Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I understand all the frustration but sacking him would be a bit hasty and I think premature. But I definitely think no contract should be offered yet and, at this particular time, this should be his final year. Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree he shouldn't be sacked this season and should see off his contract, even though he should have been removed from the club ages ago. But if he somehow gets a contract extension, he should still be sacked at the season anyway.

The shambles that has happened in this transfer market is enough reason for this to be Wenger's last season. You needed some strong signings to compete for trophies and maybe even challenge for the PL or CL. It would have been sensible to get the signings as early as possible for them to settle into the club during pre-season. So even if Wenger does make some signings by the end of the TW, it would not have been in the ideal way, since it may take some time before the new signings gel.

Even worse, the PL is a league. Every point counts. If Arsene had got some real quality players before the season started, the team would have been too strong for Villa to get any result, despite the ref. There was one 1 point between you and Spurs last year. Yet, you have already lost 3 points at home. 3 points might look small now but it can make a big difference at the end of the season. The CL is one of the biggest trophies in the world. Your squad is in no great shape to mount a strong challenge for it. Even if you got in new signings before the TW closes, they won't be eligible for the CL! What a shambles.

And who is Wenger going to get anyway? How many quality players can he sign in a short space of time?

The most important signings you needed were: GK, CB, DM & ST.

Also important but not as important as the positions above: LW & RW (people who can actually dribble and get past defenders).

How is Wenger going to get top quality for all these positions in 2 weeks? He has ****ed it up, big time. Any sane fan would see this as Wenger's last season if Arsenal want to get back to the top again. Of course, the Arsenal board also needs addressing as well.

And you know what's worse? The longer you have kept Wenger, the harder it is to get the right replacement as the best managers/coaches get signed up by other clubs.

It's a shambles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I think that's way too much for him, way too much. As crazy as Wenger is sometimes he is wise not to pay over the valuation of SOME players. No way is Michu worth £25m. I don't think he's much of an upgrade on Giroud tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're in a position where we have to over pay for players, can't afford to be penny pinching anymore. Whilst I think it's never a good idea to throw money around carelessly, what a player's worth and what they command are two different things .Swansea don't need to sell and we're desperate, he's also proven himself in the Prem, I rate him on the same level as Ba, he'd be a step up from Giroud as he can actually finish with composure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I've longed accepted that I am since 2010. But thanks for confirming it.
    So you're happy for Arsenal to aim for finishing in the top 4 every season as long as Wenger is in charge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Saw him literally swing a hay maker at a Villa player before holding back at the last second. Dont think its a bad thing so long as he's smart enough not to get sent off. The kicking he gets sometimes, I cant blame him.
    Yeh I agree Villa were clearly fouling him rotationally but he has to learn to pick his battles. Of course I don't think his aggressiveness should be quelled, but there's a line and I think the manager needs to make sure he doesn't cross it and as I said he seems to be getting more petulant than he was.

ReputationRep:
    2 top players + Christian Eriksen and Toby alderweireld (Special discount curtsey of Bergkamp) and tbh ill be relativley satisfied. We will have a bloody CB and a young player in Eriksen who could grow to be amazing but im sure will do a job this season.

the 2 top players can be anyone just need one to be a striker.

ReputationRep:
    SSN saying we made bid for Yohan Cabaye

not really sure what to make of it but yeh

if he cost below £15mill is seems a good deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)

Would be good probably around arteta if not better tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Squirtle-)
    So you're happy for Arsenal to aim for finishing in the top 4 every season as long as Wenger is in charge?
    No, since we don't aim to finish just in top 4.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Arsenal has bid for Yohan Cabaye

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)

if he cost below £15mill is seems a good deal
    good player, - if this was last year, then Id expect there to be a whole heap of hype, and cost a lot more money...

but after newcastles season last year, seems most people have forgotten how effective he can be..

ReputationRep:
    Offensively Wilshire, cabaye and Cazorla seems very good. Problem is defensively we could get absolutely raped if we end up playing how we did against villa but he is a class above arteta and im not even gonna try to compare him to ramsey

ReputationRep:
    Don't get the Cabaye bid, attacking midfield is where we're strongest.

Sure there's strength in depth, but when we have practically no presence in defensive midfield, no quality striker, a dodgy keeper, and centre backs who seem to get sent off and injured more than they defend, why would Cabaye be at the top of his list?

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** are we in for Cabaye when were in desperate need of a DM, defenders, a winger, a GK and a striker. Cabaye would be behind Wilshere, Cazorla and imo Rosicky if he joined so no idea wtf we're doing here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Why the **** are we in for Cabaye when were in desperate need of a DM, defenders, a winger, a GK and a striker. Cabaye would be behind Wilshere, Cazorla and imo Rosicky if he joined so no idea wtf we're doing here.
    Maybe Wenger wants to play Cazorla on the wing more :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Im fearing panic buys
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    I'm sure they know what they're doing by putting in a Cabaye bid, there's probably more ongoing talks behind the scenes for other players anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Im fearing panic buys
    2011 again :lol:
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Just realised Cabaye is French....oh Wenger :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Clearly it's a matter of the board. The board lack direction and as long as Stan Kroenke is content with the level of profit he turns year in year out then there will be no pressure on Wenger for his job and that is the case - he doesn't feel threatened and feels he is the beating heart of arsenal!

There needs to be serious demonstrations from the supporters - do you think that fans of a team such as Juventus or Real Madrid would stand by and watch this happen?
    They would take to the streets and publicly voice their opinions!

I feel the it should be done here.
    Wenger should not have a contract renewed - even if he were to win a trophy this season his tenure is over.
    I have much respect for the man but want to see a new era dominated by Usmanov and a spending revolution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PSG are after Cabaye too according to the press. Could turn into another one of those sagas for you guys.

Would also be a bit of an odd signing as you've all said you really need strengthening in other positions

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.