forward.

Also, the apprent interest we have in Song is intruiging.
If utilised well he could be an excellent presence to solidify the midfield, although in the (admittedly) few West Ham games i've seen this season, he has been a little careless in possesion.
However everybody knows he's a decent player; Barca payed a lot of money for him and he's still only 27.
West Ham will likely try to make his move permanent so it could be tough to sign him.

Unfortunately there seems to be more news of players going out than those going in: Lambert, Suso, Lucas, etc..
Already halfway through the month; let's make something happen please Brendan.

Think Rodgers just needs to make Lucas feel special and then he'll stay. I can't think of a better choice to be vice-captain (assuming Henderson is given captaincy).

Nah I don't want Song. He has too much of an attitude problem. He doesn't really want to play DM either. He wants to be an CM/AM so he can get goals and glory etc. We saw that in his latter days at Arsenal. And I can't forget that video where Puyol is giving a trophy to Abidal and Song thinks for some ridiculous reason it would be being given to him. Idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest