Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
elitepower
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sheldor)
They would be stuck in the hotel because of the angels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I meant at the end.
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)
He was thrilled because she had gotten herself loose without breaking her wrist (and presumably not the angel's either), meaning that she had found a way to rewrite history/the future. That all came crashing down when he realised she had broken her wrist to get free.

Another thing with the angels, why did they have lights in the hotel? They can actually see each other hence on the multiple occasions there were several chasing whoever, the one in the lead would be frozen until the other overtook.
I see! I understand now.

The thing is though, earlier in River/Melody's story arc we are shown that she has the ability to regenerate; why, then, couldn't she heal her own wrist? Or am I completely forgetting something?

I seem to remember her using her regenerations up to save the Doctor in some way - am I right? And if so, does that mean she has absolutely no regeneration energy (hate the phrase) left within her? As it doesn't have to be used solely for regeneration purposes, as we saw here...
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why couldn't, at various points, River have used the vortex manipulator to get out / save people.

E.g: - Move out of the grip of the angel
- Save the four of them by teleporting (Captain Jack's could work as a teleport after the doctor had played with it) out of the hotel.
- Be sent back in time by the same angel to be with Amy and Rory, then use the vortex manipulator to get back to 2012 / whatever time the tardis was in.

Also, I thought regeneration energy could be only be reused within 15hours of regeneration?

Other than that - I wasn't a big fan of the episode otherall, as it did seem to have the purpose of getting rid of Amy and Rory, and that was all - Manhatten seemed to be saved by accident. The slow motion scenes annoyed me as well.
username91207
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've seen people on other forums questioning the typewriter, so just thought I'd add: that's River, no? Typing up their story? With Chapter 1 being called "The Dying Detective"?
Sheldor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
I see! I understand now.

The thing is though, earlier in River/Melody's story arc we are shown that she has the ability to regenerate; why, then, couldn't she heal her own wrist? Or am I completely forgetting something?

I seem to remember her using her regenerations up to save the Doctor in some way - am I right? And if so, does that mean she has absolutely no regeneration energy (hate the phrase) left within her? As it doesn't have to be used solely for regeneration purposes, as we saw here...
Nope, absoloutely no regeneration or healing powers left in her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
medicine gapper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
why couldn't they write all their episodes like the last one ? It was very good.

I only had one issue. The angels should not have been able to take amy away. You had the doctor still looking at the angels.

And since rory was returned, it wasn't a paradox at all. Well it was a paradox WITHIN a paradox.

Great episode though.
medicine gapper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
I've seen people on other forums questioning the typewriter, so just thought I'd add: that's River, no? Typing up their story? With Chapter 1 being called "The Dying Detective"?
Also..if the angels can take a city..why not just take them all? Why not do it before?

It's all paradoxical

but pretty good episode
farhiyaserar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
omg i was in tears when rory and amy got taken, i think its one of the best scenes in doctor who. I cant wait til christmas for the next few episodes.
username91207
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sheldor)
Nope, absoloutely no regeneration or healing powers left in her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks.

I did like the advice River gives Amy here:

Amy: Okay, why did you lie?
River: Never let him see the damage. And never ever let him see you age. He doesn't like endings.

...whilst River's blisfully unaware that the Doctor knows exactly how her ending comes about... :heart:
xanthippe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aaaa just watched the episode on BBC iPlayer.

THOSE. BABIES. OH GOD. O___O

I'm not sure which are more terrifying, the babies or the silence.
boumavilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone know of any spoilers for the Christmas episode??
getfunky!
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found the episode to be poor, I know I know, it's mostly due to it being a pivotal episode in this Doctor's storyline.

I was expecting more emotion and more detail about the villains such as why they were there and how they got there in more detail, I mean there was a statue of liberty angel:zomg: the episode length was too short and constricting. Maybe it would have worked better if they did a two part episode or perhaps a feature length episode to do their departure from the show better justice.

The character in opening scenes - Garner wasn't revisited in some strange way to see his empty room or future self laying there dead or something ..would've added to the creepiness of the angels.

The statue of Liberty "angel" had no real role in the story, other than adding a sort of dynamic feel to the episode. But overall, it had no major part in the story, it was just ..there. They should have shed more light on that certain "angel".

The baby angels were creepy and a fine addition to the the villainous group. But I feel they weren't creepy enough in the basement, their strange laughter and pattering feet in the dark had an effect but it wasn't enough, it would have been a better sequence to have them seem as savages that are "fed" now and then by Grayle (the collector).
Also in time of the angels/flesh & stone where the "angels" laugh, their laughter comes across as painful screeching and Doctor & Co. have no idea what it is hence Bobs-voice explains it to them. They probably should have addressed why these baby angels were giggling and were not lightly screeching in the dark. They could have added more fanged-faced babies in between the dark basement scenes.

Also some of the angels were different, such as where Grayle was ambushed by the child and his mother in his home. Would've been nice to hear more about why they were different than the rest.
They could have also revisited the angel that was locked up in Grayle's homes and was somewhat tortured. Would've been nice to what happened to it ..and how exactly River escaped.

The scene where the Doctor is surprised to find that River escaped from the angels grasp, was likely him being shocked that he would actually cause her pain by asking her to break her own arm. He probably wasn't serious in asking her to break her own arm, and only said it in a moment of anger/tension i.e. she would be stupid enough to get herself trapped and then writing a book about future events and asking him to read ahead.

Most notably:
Amy and rory's departure wasn't emotional enough. It was a major scene where they finally left the show. I was expecting similar emotion where Rory was killed/lost in Cold Blood (5th series) - Amy cries and screams at the doctor about not leaving him there and he retorts emotionally as well, saddened that they've lost him and she'll lose a part of her life and he's pleading with her to keep him in her memories.
Just was expecting a hell of a lot of emotion and crying in this episode where they leave. At least a lot of tears and shouting not at Amy to no go as well. River was losing her parents and the Doctor was losing his companions. Maybe River should have been telling him to let them go, it's for the best for Amy & Rory to be together, and the Doctor taking it hard to let them go:moon:

Nevertheless it was a well written episode. Just felt rushed and some scenes were in there just to let the story progress. Such as the statue of liberty ..How did it move so loudly, and yet no one was watching it? I thought they couldn't move when being watched. How exactly did River escape from the angel and arrived in New York, if she used her vortex-wrist-thing to arrive as it was easier than landing a TARDIS in there, then could she have possibly gone back to collect Amy & Rory? or did she need a signal to lock on to, then again how was she able to send back to Amy the story and let Amy add an afterword to it?

Episode could have been a two-parter.

Questions:moon: if some of this was answered in the episode, then I'd like to hear about it:hat:
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by medicine gapper)
why couldn't they write all their episodes like the last one ? It was very good.

I only had one issue. The angels should not have been able to take amy away. You had the doctor still looking at the angels.

And since rory was returned, it wasn't a paradox at all. Well it was a paradox WITHIN a paradox.

Great episode though.
Agreed! The last episode was tonnes better than the others, but if they wrote them all like that, maybe the last one wouldn't have been so dramatic and fantastic. :rolleyes:

That's what I thought. But then I considered that Amy was blocking the view of the angel from the Doctor, but River could also see them, couldn't she? I thought the storyline was amazing, and the general writing was fantastic, but felt that the Doctor should have looked away for a split second, or maybe 'gone with it' to show his appreciation that Amy (in a sense) chose Rory over travelling with him, and then the angel moving would have made sense. I also thought when Rory was falling from the building with Amy, the Doctor should have made an effort to yell for him too. Not enough love for Rory. He died/was sent back twice and didn't get a goodbye!

What do you mean about the paradox? I thought it was quite clever how they did it. But then, saying that, as they saw him as an old man, I thought the Doctor said things were permanently written then? Hence, why, when he saw his grave, he disappeared and was sent back in time by the angels. God, how confusing.

Also, (and if anybody can clarify this for me, it'd be great!), when the angels send people back, do the people live their lives out again? E.g. If Rory and Amy went back, would they experience the rest of their lives but in a different time, despite it being the present? So they'd sort of live in the past, but live nonetheless? I think they do, but just clarifying. Thanks.
Nichrome
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The episode was absolutely brilliant - perhaps THE best 'new' Doctor Who episode. The face of the Statue of Liberty in the background of the roof was terrifying, well worth whatever inconsistencies it may have caused! How Amy and Rory left was absolutely perfect, quite sudden and shocking in the manner it happened. Much, much better than the horrible, tiresome and protracted overly-weepy terrible way Rose left in series 2, but then that just about sums up all of RTDs episodes.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nichrome)
The episode was absolutely brilliant - perhaps THE best 'new' Doctor Who episode. The face of the Statue of Liberty in the background of the roof was terrifying, well worth whatever inconsistencies it may have caused! How Amy and Rory left was absolutely perfect, quite sudden and shocking in the manner it happened. Much, much better than the horrible, tiresome and protracted overly-weepy terrible way Rose left in series 2, but then that just about sums up all of RTDs episodes.
I know!
I loved it.

Agreed! I thought their exit was dramatic, yet dignified. I will miss them so much. Doubt they'll return though, even for the anniversary episodes.
HotfireLegend
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One of the better ones so far, I think. The ending was better than the Cube episode's at least! I still prefer the Tennant era though, there were actual monsters and stuff in that. Currently, we've seen very few animate creatures (cubes, statues, etc) and no Daleks, etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong. haven't seen much of this series)
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HotfireLegend)
One of the better ones so far, I think. The ending was better than the Cube episode's at least! I still prefer the Tennant era though, there were actual monsters and stuff in that. Currently, we've seen very few animate creatures (cubes, statues, etc) and no Daleks, etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong. haven't seen much of this series)
Well, there have been 5 episodes:
1 - Daleks
2 - Alien baddie
3 - Cyborg
4 - Cubes - but also people with weird faces stealing people from hospitals, and an alien with cracked skin
5 - Angels/statues

So it's really only the last 2 that have had non-animate monsters. It is generally true though that there's a trend away from having a visibly alien monster-baddie.
username91207
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HotfireLegend)
The very first episode of this series was Asylum of the Daleks, did you not see it?
Viennaberry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm just...so glad Amy Pond is gone. Poor Rory.
coopsyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Love Amy and Rory, hate Matt Smith...can't be the only one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
38.03%
No - but I will (53)
7.25%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (347)
47.47%

Watched Threads