Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexSH)
    I got 9A* and 2B in my gcse. I am interested in doing Biology at Oxford but I'm also interested in doing medicine. Which do you guys think is harder to get in?
    Also English is my second language so I got 2Bs in Language and literature!

THANKS
    The stats say 3.6 applicants per place for biology and 9.7 for medicine (incidentally, it's not the highest, as Maths and Stats have 12.7 apps per place) but ultimately it's your own decision. Regarding English you should be alright, as a B is their minimum accepted grade, but your overall GCSE profile is actually above average - 81% A*s compared to 70%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    The stats say 3.6 applicants per place for biology and 9.7 for medicine (incidentally, it's not the highest, as Maths and Stats have 12.7 apps per place) but ultimately it's your own decision. Regarding English you should be alright, as a B is their minimum accepted grade, but your overall GCSE profile is actually above average - 81% A*s compared to 70%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi thanks. I meant medicine at any other unis but biology at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    This thread should be useful then:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1387408

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiko777)
    i do think your results are quite impressive but i think you should not say that you are very pleased because there are people who got lower results how do you make them feel if with 7A* you say you are not pleased frankly you come across slightly arrogant
    Could i apply for medicine at kings college london with 3A* 5A and 1B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miladrises)
    Could i apply for medicine at kings college london with 3A* 5A and 1B?
    personally i think you should work really hard on your a levels so you have all chances on your side and definitely apply
    hope i was of any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani97)
    Did anyone do WJEC English literature here? If so, how did you find the exams? Those are the exams I found to be the worst!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    It actually wasn't too bad - I was surprised I answered an empathy question though, but the other essay question was just too dreadful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I liked it!

Unit 2, About a Boy and An Inspector Calls!

Hey can you remember what the poems were for the unseen poetry, and what the question was for of mice and men if you did that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toluluque)
    Hey can you remember what the poems were for the unseen poetry, and what the question was for of mice and men if you did that
    I did mine in January sorry. And I did TKaM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toluluque)
    Of Mice And Men:
    Extract was when Crooks was telling Lennie about his childhood. Question was about how Crooks is portrayed.
    The main questions were "what is Curley's importance to the novel" and the other I'm not sure, I think it was about how an atmosphere of fear is created ir something.

Unseen poems were:
    Yew Tree Guest House by Phoebe Hesketh
    In the Basement of a Goodwill Store by Ted Kooser
    Question was the usual comparison.

I'm fairly sure these were the questions, but they might be slightly off. Hope I've been of some use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiko777)
    personally i think you should work really hard on your a levels so you have all chances on your side and definitely apply
    hope i was of any help
    Are you tellong me my grades are crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miladrises)
    Are you tellong me my grades are crap?
    I don't think he is but in a pool of medicine applicants, those results may be considered average or maybe below average

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My first post here!
    I got 2 a*'s, 6 a's, 1 b, 3 c's and a merit. I was a mark of from getting an a* in chemistry as I got 259 marks in total (260 is an a*) so it kinda put me down a bit since I want to go into medicine.

I took 3 sciences and got 3 a - core, additional and chemistry (they never let me do triple science award for some reason so once I finished double award I was bored and wanted to do a chemistry GCSE)
    Would you think it matters if I got no A stars in science if I want to go to uni for medicine? Or are some uni's more leniant regarding GCSE's and don't care if you got either an A or an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avfcfan)
    My first post here!
    I got 2 a*'s, 6 a's, 1 b, 3 c's and a merit. I was a mark of from getting an a* in chemistry as I got 259 marks in total (260 is an a*) so it kinda put me down a bit since I want to go into medicine.

I took 3 sciences and got 3 a - core, additional and chemistry (they never let me do triple science award for some reason so once I finished double award I was bored and wanted to do a chemistry GCSE)
    Would you think it matters if I got no A stars in science if I want to go to uni for medicine? Or are some uni's more leniant regarding GCSE's and don't care if you got either an A or an A*?
    It depends where you are thinking of going, I personally think your grades are great but medicine is a very competitive course with quite high entry requirements. For example I think Oxford medicine candidates have an average of like 8-10 A* at GCSE and like 3A*+ at A- Level but that's for Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Do universities look at your gcse grades when applying to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RSmith1007)
    It depends where you are thinking of going, I personally think your grades are great but medicine is a very competitive course with quite high entry requirements. For example I think Oxford medicine candidates have an average of like 8-10 A* at GCSE and like 3A*+ at A- Level but that's for Oxford
    Yeh I see what youre saying. It will depend on the uni I go to but I don't mind how highly ranked the uni is as long as they do medicine. For uni's like southampton, to do medicine I read you'll need atleast 7 a's but I fear that people with much higher grades are going to apply giving me little a chance.
    Does it also matter what secondary school/ 6 form you go to?
    I had the chance to go to handsworth grammar but chose cadbury college instead so will that leave me in regret? I fear that going to a grammar 6 form may have edged my chances a bit, but at the end of the day I guess its about your academic progress and what a levels you get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avfcfan)
    Yeh I see what youre saying. It will depend on the uni I go to but I don't mind how highly ranked the uni is as long as they do medicine. For uni's like southampton, to do medicine I read you'll need atleast 7 a's but I fear that people with much higher grades are going to apply giving me little a chance.
    Does it also matter what secondary school/ 6 form you go to?
    I had the chance to go to handsworth grammar but chose cadbury college instead so will that leave me in regret? I fear that going to a grammar 6 form may have edged my chances a bit, but at the end of the day I guess its about your academic progress and what a levels you get
    I don't really think it matters too much what school you go to, I think they do consider, say if you were to get a bit lower than the entry requirements but you went to a not so good school they may still consider you due to this. However getting the grades is most important and what school you go to has little or no importance I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovepeace)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They will all look at GCSE's but some put more wight on them than others, Oxford University put a huge weight on GCSE's but most other universities just ask for a C in English and Maths or it may differ depending on the course you're looking at for example and accounting course at Nottingham Trent university asks for a B in Maths

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think it matters too much what school you go to, I think they do consider, say if you were to get a bit lower than the entry requirements but you went to a not so good school they may still consider you due to this. However getting the grades is most important and what school you go to has little or no importance I think.
    Thanks for clearing that up mate

ReputationRep:
    They will all look at GCSE's but some put more wight on them than others, Oxford University put a huge weight on GCSE's but most other universities just ask for a C in English and Maths or it may differ depending on the course you're looking at for example and accounting course at Nottingham Trent university asks for a B in Maths
    At the moment im in my 1st year of doing travel and tourism level 3 btec and would like to go to uni when I would apply would they look at my results they are not great I failed 2 subjects got c in 4 subjects a b in 1 subject and a pass in science but when I was about to do the exams I had a family berevebce would my grades count against me when I apply for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovepeace)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends on the university.. but say if you and 6 other applicants were up for the final place in your chosen course, and you all had the same A-Level grades, they would then look at your GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staticas)
    It depends on the university.. but say if you and 6 other applicants were up for the final place in your chosen course, and you all had the same A-Level grades, they would then look at your GCSE's.
    Well im doing a btec level 3 and aiming to get D* at the secend of the course im in my 1st year would my gcses grades hinder me when I apply for uni I got a c in english language english literature naths and rs a b in child development and e in french and geography and pass vtec science

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.