Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally found the last 15 minutes where the 10th Doctor said goodbye to all of his companions sadder..
Sithius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)
Of course - I blame MOTD for being distracting.

Yeah - except the statue also serves as a massive distraction, and the angels inside catch up easily. Consider it a crowned, famous decoy.

Same reason they let anyone go up to the roof (like that detective in the opening) - there's no way down. How many people would know that a paradox would kill the angels, and that killing themself would create a paradox?

Cool - perhaps you should leave again then.
Well I was being nice by not picking you up on the 'toying' point. Animals don't actually 'toy' with their prey in the sense that you are thinking. They do not prolong a hunt with fun in mind, they adopt a strategy which is most likely to give them the reward they seek. A cat may take its time hunting a mouse, this is to ensure the pounce is perfect and that it catches the mouse in time. It's not like Tom and Jerry where the cat is laughing in its head in excitement as it chases after the mouse, skidding in the dirt and 'toying' with it.

There is literally no good reason for the angels to lag behind and think 'no worries brahs the statue of Lib has this one under control. Let's just slowly walk up these stairs'.

Just think before you post. You already lost the point about the Dr letting Amy go so easily (he could have grabbed her and pulled her back whilst making sure to maintain eye contact with the angel, as an example)

Bah, I'm tired now, off to bed I go. Hate circular arguments, in this case you are recycling the same inane response to my perfectly valid points. It's grating.
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Miracle Day)
I personally found the last 15 minutes where the 10th Doctor said goodbye to all of his companions sadder..
Definitely.

Dr Who makes no sense anymore No thought is going into the continuity, the 'rules of Time' and stuff, it's just ruined it for me
TayRex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sithius)
Just think before you post. You already lost the point about the Dr letting Amy go so easily (he could have grabbed her and pulled her back whilst making sure to maintain eye contact with the angel, as an example)

Bah, I'm tired now, off to bed I go. Hate circular arguments, in this case you are recycling the same inane response to my perfectly valid points. It's grating.
Oh get over yourself. :rolleyes:

You being nitpicky and stubborn isn't perfectly valid and it doesn't mean you 'win'. Perhaps you should be a little less petty and actually consider what other people are explaining.

Do you expect the doctor to stare at the angel forever? Do you think he'd be able to do that? No. It's two against one and Moffat probably needed to save time so a pointless 5 minute long staring contest wasn't needed.

As for the pacing thing, is it really that much of a big deal? Maybe the angels didn't want to be running so fast because there's so many of them. They wouldn't want to move quickly in case they accidentally quantum-locked in front of each other and were trapped forever.
foreverstrong_97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tbh it was good much better than the normal ones but I dunnoe something wasnt quite right and well it was emotional enough I mean when Rose I left I was crying like a baby but when rory and amy left just a tear or two
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Polymath)
Definitely.

Dr Who makes no sense anymore No thought is going into the continuity, the 'rules of Time' and stuff, it's just ruined it for me
I sort of agree. I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Also found it strange how Rory just impulsively decided to walk back to the gravestone to look at that specific one. The writing of it wasn't even in his view.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Comfort eating biscuits to make me feel better. :cry2:
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by foreverstrong_97)
Tbh it was good much better than the normal ones but I dunnoe something wasnt quite right and well it was emotional enough I mean when Rose I left I was crying like a baby but when rory and amy left just a tear or two
Maybe because we felt the 10th Doctor's sadness? Matt smith has nowhere near the emotional range in acting as David Tennant
The Polymath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe because we felt the 10th Doctor's sadness? Matt smith has nowhere near the emotional range in acting as David Tennant
True. And maybe also the epic "Vale Decem" background music
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I was being nice by not picking you up on the 'toying' point. Animals don't actually 'toy' with their prey in the sense that you are thinking. They do not prolong a hunt with fun in mind, they adopt a strategy which is most likely to give them the reward they seek. A cat may take its time hunting a mouse, this is to ensure the pounce is perfect and that it catches the mouse in time. It's not like Tom and Jerry where the cat is laughing in its head in excitement as it chases after the mouse, skidding in the dirt and 'toying' with it.

There is literally no good reason for the angels to lag behind and think 'no worries brahs the statue of Lib has this one under control. Let's just slowly walk up these stairs'.

Actually, they do - when the prey has pretty much no chance of escape, then some animals will toy with their prey, giving it the idea that it's escaping, then hitting it again.

There's also no reason to bomb after them like someone tied rocket skates to Usain Bolt, when there is pretty much no escape possible.

Right back at ya - once more: Amy blocks his vision, how does he prevent that. Hold her tight? Then he's got to be right up close to her and... Oh, she's blocking his line of vision, never mind.

They aren't valid points, they're the petty, meaningless whining of a person ignorant of explanations given in previous episodes and foolish enough to think that's the writers fault. The reason I'm giving the same answer is because you refuse to stop, listen and think - instead blundering on, determined to be right rather than accepting yourself to be incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Polymath)
True. And maybe also the epic "Vale Decem" background music
Awh just listened to it. What I'd do to see David Tennant appear on Doctor Who, even if it's only the clone copy :/

We need to see Rose, Jack, Gwen, Martha, Donna, River Song, Mickey, Jackie etc all taken hostage for the 50th anniversary
laprenti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was alright. A bit too predictable, the cherubs could have been creepier, the smugness of River Song was on ultra mode, which was sickening, but the last few scenes were genuinely touching. Not a single mention of 'wibbly wobbly timey wimey' or similar phrases, which was good for my blood pressure.
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TayRex)
Finally this series has redeemed itself. A brilliant episode.

Though idk if a statue made of copper can qualify as a stone angel.

Nearly wet myself at "I always wanted to see the Statue of Liberty... I guess she got impatient."
They mentioned something about the Angels had turned every statue in NY into an angel.

(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
Definitely agree with that. I think the weeping angels just add that bit of suspense that the others don't really do. It's always a treat treat when an episode involves them.
As long as it isn't over done.

(Original post by Hopple)
Yeah, they screwed up the angels after the first episode. This was sort of half way though, in that we didn't actually see them move. The statue of liberty moving was silly as well, maybe it'd manage one step, but once it makes that noise everyone's going to be looking around and then it's all "Wtf is the statue of liberty doing there?".
I thought this as well.

I also though that even before that, just when is there not a single soul watching the statue in order for it to move first time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened in the first few minutes? I was sure it started at half past and only turned it on 5 minutes in just when Rory was going off for some coffee.

I enjoyed the episode, but as sad as it was I still think a more "heart breaking ending" would have been for Amy and Rory to have been sent back to different points in time. That really would have been tragic and heart-breaking. :moon:
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Rory's dad is going to be so pissed
Glad you all got the reference. It's really crap that after he told them to bring them home safe they're now gone. I'm wondering how the Doctor would have gone about telling the family, if at all?
Rooster523
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is a reason I left this godawful forum, too much stupidity and irrationality.
you watch a TV show about a space man who doesn't age and gets a new face if he gets badly hurt and flies around space and time fighting aliens in a police telephone box that's bigger on the inside than on the outside that can translate any language you see or hear and you want to tell us about irrationality? :rolleyes:
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Glad you all got the reference. It's really crap that after he told them to bring them home safe they're now gone. I'm wondering how the Doctor would have gone about telling the family, if at all?
He wouldn't go and tell him. His dad would probably work it out however, not where or when, but he'd realise they had died with the Doctor.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
He wouldn't go and tell him. His dad would probably work it out however, not where or when, but he'd realise they had died with the Doctor.
Poor Bryan
Christop
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"There's a gravestone here for someone with the same name as me."
The most idiotic last words ever.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Every time I view this thread it's full of *****ing about how bad the latest episode was. Where's the thread for people who actually like Doctor Who?
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wasn't a bad episode, but the ending seemed tacked on, one of the angels survived the paradox? Why? Is the Doctor just going to let this angel run around New York sending people back in time? The weird vortex thing sucking Rory back looked stupid and doesn't fit in with the angels not showing any trace of movement or action when visible, and the obvious conclusion as soon as Rory stopped to look at the gravestone took most of the impact out of it. They should have just ended it with Amy and Rory killing themselves to save the world, probably not the most kid-friendly ending, but it would have had more of an emotional impact and would have stayed in pace with the rest of the episode.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise