The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I remembered the word !!!
It was insecure :ahee:
Even the queen sent a PM to Murray!

Murray :woohoo:
Original post by The Epicurean
Religion or God? :holmes: I would say the two are largely separate entities :yep:

:nah:

Without God there is no religion, and without religion there is no God. :yep:

Think about it, if there was/were no God(s), what is the faith based around?
Also, if there was no religion, God wouldn't exist, being religious is believing in an entity such as God.
Original post by The Mad Dog
I'd love to see this scientific evidence against religion, as I've got tons of evidence to prove that religions exists whether the stuff religionists believe is true is another matter, however science is also like religion never 100% true.

What is there FOR religion then? :beard:

It's weird imo how if someone sees something they believe is God, everyone believes this hearsay. Whereas when it comes to Science, a theory must be proven a zillion times for it to be legit. :colonhash:
Original post by boumavilla
x

Why does it matter to you? I believe in a God. I believe one exists.
What is there FOR religion then? :beard:

It's weird imo how if someone sees something they believe is God, everyone believes this hearsay. Whereas when it comes to Science, a theory must be proven a zillion times for it to be legit. :colonhash:

Because religion as an entity exists, the Church of England, the Buddhist temples, mosques are hard evidence for religion as well as the existence of the bible, koran etc is evidence of religion existing.

Whether the stuff religionists believe is true, is as I said before is another matter.
:nah:

Without God there is no religion, and without religion there is no God. :yep:

Think about it, if there was/were no God(s), what is the faith based around?
Also, if there was no religion, God wouldn't exist, being religious is believing in an entity such as God.

Buddhism is essentially a religion without a God. And it possible to imagine a situation where a non-interventionist God exists to whom us humans are unaware of and thus no religion exists in his name.

Anyway, what I was originally referring to is that God and religion are separate. If we were to accept your proposal that "Without God there is no religion, and without religion there is no God".

Following your logic I could say:

"Without a watch there is no inventor, and without an inventor there is no watch"

A watch has to be invented. If there is no inventor to invent it, then in can surely not exist? Conversely, without the watch there is no inventor. If the watch (the invention) does not exist, then why do we call the person an inventor as they have not invented anything? And also it is logical to say that the watch and the inventor are separate entities.

In both cases, we see that God is a prerequisite for religion and an inventor a prerequisite for the watch. A religion is contingent upon the existence (or perceived existence) of a God. And like the watch, we can conclude that God and religion are separate entities.

Because religion as an entity exists, the Church of England, the Buddhist temples, mosques are hard evidence for religion as well as the existence of the bible, koran etc is evidence of religion existing.

Whether the stuff religionists believe is true, is as I said before is another matter.

Quite so :pierre:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by This Honest
Even the queen sent a PM to Murray!

Murray :woohoo:

When did the Queen start using TSR?
When did the Queen start using TSR?

Private Message

BBC news said "queen sent private message to Andy Murray" :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Why does it matter to you? I believe in a God. I believe one exists.

Because religions often have a large impact on our day-to-day lives. If a person believes religion is irrational, then is is of great concern to them that something they consider irrational has such an effect on their day to day life. For example, the Church of England bishops who currently sit in the House of Lords.

I imagine you perceive mermaids to be irrational? What would be your personal view if those seats in the House of Lords were occupied by Mermaid experts?
Because religions often have a large impact on our day-to-day lives. If a person believes religion is irrational, then is is of great concern to them that something they consider irrational has such an effect on their day to day life. For example, the Church of England bishops who currently sit in the House of Lords.

I imagine you perceive mermaids to be irrational? What would be your personal view if those seats in the House of Lords were occupied by Mermaid experts?

So... Believing in mermaids doesn't hinder your ability to do a job.

I don't understand how someone can say I'm intelligent yet stupid and irrational.

Logic dictates the lack of a God, yet natural phenomena and the world can't be explained solely by logic and science...

I don't want to discuss religion though, I rarely do here on TSR...
Original post by L'Evil Fish
So... Believing in mermaids doesn't hinder your ability to do a job.

I don't understand how someone can say I'm intelligent yet stupid and irrational.

Logic dictates the lack of a God, yet natural phenomena and the world can't be explained solely by logic and science...

I don't want to discuss religion though, I rarely do here on TSR...

It can however lead to certain biases and the creation of laws inspired by their mermaid beliefs. People who believe in mermaids may believe in stricter maritime laws or such matter which would have an effect on shipping companies.

I haven't implied you are unintelligent as that is obviously not true. But I am just defending a persons right to criticise religious peoples views as irrational and how if someone perceives it to be irrational, that the day-to-day effects it has on their life will matter to them. After all, your question was "why does it matter to you?".

Anyway, yeah, let us leave religious discussions to the TSR trolls in the religion sub-forum >_>
(edited 10 years ago)

Anyway, yeah, let us leave religious discussions to the TSR trolls in the religion sub-forum >_>

There's more trolls in this thread than in Religion.
...:nodots: I is here to clean don't mind me
^there's one right there.
:colonhash:
There's more trolls in this thread than in Religion.

What is that supposed to mean? :hmmm:
I just a
Saw a naked cat lady 0.o
It can however lead to certain biases and the creation of laws inspired by their mermaid beliefs. People who believe in mermaids may believe in stricter maritime laws or such matter which would have an effect on shipping companies.

I haven't implied you are unintelligent as that is obviously not true. But I am just defending a persons right to criticise religious peoples views as irrational and how if someone perceives it to be irrational, that the day-to-day effects it has on their life will matter to them. After all, your question was "why does it matter to you?".

:mmm: I love your analogy... But mermaids believers aren't in the majority? And if they were, then the country should serve and help the majority without completely (emphasis on completely) hindering their welfare.

Yes, but I don't like it when people outright say, there is no God. There's no use for God etc.

I don't go round saying, God exists. I say I believe in the existence of God, doesn't mean I'm right.

:teehee: yeah, I'm not an avid religious person per se but... :dontknow:
...:nodots:

Latest