Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been sent anything since recieving their offer?

Just curious to whether I should be expecting something soon or not until summer time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by soutioirsim)

Just curious to whether I should be expecting something soon or not until summer time.
    Not I. I expect we'll have to wait until results day, but some colleges might send something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Not I. I expect we'll have to wait until results day, but some colleges might send something
    Fair enough, I'm just kinda hoping for some summer work (...Or another acknowledgement that my offer was not a mistake!)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Fair enough, I'm just kinda hoping for some summer work (...Or another acknowledgement that my offer was not a mistake!)
    Hmm, summer work is a good point. Other than results day, I reckon the time to expect further communication might be the deadline for choosing firm & insurance

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, summer work is a good point. Other than results day, I reckon the time to expect further communication might be the deadline for choosing firm & insurance
    I agree. As for summer work, not that I plan to start any sooner than summer getting the grades comes first but if you want to start already, check the background reading list on the CompLab site, if I remember right, you're applying for maths&compsci right?

ReputationRep:

My offer letter says I'll receive information "in due course." Which I assume means after results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    My offer letter says I'll receive information "in due course." Which I assume means after results day.
    Well, if you're really keen to get cracking, I can recommend a few books ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    Well, if you're really keen to get cracking, I can recommend a few books ...
    If you could recommend some that don't cost £250, I'd be very grateful.

Especially for books useful for the first year, I bought some books on legal philosophy, but if I'm right, that's not even studied until the second year :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    If you could recommend some that don't cost £250, I'd be very grateful.

Especially for books useful for the first year, I bought some books on legal philosophy, but if I'm right, that's not even studied until the second year :facepalm:
    You are right but fortunately legal philosophy books don't really go out of date.

I was only joking really, but since you ask ...

Roman law was my favourite Mods subject, and you should be able to get the best introductory textbook secondhand: Barry Nicholas' An Introduction to Roman Law. It doesn't matter which edition you get, though the Metzger edition does have a few extras you might find useful. I see it's on Amazon for £8; you might as well buy it as you will almost certainly want your own copy when you are studying the course. There are a couple of others which you wouldn't actually want to buy, but if you can get them through your library and are interested you might like to try them - Crook's Law and Life of Rome and Johnston's Roman Law in Context spring to mind.

I'm not sure what to recommend for introductory stuff on Criminal and Constitutional. You might want to try something generally on the Constitution if you haven't done Politics before, such as Vernon Bogdanor's The New British Constitution (which I still haven't read, but I hear it's very good) - you should be able to order that through your library I should think.

If anything further comes to mind I will edit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    You are right but fortunately legal philosophy books don't really go out of date.

I was only joking really, but since you ask ...

Roman law was my favourite Mods subject, and you should be able to get the best introductory textbook secondhand: Barry Nicholas' An Introduction to Roman Law. It doesn't matter which edition you get, though the Metzger edition does have a few extras you might find useful. I see it's on Amazon for £8; you might as well buy it as you will almost certainly want your own copy when you are studying the course. There are a couple of others which you wouldn't actually want to buy, but if you can get them through your library and are interested you might like to try them - Crook's Law and Life of Rome and Johnston's Roman Law in Context spring to mind.

I'm not sure what to recommend for introductory stuff on Criminal and Constitutional. You might want to try something generally on the Constitution if you haven't done Politics before, such as Vernon Bogdanor's The New British Constitution (which I still haven't read, but I hear it's very good) - you should be able to order that through your library I should think.

If anything further comes to mind I will edit!
    Thank you very much Once I'm done reading the books I have in my queue, I'll grab them (they've been added to my wish list.)

Tried to +1, but I've reached the limit

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much Once I'm done reading the books I have in my queue, I'll grab them (they've been added to my wish list.)

Tried to +1, but I've reached the limit
    Np, glad to help. But honestly do make sure you enjoy your gap year/summer anyway ...
    Just shows you've found more than five repworthy posts already, which can only be a good thing
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lalaberlin)
    I agree. As for summer work, not that I plan to start any sooner than summer getting the grades comes first but if you want to start already, check the background reading list on the CompLab site, if I remember right, you're applying for maths&compsci right?
    Yep, maths & CS - well remembered

And thanks for reminding me about that list, I had been meaning to check out some of the books on it but had forgotten. I don't really want to start doing anything solely for university preparation at the moment either, but if I'm going to be reading books anyway, the list serves well for recommendations

ReputationRep:

I got a reading list type thing a couple of days ago if that's what you mean. There was one letter from the economics tutor and one from the management tutor (doing E&M) just saying welcome, there'll be an "enormous" amount of reading in the course and listing some stuff we'll be reading in the first term.

(There was a huge list of articles and chapters from books (for the management part) which they said is less than one eighth of the term's reading. I've just realised that one eighth of a term is only a week )

ReputationRep:
    Yep, maths & CS - well remembered

And thanks for reminding me about that list, I had been meaning to check out some of the books on it but had forgotten. I don't really want to start doing anything solely for university preparation at the moment either, but if I'm going to be reading books anyway, the list serves well for recommendations
    True but I really can't make my mind up about which one to buy, I'm not from UK, which means that our local libraries aren't much help thank god there's amazon.. but I'm not going to start purchasing all the books it would be helpful if someone could for example point out which of the 3 books on discrete maths we should read, etc. so if you happen to read some subject related books which you consider to be very useful or interesting, tell me

(Original post by rev_pain)
    I got a reading list type thing a couple of days ago if that's what you mean. There was one letter from the economics tutor and one from the management tutor (doing E&M) just saying welcome, there'll be an "enormous" amount of reading in the course and listing some stuff we'll be reading in the first term.

(There was a huge list of articles and chapters from books (for the management part) which they said is less than one eighth of the term's reading. I've just realised that one eighth of a term is only a week )
    that is really scary :s and I was sincerely looking forward to my summer holidays

ReputationRep:
    that is really scary :s and I was sincerely looking forward to my summer holidays
    haha, I wouldn't worry. The letter also said " I do NOT require any pre-reading" so it's just in case you want to go prepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)

Fair enough, at least you now have like 6/7 months to get started on it! :p:

I guess different colleges send out different things at different times.

That does seem very frightening though...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    True but I really can't make my mind up about which one to buy, I'm not from UK, which means that our local libraries aren't much help thank god there's amazon.. but I'm not going to start purchasing all the books it would be helpful if someone could for example point out which of the 3 books on discrete maths we should read, etc. so if you happen to read some subject related books which you consider to be very useful or interesting, tell me
    I'll let you know if I pick one of them up
    I reckon E&M probably requires more reading than CS

ReputationRep:
    I reckon E&M probably requires more reading than CS
    I reckon History & English requires more reading than both of those put together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAR12)
    I reckon History & English requires more reading than both of those put together
    Poor you but then again, if you're applying for History&English, your tutors (and I) would suppose that you like to read whereas tutors of computer science would expect their applicants to have the attitude "iih books"

ReputationRep:
    has anyone replied to UCAS yet? My last offer/rejection has not arrived yet so I havent. but i want to reply! has anyone have the same problem as me?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.