Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
CanHeTell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi!
Can remember what the list thing you've all been doing looks like but...

Subject: History and Politics
College: erm... it's soooo difficult to pick one... they all seem amazing! But I think Corpus Christi, Balliol or Worcester (ducks!)
GCSEs: 6A*s 6.5 As (really proud of that 0.5 GCSE!)
AS: English Lit, History, Government and Politics, Philosophy (haven't got any results yet but hoping for 4 As)

I think I'm the only History & Politics that I've seen here... Other history people are you going to the open day thing on the 2nd Sep? I can't go to the open days in July but am going to that one.

I also visited Oxford last week. Family friend is in 1st year of doing Theology so she offered to show us round some colleges. 15 in one day! It was amazing! Definatly put me off staying more out of town... i was looking at St Hughs but it's so far away and there's so much green space in town (reason I was looking out of town in first place).

I'm slightly worried about the PS. I think if I get an interview I can let my greeky side go mad and talk about the various realated things I'm interested in and it would go better.

What are other history people planning to read? I thinking of relating it to stuff I've studied this year (Stuided Communist China in history so The Communist Manifesto) to show extra work etc. as well as focusing on what i'm exclusively interested in (Modern European History!!!!)...

Sorry it's so long... just finished my last exam and so am very happy!
loz876
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CanHeTell)
Just curious... how do you get half a GCSE :lol:?
LtCommanderData
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by loz876)
Just curious... how do you get half a GCSE :lol:?
Probably a short course
loz876
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LtCommanderData)
Probably a short course
ahh I see. Thanks!
pieceofheaven
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
good luck guys! if you're a medic please pm me if you need info on the admissions process. i remember all the excitement.... :ahee: X
Niki_girl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CanHeTell)
Hi!
Can remember what the list thing you've all been doing looks like but...

Subject: History and Politics
College: erm... it's soooo difficult to pick one... they all seem amazing! But I think Corpus Christi, Balliol or Worcester (ducks!)
AS: English Lit, History, Government and Politics, Philosophy (haven't got any results yet but hoping for 4 As)

I think I'm the only History & Politics that I've seen here... Other history people are you going to the open day thing on the 2nd Sep? I can't go to the open days in July but am going to that one.

I also visited Oxford last week. Family friend is in 1st year of doing Theology so she offered to show us round some colleges. 15 in one day! It was amazing! Definatly put me off staying more out of town... i was looking at St Hughs but it's so far away and there's so much green space in town (reason I was looking out of town in first place).

I'm slightly worried about the PS. I think if I get an interview I can let my greeky side go mad and talk about the various realated things I'm interested in and it would go better.

What are other history people planning to read? I thinking of relating it to stuff I've studied this year (Stuided Communist China in history so The Communist Manifesto) to show extra work etc. as well as focusing on what i'm exclusively interested in (Modern European History!!!!)...

Sorry it's so long... just finished my last exam and so am very happy!

I'll probably be reading random History stuff relating to what I studied, so anything around the areas of modern German History (we study from 1933-45, might read a bit before and after this) and some more on the history of Anglo-Irish relations (particularly from 1798-1921) as that's also what we study - then perhaps relate it back to the modern "troubles" in Ireland, c. 1980s - present day

I remember that "Last exam" feeling :rolleyes: - it's vanished now, especially as I'm returning as Year 13 tomorrow :eek:

I'm going to the open day on the 7th of July...but I'm not too hopeful after my AS exams, have to wait until results day to find out! I'll be looking around St.Johns, Worcester, especially and loads of the other colleges, since they're all so nice!
tohuwabohu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is a neg-stalker following you! :lolwut:
(Original post by Niki_girl)
Glad that someone else feels the same!

I genuinely don't care about being given negative reputation any more, it doesn't mean anything now because I seem to randomly get -rep whatever I say! Either way, I'm here for spreading the +rep wherever possible!

(I can't give you more +rep as I apparently gave it to you too recently )
tohuwabohu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The neg-stalker! Aaaaah! He/She negged me! :eek3:
Edit: aaaw, thanks for the +rep!
catlover14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by flywithemma)
Just making sure you know...the Bridge of Sighs isn't in New, it's in Hertford.

EDIT: ok, why the neg? I'm sorry, I was just making you aware in case you were basing your decision on that or something :getmecoat:
oh Thank you- no it isn't really a big factor for me- I have read about all of the colleges so many times I get them confused
catlover14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phia7)
The neg-stalker! Aaaaah! He/She negged me! :eek3:
Edit: aaaw, thanks for the +rep!
I got negative feedback once for saying I had a shower once every other day on a thread called "How often do you shower" which I thought was funny
catlover14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
i did looooooads of researching in year 9/10 but then i kind've realised that i shouldn't end up getting my hopes up too high
Yes I don't want to get my hopes up either- but it's so hard not to when I read about it
catlover14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bright Lights)
Ah yeah, I get that, its harder when you can't just get the train down. But yeah, it's so gorgeous, I'm completely in love with it, which isn't the best position to be in because there's a ~7% chance I'll get in, and of that tiny shot, a 20% chance I'll get pooled somewhere else.
Good decision though, great minds think alike.
Well I think it's good to think positively but I think I will be just as happy if I get into Edinburgh or Durham (two of the other universities I am applying for)- there's always one or two people from my school every year who go to Oxbridge though so hopefully I can be one of them
MeeMee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KatherineGiddins)
Well I think it's good to think positively but I think I will be just as happy if I get into Edinburgh or Durham (two of the other universities I am applying for)- there's always one or two people from my school every year who go to Oxbridge though so hopefully I can be one of them
I know of only two people from my school who have ever gotten into Oxbridge, LSE and the likes (haha so really just Cambridge and LSE even though I think there is someone who does a postgrad degree at Oxford), but then I'm German, so very few people apply. But anyway, what I really want to say is that I agree with you about being that person . Somebody has to get in after all, so why can't it just be me?
tohuwabohu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MeeMee)
I know of only two people from my school who have ever gotten into Oxbridge, LSE and the likes (haha so really just Cambridge and LSE even though I think there is someone who does a postgrad degree at Oxford), but then I'm German, so very few people apply. But anyway, what I really want to say is that I agree with you about being that person . Somebody has to get in after all, so why can't it just be me?

Yes I don't want to get my hopes up either- but it's so hard not to when I read about it

:ditto: (except I don't know anyone from my school who studied in the UK. Although I suppose someone must have. I think.)
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i've just realised if i want to get anywhere with life i should really stop lurking these forums and revise ah well

although all my friends have finished exams... but i've still got C3 left... ergh, evil C3 ¬¬

i don't know anyone who's gone to somewhere amazing... i know there was a girl in our school who went to Cambridge, and there's a boy in the year above who got an interview... but no further than that
Niki_girl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phia7)
There is a neg-stalker following you! :lolwut:
:eek: I feel very, very afraid.....it's like being stalked in real life, only virtual....

oh wait...it's only "rep"....I'm fine

"reputation" only exists because you think it does maybe people will think I'm hardcore if a get a red gem thing or something
tohuwabohu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:console: it will get better, there are people who can help you.... :lol:
Oh yes! We're all going to run away from you screaming "she's got negative rep! Aah!" :eek3:

(Original post by Niki_girl)
:eek: I feel very, very afraid.....it's like being stalked in real life, only virtual....

oh wait...it's only "rep"....I'm fine

"reputation" only exists because you think it does maybe people will think I'm hardcore if a get a red gem thing or something
Mr Inquisitive
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Reminisce)
Anyhow, if you have already chosen Oxford whether for the location or its tutorial teaching system, etc. then post a brief profile of yourself and discuss with the other posters on this thread (I'll start off):
Username: Mr Inquisitive
Subject: PPE
AS-Level (predictions): English Literature (A), Mathematics (A), Economics (A), History (A), Politics (A).
College: Possibly Somerville? It was amazing when I visited in February.
milkytea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has anyone else been invited to the PPE event on July the 5th?
irina793
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apply 2012 opened up! It has officially begun. Good luck everyone!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.64%
No (521)
72.36%

Watched Threads