Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    I disagree.

I think that they will get in the top 2.
    What have you seen to suggest that?

Chelsea and City have strengthened and Liverpool have stayed the same at best.

ReputationRep:
    Title' s going to anfield road . Fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    What have you seen to suggest that?

Chelsea and City have strengthened and Liverpool have stayed the same at best.
    Liverpool are planning to get an LB, have bought a CM and will most likely get a versatile AM.

They have the best setup when it comes to beating teams in the league which cannot be underestimated, add a bit more depth to their setup and they will be in the picture, with Can they've addressed one problem, their lack of depth in midfield, then they have a versatile AM(Lallana) and they will have enough depth. They are probably my pick for the title personally. If not then Manchester City.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool are planning to get an LB, have bought a CM and will most likely get a versatile AM.

They have the best setup when it comes to beating teams in the league which cannot be underestimated, add a bit more depth to their setup and they will be in the picture, with Can they've addressed one problem, their lack of depth in midfield, then they have a versatile AM(Lallana) and they will have enough depth. They are probably my pick for the title personally. If not then Manchester City.
    Who have they bought at CM? Did I miss that?

Also wrt "planning" we could say the same for arsenal regarding a CF, DM, LW and RB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Who have they bought at CM? Did I miss that?
    Emre Can. Highly rated german U21 international, Bayern had him, let him go because of Thiago but wanted him back as a Schweinsteigger replacement in the future.
    Also wrt "planning" we could say the same for arsenal regarding a CF, DM, LW and RB.
    We all know that you are not going to get all your targets if any personally, you'll be lucky to get a striker, we don't even know if he's in for a DM or if he's planning to play Wilshere deeper(he said he sees him as a DLP e.g.).

All I see you getting is a RB personally and whatever quality player you can bargain for on deadline day.

ReputationRep:
    Emre Can. Highly rated german U21 international, Bayern had him, let him go because of Thiago but wanted him back as a Schweinsteigger replacement in the future.

We all know that you are not going to get all your targets if any personally, you'll be lucky to get a striker, we don't even know if he's in for a DM or if he's planning to play Wilshere deeper(he said he sees him as a DLP e.g.).

All I see you getting is a RB personally and whatever quality player you can bargain for on deadline day.
    My point was it is all conjecture at this point until deals are done (wasn't aware of Can though). If we get a RB and only a RB Wenger has to walk tbh...

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

I get you disagree lol I just wanted to know why but I guess you explained to pete

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Title' s going to anfield road . Fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If Suarez stays then yeah, but with all the speculation it does seem like he's leaving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

If you finish outside the top 2, that will be a joke with your squad, Jose should be fired for anything less than 2nd. I know underplaying your odds is the thing with Chelsea these days but that's a title winning squad, and with the players you have flexibility in how to play.

I'd rate Liverpool as good for 3rd. Still haven't address their main issue which is the fact they concede too many goals, until that happens they are dependant upon keeping the scoring up. In the cases of both strikers, both have very difficult seasons to replicate. If they finish higher than that its a failure of a season from either Chelsea or City, unacceptable for either of them with the squads and managers.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

Classic under-sell

We've strengthened the most so far, assuming Costa deal goes through and we keep hold of Lukaku. Imagine having those two (or probably either one) and Fabregas last season, we would have finished above Liverpool for sure.

Liverpool still need to sort out the defence.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I really don't see Liverpool challenging next year or coming higher than 3rd.
    Neither do I, but there's plenty of time to change that. If they sign a couple of competent defenders they're as good as anyone. Question will be how well Brenton handles Europe, especially if they get a ''group of death''. He's never really had to rotate his squad before.

Still think it's two from us, Arsenal and Liverpool. Chelsea & City are streets ahead of anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    If you finish outside the top 2, that will be a joke with your squad, Jose should be fired for anything less than 2nd. I know underplaying your odds is the thing with Chelsea these days but that's a title winning squad, and with the players you have flexibility in how to play.
    Liverpool imo I think will get between 85-90 points this season. I still think they have the best setup in terms of the league, similar to United's setup under Fergie. They've added some midfielders and have depth in the striker position now. I would say that anything under 85 points for City is a failure and Chelsea. But I think City can get somewhere close to the record if they click, Liverpool could potentially get 90 points too.

Our fixture list isn't the greatest as well, think we have away games vs the top 4 after CL matches or something like that... if we can get through that bit of the season, then the title is a possibility.
    I'd rate Liverpool as good for 3rd. Still haven't address their main issue which is the fact they concede too many goals, until that happens they are dependant upon keeping the scoring up. In the cases of both strikers, both have very difficult seasons to replicate. If they finish higher than that its a failure of a season from either Chelsea or City, unacceptable for either of them with the squads and managers.
    I think that having Gerrard as the DM with little protection is what is causing them to concede so much. Henderson burst forward a lot which gives him a lot of work to do defensively, this is obviously where Can comes in. He'll play alongside Henderson and will probably be more defensive. Henderson to me seems like he can have a Ramsey style season next year, he gets into good positions and has scored a few good goals.

I don't think Sturridge has too much difficulty replicating, he's been in an RVP style streak for 18 months and will get a proper pre-season again and a good rest since England were knocked out early. As long as he is not injured, he will get 20 league goals. I don't think they'll change their attacking style too.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool to finish 5th.

ReputationRep:
    City
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Utd
    Everton
    Spurs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Liverpool to finish 5th.
    I think we'll do much better next season, this is the friendliest fixture list we've had in a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I think we'll do much better next season, this is the friendliest fixture list we've had in a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea the fixture list i good, esp the spread of the big games and the lack of a March cliff for the first time in years. The way I see it, Arsenal nearly always improve with a settled team and last season we managed 79 points. Not saying we're going to be good against the big sides, but we surely do better and we're obviously unbelievable flat track bullies. All this with players like Walcott out for basically the entire season(think this was crucial in our big game poverty last season as Theo is our big game player tbh) and a ridiculous injury record generally. If we keep a fit squad and have the, realistic, window I think we'll have then 80-87 should be our target. The title is obviously a long shot but it's not out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)

couldn't agree more with the entirity of this post.

chelsea should be embarrased about finishing 3rd last season.
    them and city are so far ahead of everybody else, it's ridiculous when you look at their squad depth.

i agree; 3rd is the highest i'm expecting (would be nice to trump arsenal again), but i'm very happy with 4th.
    as you said, the only way we would finish higher is if chelsea/city have a big, big mess up.

people shouldn't expect too much from us next season (i'm talking to you jam). we just happened to have a team that gelled really well last season, and we weren't hindered by europe; is will be very different in the season to come.

however, it would be dangerous to underestimate us again.
    we surprised everybody last season with a somewhat mediocre side if i'm honest.
    now we have the money to improve both the quality and depth of our team, so anything could happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    couldn't agree more with the entirity of this post.

chelsea should be embarrased about finishing 3rd last season.
    them and city are so far ahead of everybody else, it's ridiculous when you look at their squad depth.

i agree; 3rd is the highest i'm expecting (would be nice to trump arsenal again), but i'm very happy with 4th.
    as you said, the only way we would finish higher is if chelsea/city have a big, big mess up.

people shouldn't expect too much from us next season (i'm talking to you jam). we just happened to have a team that gelled really well last season, and we weren't hindered by europe; is will be very different in the season to come.

however, it would be dangerous to underestimate us again.
    we surprised everybody last season with a somewhat mediocre side if i'm honest.
    now we have the money to improve both the quality and depth of our team, so anything could happen.
    Why should Chelsea be embarrassed to finish 3rd?

It wasn't good enough, but City clearly had the strongest team, while Chelsea were lacking in key positions, our striker and a creative CM. Liverpool also have the best setup in the league by a distance. On top of this actually making a challenge for the CL rather than the other teams pitiful attempts at a CL campaign affected our league form predictably.

If we decided to just let ourselves get knocked out by Galatasaray like Demichelis and Szcechny did we'd have won the league but since we actually bother with europe and don't want to be whipping boys like the rest of the lot and increase the coefficients we actually had to do well. It's affected our league challenges the past 3 years and we play the most games in a season compared to the other teams.

When a team works overtime and another team has half days and inset days it's unfair to compare their performances. Especially when you consider the high intensity and work rate needed for Chelsea's philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    Also add to that Liverpools squad last season is no worse than the United team that won the title two seasons ago, in fact you can see glaring similarities between the squad.

Good strike force, dodgy defence and mediocre midfield. You'd have said that for both teams. Which is why I say that Liverpool have the best setup for the league, United have been doing this for years and it works year on year. I don't see why it won't be the same for Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    Why should Chelsea be embarrassed to finish 3rd?

It's not good enough, but City clearly had the strongest team, while Chelsea were lacking in key positions, our striker and a creative CM. On top of this actually making a challenge for the CL rather than the other teams pitiful attempts at a CL campaign affected our league form predictably.

If we decided to just let ourselves get knocked out by Galatasaray like Demichelis and Szcechny did we'd have won the league but since we actually bother with europe and don't want to be whipping boys like the rest of the lot and increase the coefficients we actually had to do well. It's affected our league challenges the past 3 years and we play the most games in a season compared to the other teams.

When a team works overtime and another team has half days and inset days it's unfair to compare their performances.
    Well the PL is way behind atm and Chelsea are the only team prepared to play uber-negative football from the last 16 onwards to compensate. Dont see how getting to the Semis that way is better than giving it a go against Bayern/Barca in the last 16 like the other English sides did. You might argue that the other English clubs fly the flag for a brand of football which wont inspire ridicule from the continentals.

And in all honesty Gala/Psg is a very straightforward route to the Semis and A.Madrid had few problems against you.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.