Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsMad)
    Hiya, I really need some help with AS grades xD any advice would be really appreciated!!

I had a really tough year for personal reasons, so I only took 2 AS 's -

Maths - D
    Music - A

I'm planning on retaking maths, and i'm doing the linear English A Level. I got 11 A*'s at GCSE and I've always been told I could make it to Oxbridge and that's the dream, but apparently you have to declare your old AS grade even if you retake a subject? I might apply for PPE at Oxford (yep idealistic I know) and i'm worried that the old 'D' grade will affect my chances of getting in or even getting an interview. Please help! Will they care, if I get an A when I retake? i've literally always been the ultimate nerd really dedicated to studying and i had one bad year and this happens :'( :'( :'(

hope y'all did well! x

Edit: I'm taking a gap year so i'm not applying to university until i have all my final A Level results, if that makes any difference
    Hi,

I don't think that you should be too worried. As long as you retake the module and do well in it, then many Universities may disregard the first attempt.

Since you said that you had some personal problems, I will suggest that you get a medical certificate or something that you can show as evidence that you were not at your best for the first maths attempt.

If you attach the extenuating circumstances to your academic record and mention it on your Personal Statement, I don't think that Universities will frown upon it, if you made up for it and did well on your second attempt.

To get the best response, i suggest that you contact your potential universities with this and seek their opinion about it. So that you will have the most realistic opinion on your chances, especially at Oxbridge.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get in my firm, is it worth ringing them up? Also I'm not sure of what to say, can anyone give advice?

ReputationRep:
    Not happy with my AS grades. Might drop out of sixth form and go to college

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just for info purposes - My daughter just had her UCAS track updated and has been accepted into Durham for Geophysics - her offer was AAB and her grades were ABB (but she was only one ums mark off an A on one of the Bs) so Durham are just taking there time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Is it very difficult to change courses at uni?

A uni has offered me a different course which i do like but i would prefer to do law. Can you change courses or is it better to go to another uni and do study law and try and transfer to SOAS in the second year?
    Depends entirely on the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffKate)
    What is your current method of studying/revising?
    Notes, flashcards and some past papers. I think that I did a lot of work for my AS, but it can't have been that effective

ReputationRep:
    lol was expecting at most 4 c at AS level for three sciences and math's the way the exams went, but because the grade boundary's were so low I got 4A, do you think I could get an unconditional offer for civil engineering/how do I try ?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else done a ridiculously worse in than expected in LIT?

All of my class have done terribly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffKate)
    What is your current method of studying/revising?

Notes, flashcards and some past papers. I think that I did a lot of work for my AS, but it can't have been that effective

ReputationRep:
    So, anyone coming to Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Is it very difficult to change courses at uni?

A uni has offered me a different course which i do like but i would prefer to do law. Can you change courses or is it better to go to another uni and do study law and try and transfer to SOAS in the second year?
    It's very much at the discretion of the university. Some universities are happy to let you transfer into another subject if there aren't too many people on the course but it's not guaranteed. Personally, I wouldn't wager on a switch in subject if you don't actually want to do the course that you've been offered as if you're stuck with it, you're paying £9k a year for something you're not actually as passionate about.

(Original post by emiloujess)
    Aberystwyth has just released me I have a Clearing number!! For some reason though BU's system can't see that I'm in Clearing and they told me to phone back at 1pm. I'm actually sort of happy now because I'm one step closer. Still a way to go though!
    Yessss, we're slowly getting there. Glad to hear things are starting to move for you now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyjane_x)
    I didn't get in my firm, is it worth ringing them up? Also I'm not sure of what to say, can anyone give advice?
    Nope. Once they've rejected then they've considered you and decided they don't have any options for you. You'd be better using your time to prepare for whatever comes next.

(Original post by emiloujess)
    Aberystwyth has just released me I have a Clearing number!! For some reason though BU's system can't see that I'm in Clearing and they told me to phone back at 1pm. I'm actually sort of happy now because I'm one step closer. Still a way to go though!
    Woo! Good luck and happy hunting!

ReputationRep:
    is it worth getting a maths paper remarked im one mark off an A i already have my place at uni just wondering if maths marks usually change because its either right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)
    Not happy with my AS grades. Might drop out of sixth form and go to college

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did you do? I went to sixth form in my first year and college for A2 and I didn't end up doing any better or worse. Only you know what is best for you, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helfus)
    Anyone else done a ridiculously worse in than expected?

i done horrible pretty much got CDDD which just destroyed by confidence

ReputationRep:
    millions of lives are changing in one day, for the better and the worse, this is incredible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyjane_x)
    I didn't get into mine and seeing as mine are in clearing they said they'd reconsider my application....

didn't get in again but worth a try xD

ReputationRep:
    Got 2 As at AS in Drama and Maths.

Our school is half way through the reforms so my other two subjects (Chem and bio) are linear courses.

Can't decide which one out of drama and maths to drop. I'm applying for medicine. Enjoy both courses equally. C3 and C4 scares me though - already struggling. Predicted A in Maths and A* in Drama.

Eeeek what do I do?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helfus)
    Anyone else done a ridiculously worse in than expected?

At least it's across your entire class. Have a look at methods of learning outside of the classroom - maybe using your teacher as a starting point and then taking independence in your learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admirableyellow)
    is it worth getting a maths paper remarked im one mark off an A i already have my place at uni just wondering if maths marks usually change because its either right or wrong.
    I wouldn't remark it if you already have your place at uni.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.