The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8920
Original post by Stalin
Is this supposed to be a 'wtf do we do if Kos, Gibbs, Monreal and Giroud are out' formation?

Szczesny
Bellerin Flamini Mertesacker Chambers
Arteta Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Alexis
Welbeck

Could even switch Alexis and Walcott in order to give Bellerin a bit more cover if we're playing against a decent outfit.

Has never played a professional game for Arsenal, name being thrown around in here like he will walk into the starting XI.

but that's none of my business.

inb4 but chambers doe
Original post by swarly
Has never played a professional game for Arsenal, name being thrown around in here like he will walk into the starting XI.

but that's none of my business.

inb4 but chambers doe

Three things:

(1) He'll replace Debuchy as our first choice RB in a few of years.

(2) He has to play a professional game at some point.

(3) It's a lot ****ing better than playing a 3-5-2, with Walcott as a full-back and Arteta as sole cover for the back four.
Reply 8922
Original post by Stalin
Three things:

(1) He'll replace Debuchy as our first choice RB in a few of years.

(2) He has to play a professional game at some point.

(3) It's a lot ****ing better than playing a 3-5-2, with Walcott as a WING-back (FB and WB are different roles tbh) and Arteta as sole cover for the back four.

1. speculative

2. speculative

3. speculative
Original post by swarly
1. speculative

2. speculative

3. speculative

Strong contribution.

With all the time on your hands couldn't you construct* a better post?

Struggling to identify these dupes, who are you again
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by swarly

Read his post properly. They don't have anyone else...
Original post by AnharM
Yeah, alright Ali, like you know any better than me about football :rolleyes:
Everyone has different opinions, learn to accept them instead of lashing out when others think differently you fool.

As with Hazard failing to turn up on the big stage, didn't Robben FAIL to score in a 1v1 situation in the World Cup Final 2010? He scores a jammy 90th minute goal against Dortmund in the CL Final, and suddenly he turns up in big matches? The same player that missed a crucial penalty in the CL 2012 Final at his own ground? Robben had so many chances, and he's a lot more experienced, being 30 years old, while Hazard is 23 years old. Hazard didn't turn up in his first World Cup, did Ronaldo or Costa turn up in the tournament? So why is Costa suddenly one of the best strikers in the world, but Hazard can't be compared to the likes of the top wingers? Hazard didn't turn up in the knock out stages of the CL, that's only because he wasn't fully fit. The only time he was fully fit was against PSG away, and he scored a penalty and hit the post in that game, so clearly he was dangerous in that game, and you probably don't even remember Hazard hitting the post. That's why he came off in the 2nd leg, Mourinho clearly knowing Hazard wasn't fit to play such an important match. You probably also don't remember Chelsea dominating that first leg, in which we eventually lost 3-1.

He doesn't turn up in big matches, wasn't Man City v Chelsea last season a big match? Didn't he turn up then? Wasn't Chelsea v Liverpool a big match last season? Didn't he turn up then? What about the UEFA Super Cup when Hazard scored against Bayern, didn't he turn up then? He is more than capable of turning up if the opportunity was given. I have no doubt he'll prove it, you're just a clear Chelsea hater. You don't watch Hazard play every weekend like I do. He created bags of chances for the other players, but clearly he is no Ribery, Bale or Robben... :rolleyes:

Sorry for acting like a ****, you're right it is just an opinion but football gets me infuriated at times.
Would also say that Robben bottled a pen vs Dortmund in 2012 that could have put them back in the title race, they lost the title because of it and Bayern wanted Robben out, to the point he was booed by his own supporters.
Reply 8927
It's Champions League day! :biggrin:
Original post by sr90
Bellerin is a youth product of Barca's La Masia, not Arsenal.

Bit harsh to solely credit Barca as well. He's been at Arsenal since he was 16 so comfortably counts as home grown and it is at Arsenal he has had his most important development, converting from a winger to defender.
looking forward to tonight..

Both teams have bad injuries, and after last season I am expecting it to be a little un-predictable..

My brian says that dortmund will have just a little to much and it will be 2-1 to them, leaving the job for us to do back home..

But after last season, I would not be surprised to see a win or draw..

My pediction will be 1-1

( result arsenal should be happy with)
Nah but seriously. We're gonna start with:

Bellerin/Per/Kos/Gibbs at the back,

God forbid but say one of them gets injured during the game and has to be taken off then what happens? Huh? Huh? There's no one else!
not 100% up to date on injuries, but would like to see (as much as is injury free) a team like this play tonight:

Szezc
chambers - mert - kos - gibbs (are these 4 fit? I loose track..)
Flamini
Sanchez - Wilshire - ozil - Ox
Welbeck.

Ox + gibbs on that wing, would make me so much more confidence then ozil+monreal, and hopefully solidify that side up a bit..

+ Ox can (i know wenger wants him to play central) put in a really good shift on that side..

Feel like ramsey needs a game off, he has not been in great form, and having a rest, maybe coming off the bench just if we need a goal, would be my choice..

especially as it gives ozil a chance to play in the centre, and make up for last game.. (if he looks lacking though, can be substituted out for ramsey)
How long is Monreal out for? Cos I don't remember the last time Gibbs made it through a full 90 minutes without getting injured so LB could end up being a real problem.
Original post by fallen_acorns
not 100% up to date on injuries, but would like to see (as much as is injury free) a team like this play tonight:

Szezc
chambers - mert - kos - gibbs (are these 4 fit? I loose track..)
Flamini
Sanchez - Wilshire - ozil - Ox
Welbeck.

Ox + gibbs on that wing, would make me so much more confidence then ozil+monreal, and hopefully solidify that side up a bit..

+ Ox can (i know wenger wants him to play central) put in a really good shift on that side..

Feel like ramsey needs a game off, he has not been in great form, and having a rest, maybe coming off the bench just if we need a goal, would be my choice..

especially as it gives ozil a chance to play in the centre, and make up for last game.. (if he looks lacking though, can be substituted out for ramsey)

Chambers has tonsillitis. Bellerin will start.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

eek.. did not know that..

Hope he is back for the weekend, as I have him in fantasy football...

+ really happy to see Bellerin get game time, people seem to have high hopes for him.

I just wish it did not come in such a big game as dortmund away..

Still I guess sometimes players can flourish when thrown in the deep end
Original post by EmperorMustard
Bit harsh to solely credit Barca as well. He's been at Arsenal since he was 16 so comfortably counts as home grown and it is at Arsenal he has had his most important development, converting from a winger to defender.

I think if a player moves to a club at a young age before making his professional debut, then subsequently breaks into the first team, the buying club undoubtedly had an impact on his development. Arsenal obviously helped develop Szczesny & Fabregas and we've helped players like Rafael, Januzaj and Pogba.

However to say he's ''yet another Arsenal academy product'' is exaggerating things a bit.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

The Guardian's reporting that Flamini will start at RB.
Original post by sr90
I think if a player moves to a club at a young age before making his professional debut, then subsequently breaks into the first team, the buying club undoubtedly had an impact on his development. Arsenal obviously helped develop Szczesny & Fabregas and we've helped players like Rafael, Januzaj and Pogba.

However to say he's ''yet another Arsenal academy product'' is exaggerating things a bit.

Wrt Cesc Arsenal did 90% of the player development there. But otherwise I agree.
hmm I see a draw today tbh.

You lot have quite a few injuries looking at it. You will be using a makeshift defence and the midfield will be struggling without too many players to come off the bench. Where is Rosicky btw? Think he'll be useful to have off the bench.

Despite that, Dortmund have a lot of key injuries too so it'll probably be a stalemate. Arsenal and Dortmund however both have depth I'll stick my neck out to say that it'll be a goal fest, 3-3 possibly I see.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8939
Original post by Stalin
The Guardian's reporting that Flamini will start at RB.

suddenly my formation doesn't even look that far out there:colonhash:

Latest