Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)

Arsenal need a plan B, Barca don't have one because they don't need one, Arsenal have needed one plenty of times this season.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    ahh well man utd have won ... All i wish is that we at least win 3 of our remaining games and get out of this draw phase we are in =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    When we're drawing with clean sheets to Blackburn and Sunderland of course the defence aren't to blame, but when we're losing 4-0 leads to Newcastle, when we're losing 2-0 and 3-1 leads to Spurs, when we're conceding 3 goals at home to West Brom and conceding in the last seconds at Sunderland, you have to question the part they've played in our failure this season. We could buy Hazard and he could have the same effect Arsh first did, but say he was playing this weekend at the Reebok and put us into a 3 goal lead, if we conceded a goal with half an hour left would you feel safe in that game? We'd still have a 2 goal lead which for us should be more than enough, but there's no way would I feel safe because without fail when a crack appears we completely crumble.
    I would say that comes down to the tactical naivety in large part as well. When the start of a comeback comes about, there is clearly no plan in place, and there is a degree of panic that sets in. If players know that they need to switch to a deeper possession, solid shape, no risk game, they'll ride out the dangerous 10 minutes or so, inviting pressure on and then using pace and penetration to threat on the break. That means the opposition lose a little belief in the comeback and their fullbacks stop bombing forward to check the threat of our counters. That's not difficult, but something I don't think I've seen us do except against Barca.

Also, I'd say the 0-0s are a bigger problem, because they came at a stage of the season that we knew they had to be won, and we couldn't go and do that. We also failed with our strongest team, when we were throwing everything we had at them. That's worrying, and betrays a more pressing and fundamental problem rather than a freak result or individual errors.

(Original post by JK.)
    As I've said before I don't think another CB is what we really need, but given we play a 4-2-3-1 and our recognised DM's are Song, Denilson and Wilshere, I think it's vital we look to strengthen there. Song is fine. Wilshere can do a job but isn't an out and out DM, he's perfect for the games where we're going with a more attacking strategy to break teams down as he's a great link man and the extra cover is often unnecessary but when it comes to games where we do need the extra cover, where that protection and ability to break down an attack before it really starts is needed, he's not the right choice, imo. He can be a fiery character at times, but he just restrains himself too much when it's exactly what is needed. Denilson is ****e. So that leaves effectively 1.5 good enough DM's in a system that uses 2 DM's. It's also worth remembering that number will be reduced to .5 for a month when Song heads off to ACoN at the start of next year. Out of all positions in the squad this is where we're most lacking any decent level of depth, so it has to be rectified. Especially when it's our best chance of helping close up the midfield and protect the defence when we do need to slow the tempo and retake control having conceded and lost momentum in a game.
    But isn't what you are really asking for is something different to what we have? What's better, an identikit backup for Song, or a genuine another way? Someone who can introduce solidity to the midfield when that attacking flexibility isn't needed or when arriving at the edge of a congested area will offer an immediate solution rather than just another target for a 2 yard pass? It's not case of spunking it as hard as possible at every opportunity, but at least offering that threat. If you have to account for the possibility of a shot, defenders have to close earlier and tighter. This pulls them out of line and opens a gap for the intricate pass work. It's complementing our style, adding another facet to it rather than a seachange.

Besides, why do we need to work from the basis that "we play 4-2-3-1"? It's the default formation and works well the majority of the time, but sometimes it's not appropriate or doesn't work, how can we not have an alternative?

(Original post by JK.)
    The other positions where we lack strength in depth are the fullback positions and up top. I've always stressed the preference for a versatile DM so as to help cover the fullback positions, but I'd agree we'd be better off cutting one player loose and looking for something different up front. I still maintain that more than anything we need to improve the mental strength of the side, this group should be winning stuff without any strengthening and so strengthening may not make a difference, especially if we fail to bring in players that have the right sort of character as well as footballing abilities.
    I agree to an extent, but this can be helped as well. It inspires confidence if you have a clear plan how to deal with any situation, if you know that you are in a situation you have trained to deal with. Currently there isn't, there is one plan, one style that might work, or as we've clearly seen, it might not. How can we expect the players to show passion and willingness to win, when all they are trained is to stay patient, to persist with the same methods come what may? Yes, a character that will drive the team forward or organise the shape will help, but you need a team willing and trained to play in that way or it's meaningless. I agree that we have a strong team, and just spending won't achieve anything, but the problems are there to see, and they need to be addressed. We don't need change, but we need adjustment.

(Original post by JK.)
    The Blackburn game is a better example imo, there can't really be any complaints about the lack of 3 points as we were just useless. Personally, I feel that it wasn't a matter of the system failing, it was that the components of the system failed. The players just weren't putting in any effort, it was as if the exit from the cup competitions had just created some sort of mental barrier and now they didn't care about anything as it'd only lead to more upset when the seemingly inevitable loss of the competition finally came.
    I agree there's work to be done on the mental side, but where was the reaction to this? Where was the realisation that it wasn't working and the game was heading for a stalemate? 60 minutes Fabregas comes on, no change to the system, makes no difference. 73 and 78 Bendtner and Chamakh come on, just replacing forwards for a different forward, makes little difference and it doesn't work. Having an aerial presence and feeding them balls made us more threatening than we had been for the entire match, but it was all too little, too late.

That said, I think this touches on another important point, there needs to be genuine competition for places, not just so players need to fight for their place, but also so we can rotate against fatigue effectively. Fatigue is what hurt us against Spurs in midweek and a lack of quality replacements has hurt all season.
    Because of how in tune the team needs to be to play Wengerball, just one or two players missing and the system struggles. We need players to be able to come in and play their own game, not have to replace Fabregas or Van Persie, but for the team to adapt and play to the strengths of those on the field.

(Original post by JK.)
    With the discipline to recognise that those games aren't below us, to see that in the grand scheme of things, they're pretty ****ing important and with the defensive capabilities/mental strength to not completely capitulate whenever we concede a single goal, we'll be laughing, the squad, or the first team at least, have it in them to be incredible, which is what makes it all the more frustrating when you see them pissing away the golden chances they're given. But until we sort the issues out, they'll just continue to **** up anything and everything that's handed to them.
    Exactly, the team doesn't need ripping apart, the club isn't failing, but to move forward we don't need to do that, we just need to accept that there are shortcomings, and make the adjustments to address them.

ReputationRep:
    Sunderland were so exhausted by over-working themselves against Arsenal they have now fallen behind at home against Wigan.

Bunch of ****ing jokers.

Another team that suffers from getting too excited about their Emirates cup-final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Sunderland were so exhausted by over-working themselves against Arsenal they have now fallen behind at home against Wigan.

Bunch of ****ing jokers.

Another team that suffers from getting too excited about their Emirates cup-final.
    Have you ever wondered why teams go all out against Arsenal? Or do you think it's some conspiracy theory that everyone hates Arsenal?

ReputationRep:

Bunch of ****ing jokers.

Teams don't play well against Arsenal.

Arsenal are just one dimensional, predictable and easy to defend against.

The quality of the players mean that they eventually succeed playing **** football.

But if given a better platform they'd be world beaters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Have you ever wondered why teams go all out against Arsenal? Or do you think it's some conspiracy theory that everyone hates Arsenal?
    The latter.

ReputationRep:

Bunch of ****ing jokers.

4-2 Sunderland

ReputationRep:

Bunch of ****ing jokers.

So its Sunderlands fault they tried to compete in a Premier League game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    So its Sunderlands fault they tried to compete in Emirates Stadium?
    Corrected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    So its Sunderlands fault they tried to compete at Ashburton Grove?
    Corrected.
    Corrected again.

ReputationRep:
    Just as there was some quality in this thread...:nopity:

ReputationRep:
    So Chelsea are officially above us on points ( we haven't played yet but still) , this is looking like ( or is) a painful season to bear, as a France and Arsenal supporter, this is, at the moment, worse than 2006 for me.

ReputationRep:
    nasri off to united according to the sunday times :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali242)
    Hahaha I'm sure he'd love to play there. I mean he'll even be with his good friend Evra :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I could never ever see this happening, Madrid is another jersey I can see him in though, but not united

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    I could never ever see this happening, Madrid is another jersey I can see him in though, but not united
    totally agree. i can see him at inter as well...

ReputationRep:
    totally agree. i can see him at inter as well...
    Yeah thats another one.

It really pisses me off though because all these players might be looking to leave cos they're not winning trophies as if its the clubs fault but they're the ones on the pitch actually giving away 4 goal leads... I think the players with any respect for the club will stay to prove themselves but I'm worried Nasri RVP and Arshavin will all leave

ReputationRep:
    If Nasri leaves Menez has to come in.I also think Taarabt from QPR looks the real deal.

ReputationRep:
    Nasri's not leaving, ffs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.