Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Nice to see Robertson having difficulty with 40+35x2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Interesting yougov poll suggesting that 73% of Brits belive that being principled is more important than being electable.
    then they proceed to only vote for candidates who make themselves electable, and hate on unelectable candidates
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Congratulations, you're more numerate than the leader of the SNP in Westminster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, that was a bit more decisive than I expected

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Interesting point of order at the end there that whilst the 2007 Trident motion carried a majority of 248, this time the majority increased to 355.

Labour had 48 MPs voting against, whilst 45 abstained.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Angela's run is over. She's been writing for the Sun.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I'd say Angela's run is over. She's been writing for the Sun.
    And the mirror. The sun is hardly the telegraph, there should be plenty of labour people reading it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Congratulations, you're more numerate than the leader of the SNP in Westminster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In their defence, they're Scottish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And the mirror. The sun is hardly the telegraph, there should be plenty of labour people reading it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say the Sun is perhaps the most hated paper amongst the Labour membership. You have to remember that unlike our voters, we're talking mainly middle-class, university educated liberal lefties. They can accept a difference of opinion on economics, but the scandal over Hillsbrough, phone hacking, Murdoch ownership and Page Three are absolutely abhorrent to them. There was very significant backlash just to Miliband being pictured with their back page before the last World Cup.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I'd say the Sun is perhaps the most hated paper amongst the Labour membership. You have to remember that unlike our voters, we're talking mainly middle-class, university educated liberal lefties. They can accept a difference of opinion on economics, but the scandal over Hillsbrough, phone hacking, Murdoch ownership and Page Three are absolutely abhorrent to them. There was very significant backlash just to Miliband being pictured with their back page before the last World Cup.
    And people said I was mad to suggest Labour members are mentally deficient.

ReputationRep:
    And people said I was mad to suggest Labour members are mentally deficient.
    Far from mentally deficient, but definitely not the same demographic as Labour voters which obviously isn't ideal.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Labour leadership voting intention:
    J. Corbyn: 54%
    A. Eagle: 21%
    O. Smith: 15%
    (via YouGov / 15 - 18 Jul)
    Lab members eligible to vote only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Nuclear weapons may be inherently monstrous, but so long as dangerous or unpredictable regimes possess them, they are a necessary countermeasure for dealing with such regimes.

There is no contradiction really
    Yet the only country to have ever used them on civilians was the USA.

It is a contradiction to complain about other countries developing their nicked weapons, threatening to wage war on them while at the same time ensuring we have them.*

If they're so awful, let's get rid of ours then. If we want them then stop complaining about others wanting them.

Personally I'm in favour of everyone getting rid of them but let's have a bit of consistency for once.

* It's a catastrophic waste of money for little more than a **** measuring contest.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Yet the only country to have ever used them on civilians was the USA.

It is a contradiction to complain about other countries developing their nicked weapons, threatening to wage war on them while at the same time ensuring we have them.*

If they're so awful, let's get rid of ours then.

It's a catastrophic waste of money for little more than a **** measuring contest.
    Game theory my man, nuclear deterrence is merely the prisoners dilemma, unless you can be certain that everybody else is disarming entirely it makes no sense to disarm entirely. There is a reason that disarmament is a few percent of stockpiles at a time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I see Theresa was acting all billy big balls today announcing emphatically that she would happily kill 100,000 civilians.
    Amazing how that line is now apparently 'the centre ground'.

Question is can anyone actually ever imagine a scenario in which she would? I really can't, no matter how tough she tries to act.

The only argument for keeping trident that appeals to me is the jobs argument but that wasn't strong enough to convince me we need them.*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I see Theresa was acting all billy big balls today announcing emphatically that she would happily kill 100,000 civilians.
    Amazing how that line is now apparently 'the centre ground'.

Question is can anyone actually ever imagine a scenario in which she would? I really can't, no matter how tough she tries to act.

The only argument for keeping trident that appeals to me is the jobs argument but that wasn't strong enough to convince me we need them.*
    Ummm, it's called making the deterrence credible...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh look, another "refugee" integrating perfectly with civilisation...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-many-injured/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh look, another "refugee" integrating perfectly with civilisation...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-many-injured/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    gotta love that cultural enrichment

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, it's called making the deterrence credible...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which is logically flawed because if we ever had to use trident as May says she would, then it would have failed as a deterrent, it's entire justification.*

ReputationRep:
    Labour leadership voting intention:
    J. Corbyn: 54%
    A. Eagle: 21%
    O. Smith: 15%
    (via YouGov / 15 - 18 Jul)
    Lab members eligible to vote only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wonder what the figures are now Angela Eagle has withdrawn.

Conservatives led by a woman
    Plaid Cymru led by a woman
    SNP led by a woman
    Greens led by a woman
    DUP led by a woman
    UKIP leadership election likely to have at least one woman as a candidate. *
    So it is only the Lib Dems and Labour who have never had a woman leader and do not seem likely to have one in the near future.*

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.